Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety Flag

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety Flag

ok this isn't a club run, but i will msot likely be heading out to pismo the weekend folling the 4th of july... a friend has a couple sandrails and said i should come along and also play with me truck for the weekend.... anyways, not sure if this is the right forum or not... but.... where can i get the safety flags? and where would be the best place to mount it and how on my pickup

so far only found the firestik stuff.... would i mount it with a spring like my cb? would a hood channed cb antenna mount be strong enough? should i add a quik release to it? also firestick said the flags are available seperately.. cna i also toss a flag onto the top of my cb antenna for extra visibility?
Old 05-15-2005, 09:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a lifetime desert rider here are a few tips about whips:

You can buy a whip & flag at most every (Japanese) motorcycle dealer that is in the nearest city to you.

Checkerd flags USUALLY mean that that person is willing to help you out should you have trouble, whether it be a tow, recovery or tools, ect. So dont get a checkered unless your willing to help others too or dont mind someone asking. I am sure the style of the flag changes but in So Cal its checkered.

On a truck the best place to mount a whip is on the front bumper. Reason being is that as you climb dunes it will been seen alot sooner being up front than if it were on the rear of the truck. Rember S_hit happens and being seen is the reason you want a whip to begin with.

Most whips have a hollow 3/4" mounting bolt and nut so if your whip breaks you can just loosen the nut and slide it down alittle. Of course you can drill a hole in the bumper or make a simple mount that attaches to your lower valance or radiator support.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoCal4Running
AYou can buy a whip & flag at most every (Japanese) motorcycle dealer that is in the nearest city to you.

by this you mean a motorcycle dealer that has motocross bikes right, not a Harley dealer?

also, from the firestik site, it looks like they are the same size as a cb antenna? is this right? would it be wise to mount it on a front bumper with a cb quik release and a spring? or should i jsut forget the spring or what? my bumper is flimsy.... i was thinking of putting it on a cb hood channel moun way up front.... like this quik photshop i just did.... taller of course
Attached Thumbnails Safety Flag-antmount.jpg  
Old 05-15-2005, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea anyplace that sells dirt bikes will have whips for sale.

Personally I would not mount it on a spring because you want it to be as high as possible and not laid over from the wind. CB antennas need the spring because theres alot of wind resistance at 80MPH but your not going to be going that fast in the sand, and if you are going that fast take take pictures

I dont know about CB mounts because I always made my own but if it fits I say go for it.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Banned

anyone have experience with the stuff from firestik? im probably going to go with them as their stuff says it actually bolts onto a cb mount... pretty muc hcan get everything right there online....
Old 05-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I made my own flag for Pismo. Used 2 - 5' chimney sweep brush handle extensions (fiberglass w/ metal screw ends) and screwed that onto a stud attached to the front bumper. A piece of red nylon for the flag. It worked very well:

Old 05-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I made my own flag for Pismo. Used 2 - 5' chimney sweep brush handle extensions (fiberglass w/ metal screw ends) and screwed that onto a stud attached to the front bumper. A piece of red nylon for the flag. It worked very well:

look at the cool winch, it works backwards wait a minute you have a winch, hopefully you were just bored and leaning against the bumper and not actually trying to move your truck
Old 05-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Actually, the truck is pushing me along. Put it in low-low and hopped in front and let it shove me along pushing up the sand in front of my feet. Had the tires down in the 1-2 psi range and they had then cool bias ply wrinkle on the sidewalls.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Actually, the truck is pushing me along. Put it in low-low and hopped in front and let it shove me along pushing up the sand in front of my feet. Had the tires down in the 1-2 psi range and they had then cool bias ply wrinkle on the sidewalls.
This is sort of a hi-jack, but I had to ask- 1-2psi? It doesn't look like you have beadlocks, whats the deal? Can you go that low in the sand with regular wheels without worries?

It won't help on Jeopardy, but I want to know anyway.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Banned

for slow wheeling you can do it... and he has bias plies... not radials..... they behave differntly than a radial does
Old 05-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ianshoots
This is sort of a hi-jack, but I had to ask- 1-2psi? It doesn't look like you have beadlocks, whats the deal? Can you go that low in the sand with regular wheels without worries?

It won't help on Jeopardy, but I want to know anyway.
Depends a lot on the vehicle, wheel, tire and terrain. No beadlocks and never lost a bead that time or other times that low in the snow. I started at 10 and kept dropping air until the tires started working well. My digital gauge reads down to 2.5 psi then drops to a 0.0 reading. I was well below the cutoff pressure:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/PismoBea...#DrivingInSand

The Swampers have very stiff sidewalls, when I first got them, I pulled the valve stems and found that just the sidewalls would support the 4Runner. But at low enough pressure and they wrinkle up just like the big slicks on the top fuel dragsters.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 05-18-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

I just picked up a flag for my bike today at a motorcycle shop for 11 bucks. Can go wrong with that.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Depending on how tall you want, bicycle shops also sell 6 to 8 foot fiberglass poles with orange flags and a handy little bracket that will go under one of your bumper bolts..