Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powertax No-slip

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powertax No-slip

Anyone know anything about the Powertrax No-slip? I'm wanting more traction and I don't have the money for the ARB right now , but I don't want a noisy lunchbox locker. I've heard some good things about the Powertrax No-Slip, but can't seem to find an application for a 3rd gen rear-end. Does anyone run this in their 3rd gen or know what model number it is for my rig?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Powertrax is a lunch box type unit. I have it in my Downey catalog, right here.

It is nearly identical in design to my aussie, except that it's windows for the shear pins are much much larger (Aussie claims this degrades the powertrax's strength)

They have a unit that will fit a 95-01 tacoma, t-100, or tacoma 8" (It does not say 4runner, but isn't it the same axle?)

The cost through downey is 449.00

Give downey a call and they can help you decide if that unit will fit or not, but be aware that it is a lunchbox locker.

If you're going to go this route, I recommend the Aussie locker (www.offroadlockers.com) it has behaved well for me.

If you don't want a lunch box locker....check out the detroit soft locker. It is supposedly soft like the no slip or aussie, but requires you to replace the full carrier like a detroit or ARB.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by deathrunner
The Powertrax is a lunch box type unit. I have it in my Downey catalog, right here.

It is nearly identical in design to my aussie, except that it's windows for the shear pins are much much larger (Aussie claims this degrades the powertrax's strength)

They have a unit that will fit a 95-01 tacoma, t-100, or tacoma 8" (It does not say 4runner, but isn't it the same axle?)

The cost through downey is 449.00

Give downey a call and they can help you decide if that unit will fit or not, but be aware that it is a lunchbox locker.

If you're going to go this route, I recommend the Aussie locker (www.offroadlockers.com) it has behaved well for me.

If you don't want a lunch box locker....check out the detroit soft locker. It is supposedly soft like the no slip or aussie, but requires you to replace the full carrier like a detroit or ARB.
That was my question as well, i'm not sure if the 8'' in the tacoma and t-100 is the same as the 4runner or not and I've searched and can't find a definitive answer. I know they all have a 30 spline count I think. I was thinking of doing the Aussie as well. I talked to Bill from Aussie when they first introduced the locker, and he said they were making one for the 4runner, but he never did write me back with a confirmation on this and I don't see it listed for the 3rd Gen 4Runner on their website. How are the manners of the Aussie? I do a lot of city driving when i'm at school and I just don't want to be chirping the tires and clicking and popping everytime I try to parallel park or make a sharp turn.

Last edited by Jonathan; 03-14-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
jonathan,

researched this route to death about a month ago! basically if you dont want the clunk of the lunch box-type lockers, youre either going to have to wait for aussie locker to come out w/ their 3rd gen 4runner lockers (which is a lunch box type) or rob a bank and get the ARB selectable locker w/ air compressor.

the other option (while not technically a locker) is to buy a detroit true-trac. its an LSD but a few guys that have it here and on 4x4wire say its awesome on the road and gives better traction off-road as well. the most common statement i kept reading was "its great on the road and helps off-road...and its definitely better than having an open diff"

thus, i'll probably get a detroit true trac since I use my 4runner mostly on-road and occassionally off-road.

bob
Old 03-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
jonathan,

researched this route to death about a month ago! basically if you dont want the clunk of the lunch box-type lockers, youre either going to have to wait for aussie locker to come out w/ their 3rd gen 4runner lockers (which is a lunch box type) or rob a bank and get the ARB selectable locker w/ air compressor.

the other option (while not technically a locker) is to buy a detroit true-trac. its an LSD but a few guys that have it here and on 4x4wire say its awesome on the road and gives better traction off-road as well. the most common statement i kept reading was "its great on the road and helps off-road...and its definitely better than having an open diff"

thus, i'll probably get a detroit true trac since I use my 4runner mostly on-road and occassionally off-road.

bob
Yeah I looked into the trutrac as well and, I just can't see paying that much for a limited slip and then having to pay someone to install it, because it's more involved than installing a lunchbox locker. From what I understand the brake biasing technique seems to work pretty good for completely locking it up, but it seems like it would be kind of a challenge for us with 5 speeds. So i guess you've confirmed that the tacoma and t-100's axles are different from ours? Do you know when they are projecting the aussie to come out for the 3rd gen?

Last edited by Jonathan; 03-14-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Or you could always snag an entire e-locked axle from a junk yard and do the swap. It's not that hard, really.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Or you could always snag an entire e-locked axle from a junk yard and do the swap. It's not that hard, really.
I thought about this too, how hard is it to wire up the locker? Did you buy the locker ECU from Toyota or did you wire it some other way?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Banned

www.inchwormgear.com has all the wiring you need for install for like $70

you will need to modify the axle housing consisting of filling some holes, grinding and welding in a couple of new studs but its looks pretty easy and there is a writeup on www.4x4wire.com i beleive
Old 03-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
[you will need to modify the axle housing consisting of filling some holes, grinding and welding in a couple of new studs but its looks pretty easy and there is a writeup on www.4x4wire.com i beleive
He wont need to do all that if he swaps the ENTIRE axle (housing and all) like I did. It took me about 2 hours to physically swap the entire axle and put the suspension back together. The wiring was in fact the hardest part. "Hard" in the sense that running the wiring from the locker to the Toyota ECU was a bit tricky. I had the wires all crossed, so I had to redo it though, my fault.

I got my ECU from ABQ_Jim here on Yotatech for $50. I am sure you could snag the ecu from the donor rig. It's just a little module under the left side of the dash that also does something with the ABS.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:17 PM

Personally I would do the e-locker if you have the choice.

Email aussie, they got back to me quickly about every one of my questions.

As far as the aussie behavior. It isn't bad. BUT, it is a locker. When you hit the gas, it locks, plain and simple. IF you gas a turn it will chirp or squeal depending on how long you hold the pedal. Parking lot manuevers are a little quirky at times, but I expected them so it isn't bad.

It will take you a second to relearn your vehichle. Simply dump the clutch on tight turns or corners. This causes the ratcheting sound rather than the chirp. (The ratcheting sound is inaudible unless I have the stereo and fan off ....it's that quiet)

You'll be surprised what a locker can help you through, this thing amazes me constantly. For the type of wheeling I do, I think a rear locker will be enough.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome thanks guys!

Christian- might be in touch with you soon, I'm capable of switching the axles, but i'll probably need some help on the wiring, this is of course if I can find an entire axle.

Deathrunner- I still might go with the aussie if this doesn't pan out. It would be a definite if I wasn't in the city all day long, but I definetly want to get something soon.

I'll keep ya'll posted and if anyone has any more suggestions, let me hear em
Old 03-14-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonathan
this is of course if I can find an entire axle.
...unless i find it first!

yeah, these complete rear axles w/ elockers are a B to find.

i cant wait for that aussie locker to come out. i read a review on pirate's forum and the guy who did it said it was really quiet as compared to other lunchbox lockers.

(you hearin' this, aussie lockers?!? you got a market ready and waiting!)

bob
Old 03-15-2005, 02:42 AM

Hello,

I know that ARB or E-Lockers are best, but if like me you can't or don't want to afford that, I recommend you to put an Aussie or a Detroit Soft Locker.

I run Aussie in front and Detroit Soft Locker in the rear. I wanted to put both Aussies but my 4Runner had factory LSD so I haven't an open carrier.

Bill Cole from Aussie is a great man and answered patiently my ton of emails asking for all the details.

The Aussie and the Soft Locker are quiet. I only notice the Soft Locker in tight turns if accelerating.

I'm anxious to test them in the trail.

David
Old 03-15-2005, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Blizzard
I'm anxious to test them in the trail.

David
Wow! You're going to be amazed at what you can go thru and how easy it is to climb over things!

Remember, being locked front and rear changes the way your vehicle handles, especially on side hill or off-camber situations. If the soil is soft or loose, like in snow, mud, sand or gravel, you will tend to slide down hill. This is true w/ a rear locker too, but the front locker makes it worse.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:50 PM

Thanks, I'll have it in mind.

I've tested a little the lockers today, in a hole leaving the truck with 2 tires off the ground, what a difference!

David
Old 03-15-2005, 06:54 PM

There is no Aussie locker for the V-6 8" Toy diff.

The Powertrax is a locker.

Any lunchbox locker is going to click and bang, that is the name of the game.

I could not imagine wheeling open diffs. It will blow your mind.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:00 PM

Hey all,
I just finished reading everybodys replys and have learned a lot. I have a 95 4runner v6,auto. I use it alot on the highway but out on trails more now

I just got through talkin about the Powertrax with one of the guys at Central 4wd (Cali) He siad its a pretty reliable piece. I was just wondering if its a smoother reaction with a auto trans? I guess though lunchbox is lunchbox.
if I do this Im throwin in the 4.88s as well. I still am amused(as well as others that I took open difs out on CA4WD's winter fun fest lol ! Only needed yanking once and a push to back out of a scary trail.(deep snow and steep drop off not fun when you start sliding...)