The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Flatbad Plans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flatbad Plans?

I saw a thread a few days ago asking if anybodyknew where to get some plans to build a flatbed. I am interested in this too but i could not find the thread again.

Anyways if you know any sites that have detailed plans to build a flatbed please tell me.

I found this thread and i like the 2nd pick down. if anybody knows where that is from, that would be sweet.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...hlight=flatbed
Old 05-28-2004, 03:59 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
There use to be a page on the 'Net with about 20 different flatbeds on it, and most were sweet looking.

I wish I had saved the entire page to my hard drive, as the page is now defunct.
http://www.sonic.net/jkwaters/Tech/f..._the_bunch.htm
Maybe it's moved, as it had once before.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a post that I originally made on 4x4wire.com. Hope this helps.

Here's some info on mine. I used 1.5" square tubing with 1/8" wall. So far it has held up just fine. It's been about a year since I started mine and all I have is the tube frame. I haven't ever gotten around to getting diamond plate or something to finish it. I cut a piece of plywood to fit for those special occasions when I need to throw a cooler or tent back there. I used about 60' of tubing and my (unfinished) bed weighs about 135 lbs.

I built the top hoop first. It's about 5'x5', so it's about 1' shorter than the original bed:

Then I built the bottom of the bed, and connected it to the top hoop with 6" vertical pieces. In this picture you can see my wooden prototype leaning against the left wall of the garage:

One step closer to being finished:
Old 05-28-2004, 07:17 PM

That looks sweet. I never even thought of building a prototype. What year is your truck? And did you have to put spacers or something on for bigger tires?
Old 05-29-2004, 04:45 AM

I've been looking at flatbeds lately also. I searched on Pirate for flat bed pictures and found tons of posts. The yellow Truck in the other YT post is a flatbed kit you can buy, and weld together yourself from All Pro Offroad. I think that other truck is on Pirate also. The back bar and rack are removable. That one is nice. There also is a post on the Pirate board called Pictures off your favorite Toyotas. Its like 20+ pages long with lots of flatbeds.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by terky
What year is your truck? And did you have to put spacers or something on for bigger tires?
It's an '88.

The front suspension is completely stock (no torsion bar crank or anything), until later today when I'll finally get my ball joint spacers installed.

The rear is lifted ~1" with Conn-Ferr shackles (I think they're out of business now), but since my springs are so sagged the shackles bring it right back to where it should be.

Tires are 32x10.50 Super Swamper Radials.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:39 AM

Ok thanks for all the info guys, i will go search pirate now.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:01 PM

Ok i went out and took some measurements and drew up a little sketch of the flatbed frame.

I was wondering if anybody knows the laws about having a bed off up here? I know that mudflaps have to go down halfway through the axle, but do i need to have the wheel wells to help stop water being thrown around? I cant find any info on that and i think it would be easier to build the bed if i take the old one off 1st.

Anyways thanks for the help.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by terky
I was wondering if anybody knows the laws about having a bed off up here? I know that mudflaps have to go down halfway through the axle, but do i need to have the wheel wells to help stop water being thrown around? I cant find any info on that and i think it would be easier to build the bed if i take the old one off 1st.
Tread must be covered by the "wheel well", and you've got the mud flaps correct. So if you take the bed off you can't drive it until you have the new one completed, and make sure it covers the tread or add some sort of flares to it.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:50 AM

ok thanks
Old 06-01-2004, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Shane
Tread must be covered by the "wheel well", and you've got the mud flaps correct. So if you take the bed off you can't drive it until you have the new one completed, and make sure it covers the tread or add some sort of flares to it.
So all the commercial trucks that drive around with the tread exposed are illegal? Particularly with semi-trucks that don't have trailers?
Old 06-01-2004, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
So all the commercial trucks that drive around with the tread exposed are illegal? Particularly with semi-trucks that don't have trailers?
You would think so, but then they still have flaps behind the wheels. Like I said, it's a stupid law that seems very open to interpretation. The only rocks that have ever hit my windshield came from little econo cars or from an uncovered load. These laws make about as much sense as the AWB.