Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Looking at a 2.7 and 3.4

Old 09-18-2015, 05:20 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Looking at a 2.7 and 3.4

First post over in this section...Sorry it's a long post. If you read it, thanks!

I've been traveling around, and partially living in, my 78 Chinook. I've started to think my lifestyle calls more for a 4x4 truck, with a small, hopefully fiberglass camp trailer in tow.

So..I've googled and read as much about the 2.7 vs 3.4 as I can handle, so no, I don't need to beat that dead horse. At least not too much...

All I really want in life is a regular cab, 4 cylinder 4x4. There's a 2001 for sale that fits the description. 190K. 2nd owner. Then there's a 1998 V6 extended cab TRD, on it's second owner, both owners are friends of mine and I've known the truck since new. Same mileage. $2,200 more. Which is significant for me right now.

So I've been driving around with a camper on the back of a 1978, 2wd 20R truck. I don't need a lot of power. But I'd like something with brakes which can better handle weight, and yeah, a little more power would be nice. But I've always had 4 cylinders. The V6 seems intimidating, and I don't think I'd be able to work on it as well.

Other than that, it seems like some 2.7 owners get bettter mileage than 3.4 owners, some don't. This guy is claiming 19mpg highway, 16 town. I think my friends 3.4 gets the same. Is it just inherent that some engines on certain trucks just don't work as well as all their brothers and sisters, or do you think it's maintenence or something? Is this 2.7 just one of the ones that won't get good mileage?

Reading through threads it seems like some people get good mileage with them, some don't. We can't know all the circumstances.

Any other insight would be great. I would definitely be towing a bit, but probably 60% of the time, it'd just be my DD.

There was a thread where some reasonable people agreed that the difference between the two engines really just comes down to "chest pounding", in some sense. Both can tow a 17' fiberglass trailer, SAFELY (my big concern). It's just that some people want to do it with power, easily. Others are fine with something that just gets the job done. Power would sure be nice, but mostly, it just needs to get the job done for me to be happy.

But will towing with the shortbed, regular cab 4 cylinder be sketchy? Prematurely kill the truck faster than it would the 3.4? Worse gas mileage with the 2.7 because I'd be flooring it more? Any safety issues?

Thanks

Last edited by 83; 09-18-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:25 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
You have a lot going on here, but I'll try to add some insight.

The 3.4 hands down makes more power than the 2.7. So not only will you be more capable with your cap, you will have more power to pull the trailer.

The extended cab will give you better stability over a standard cab.

You didn't mention wether either have a standard transmission. Personally I like standard shift over automatics for towing due to the better control and application of power.

The 3.4 is susceptible to pink milkshake, but is easily avoided with an auxiliary trans cooler.

I understand money is a motivator. However having room to grow may be worth the investment. I don't know your financials, so I don't know where you stand.

As far as braking goes, they should be the same. I don't know if the upgrade translates to Tacomas that exists in the 4Runner world, but look into the Tundra brake upgrade. It involves swapping the rotors and calipers to larger Tundra pieces.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:34 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Also I had a '94 std can 4x4 with a 22RE. I towed some ridiculous stuff over the years. 2 yards of mulch on a trailer was a weekly activity. I would use the transfer case as a hi-lo box and essentially run as an 8 speed trans. But I drive trucks so this is something comfortable doing. Your mileage may vary.

Can you cam your 20r for more power? I rebuilt my 22RE with a cam, oversized valves, cleaned and balanced injectors, headers, and a big exhaust. Maybe $2k in parts and services and made enough usable power for me.

How much room for expansion do you want? How much work do you want to put in? And don't be intimidated by the V6, if you are comfortable working on a 4, you'll be find with a 6.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:48 AM

Both trucks are manual transmission.

My 20R has a camper built onto it (see avatar photo). It does fine for me. Just sick of sometimes living in it, but then I get a job with housing provided, and suddenly a 1978 2wd pickup with a camper built onto it is my DD. And it's useless in the winter. Would be nice to have a 4x4 and be able to detach from the camper and have a "normal" DD. So there will be no modding of the 20R. It and the truck/rv will be sold.

I guess my other question is just about whether other 2.7 owners have noticed that some just get better gas mileage than others, or if it comes down to maintanence and driving style?

Seems no one says "you can't tow a 17' camp trailer safely with the 2.7", so I'll cross that one off the list.

"Room to grow" is not an issue for me. I'm a simple guy. Just the idea of owning a camper seems excessive to me. It's only the fact that I'm mostly living in which makes it ok. 17' is likely as big as I'll ever go.
Thanks!

Last edited by 83; 09-18-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Bottom line the 3.4 towing will get better fuel mileage .

Higher resale value if you decide to go with a Tundra

Your mileage depends on what part of the country and how much weight your hauling around

Then you really can`t go by mileage of other people one would have to keep super strict records .

You have more room your going to get more plunder

Is this going to be a new learning experience backing up a trailer.

If fuel mileage is the only thing go 3.4 and don`t look back

since you know both sellers find a trailer take both for a test ride pulling the trailer

It does not get better then that same day comparison !!

Last edited by wyoming9; 09-18-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:03 AM

No, I don't know the seller of the 2001 regular cab 2.7. Both trucks are on their second owners. I know both the owners of the 1998 3.4. I don't have a trailer but could probably find one...but the trucks are in different towns, and I'm not in either of those towns.

I have very little experience with trailers, but the little I've driven with them, I can tell that I'll be ok with. I'll mostly avoid backing whenever possible, but at my currently skill level I can get it done. Once I actually own one, I'll get competent with it soon enough.

Well, the owner of the 2001 2.7 is telling me I wouldn't be happy with it as a tow vehicle, and has been a little slow to respond, but current everyone-has-internet-everywhere-they-go standards. If he doesn't want to sell it to me, I guess I won't push it too hard.

A 3.4, extended cab TRD truck is just more truck than I need, or really even want. I like a simple truck. But...the 3.4 is just sitting in garage, waiting for me to come test drive it and buy it if I want it. Doesn't get much easier than that.

If the 2001 is a hassle and the guy isn't excited to sell it to me, I guess why should I try to buy it? Because I want it, that's why! But...I'm not that stupid, to push real hard for something clearly not meant to be. I'll see what I've heard from him at the end of the day, and if he's acting like he doesn't want to sell it to me, I'll take the hint.

I just see the 3.4 being more than I want, with higher repair costs (and maybe more repairs) in the long run.

I appreciate everyone's insight. Thanks. And keep it coming if you have ideas...
Old 09-18-2015, 02:36 PM

Red face

You know your own mind

Get what you want.

All I can say riding in the 4 cylinder I asked does this need a fuel filter or a tune up.

After I let her drive my 3.4 hers was for sale the next day.

Just your normal horse women hauling hay and other horsesy stuff.

Very much happy with the same truck in a 3.4
Old 09-18-2015, 04:13 PM

If they were both regular cab (not available in 3.4 so far as I know but either way...not one for sale right now), I'd have an easier time deciding.

I'm definitely intimidated by working on the 3.4. I can do a head gasket no problem on my 20R, and so 22RE also, and I'd guess that translates over to the 2.7 pretty well. The 3.4...not so much. And it'll need a timing belt in the next 20,000 miles.

Anyway, the 2001 2.7 guy didn't return my last text, and the ad is down off craigslist, so that makes the decision a whole lot easier

I know the 2.7 will just be a slightly more powerful "R" series engine. A big improvement from the 22RE, but no powerhouse. To me, that's plenty. But in this case, at this moment in time with what's up for sale out there...the 3.4 wins by default. Having known this truck since it was brand new is definitely a huge selling point.

I just really wanted that regular cab 2.7

Thanks. I know I won't regret it when hook up my future camper, probably next spring.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3.4 xtra cab

You will love it, or someone else will...
Old 09-19-2015, 01:05 AM

Red face

Just curious why don`t you like the extra cab??

Having one I could never go back to the regular cab.

Granted my use is different I put interesting things back there Plasma cutters , wire feeders, inverter welders and things .

My tool box my ratchet straps

If I Go on a road trip a cooler fits back there nice.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:22 AM

It's just one of those things, counter-intuitive and counter-productive about me. When I'm in a nice, extended cab truck, I can't even tell I'm in a truck.

Something about a regular cab 4x4 that just feels like "yep, I'm in a truck". It feels like a pickup to me. We have a few crew cab GMCs for work, and had a 90s Ford F150 regular cab. I don't love Fords, but I loved driving that truck. The crew cab GMCs are great. But I feel like I'm in a lifted Cadillac or something.

Along with that, I've always had 70s and 80s 4 cylinders. To me, something about that weak but well-geared engine, in a regular cab truck...I just know where all of the truck is when I'm off road, where the wheels are, etc.

I don't know. In a un-optioned, regular cab 4 cylinder 4x4, I'm just at home. And feel like I'm in a no frills, all business truck. And I've come to love the "tin can" feeling. Too much insulation and sound-deadening and again...just doesn't feel like what I've come to associate with a truck. I'll get over it.

But yeah. No doubt I'm going to love the V6, and love the space of the extended cab. No doubt at all.

But man...for $7,000 and 190,000 miles, I'm honestly going to **gasp!** check out some domestic trucks. Everybody says you can get a bigger engine, bigger truck (not that I want a bigger truck) which gets better gas mileage, plus can tow more, and will probably be way cheaper with way less miles.

But of course that's not worth it if the Toyota will outlast it, and with fewer problems. We'll see

Last edited by 83; 09-19-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, I needed a tow rig too.
I got a Chevy van and have so much room and all the towing capacity I'll ever need, plus I can sleep in it too.
Nothing travels better than a van.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I would certainly vote for the 3.4, I own one but have driven a lot of 2.7 hilux's and although they get close to 30mpg's even loaded down compared to more like 20mpg's with the 3.4, it's worth it to me for the power. The smaller motor is great but just doesn't feel anywhere near enough. The 3.4 is perfect.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:35 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
my 97 taco with a 2.7 never got much more that 20, and i bought it new off the lot.
none of the 7 4x4 toyota trucks and 4Runners I have owned have been mileage champs
Old 09-20-2015, 03:30 AM

Red face

I have no idea how some people get these very high mileage claims .

Other then a quick calculation in my head when filling up I never really was to concerned about my mileage .

Maybe left over from the K20 4x4 that took $80.00 to fill when it was at 1/2 tank with both tanks holding 54 gallons

If I was worried about fuel costs I would get a Motorcycle again.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:06 AM

Yeah 30 is great. 2wd?

In all the threads I've read online in the last week or so, there were only a few people claiming more than 21 or 22mpg out of their 2.7. Guy who was selling this one only claimed 19 highway. Consensus seemed to be, from what I could find, that the 2.7 will only really get me 1-3mpg higher than the 3.4 on average. And when towing, that'll drop down more since the 2.7 is working harder.

All that taken into consideration...I'd still rather the 2.7. I'm used to the 4 cylinders and driving a truck that relies on the gears more than a powerful engine. It'll be a change for me to have a powerful engine. But who knows. I might be a convert once I get used to it!

I DO care about gas mileage. I'll be giving up an awesome Subaru Loyale. Not as cool as the GL wagons with dual range 4wd, but it does have 4wd HI. I easily get 30mpg on the highway, as long as I keep it at 70mph, and I don't care what anyone says, a 4wd Subaru wagon with fully independent suspension beats a truck in everything except clearance, when it comes to "normal" driving, even offroad. Snow especially. I honestly think only a snowmobile would do better in the snow than my Suby, in 4wd, with studded tires. Unstoppable.

Anyway...I would not be happy with a truck, especially one so small, getting under 20mpg on the highway. I'm fine keeping it at 70mph. But if I was only to get 17-19mpg on the highway, it'd be a problem. I don't udnerstand why Toyota can't make a truck this small get better mileage than that.

Anyway.

Mostly likely, in a couple weeks, I'll be the owner of a 98 V6 TRD Tacoma. So I'll probably be around here asking a few questions. New leaf springs and probably some air bags in the back will be the first project.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2015, 06:52 PM

The last ones I drove (2.7's) were Hiluxes overseas and were 2014's I believe and something around 5k kilometers on the ODO, they no kidding pushed 30mpg's regularly even with lots of gear/weight and driving crappy roads.

And yes, 4WD to boot.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:55 AM

Crazy. Maybe different gas over there or something...
Old 09-21-2015, 06:15 PM

I'm almost positive that the gas didn't have any ethanol in it, that does make a big difference I'm sure!