Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Giving up on Aussie, now a Lockrite or No-Slip and why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Giving up on Aussie, now a Lockrite or No-Slip and why?

As title suggests, I'm tired of waiting on the Aussie. They're just too short on them and it looks like it may be a while before they cartch up. Now that I'm considering a Powertrax product I have a choice, a lockright or a no-slip. Overall the No-Slip seems like a better product but I was hoping for some opinions from people that have used both.

Vehicle is a '95 truck (pre taco) with a 22re and a 5 speed. 3rd member has fresh 5.29 gears in it and will be pulling 36x13.5 Iroks. Over 95% of the driving in this truck will be on the road. I do very little offroading, but I'm sure I'll start again when the truck is prepared for it.

The locker will be in a Zuk setup rear 3rd so a regular locker is out of the question because then I'd have to have it set up again by some local idiot, so I'm looking at a lunchbox locker. That way I can keep the 3rd setup the way it is, and still be locked.

Any opinions?

No-Slip worth the extra $150?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:42 PM

I'm taking no responses as meaning there's not that much of a difference or no one has run both.

Anyhow, after talking to a few vendors I'm just going to go with a Lockright. I can get it shipped to me for $246 and it seems like its every bit as good as an Aussie.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ran a powertrax in a landcruiser... Clunky in a parking lot.

Can you run a LSD? I think they are lunchbox. I have heard them described as 80% or something, some people love them though. I have dever driven one.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
LSD is not lunchbox. It would require re setting up the backlash on the gears, nothing else, just like a detriot or non lunchbox.

I don't know what the difference is in the other two mentioned orginally. Sorry.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:21 AM

I had a long discussion with Alex over at Performance Offroad Center and he informed me that basically the similarity between Powertrax and Aussie is almost the same as the similarity between Marlin and Trail Gear.

The guy that makes the Aussies used to work for the guy that Makes the Lockrites. He left and couldn't make anything due to a non-compete, but when Richmond or whoever bought them purchased the company that was making the Lockrite, the guy started selling Aussie's over here the next week.

According to him, and I have never heard anyone else bash an Aussie, the Aussie is not just similar to a Lockrite, it is identical except that it is made out of cheaper materials.

And, he said he gets a lot of the No-Slips back because they either fail or people just don't like them, and he strongly recommended the Lockrite.

The only drawback is that the Lockrite has a tire size limitation supposedly of 33" and I'll be running 36's so I guess no waranty for me (as if they'd come all the way to Florida and check...). But as I said I'lll be doing like no offroading at all so it should be fine.

And the bottom line, he'll ship me a Lockrite for $246 and he has them in stock now. I'll probably order one in a few hours when they open up. Of course there will be a review thread.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:40 AM

Been running my powertrax for 3 yrs.No problems.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:48 AM

Is that a No-Slip or a Lockrite?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:15 AM

Btw, here's a great thread discussing the similarities and differences between the Aussie and Lockrite. Seems like this explains the story I talked about above too between the two companies.

http://staging.forums.overlander.com...32ca233b2e2e8b

Added for archive purposes.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:18 AM

Lockrite.It's basically an auto locker,very simple to install.It engages with power and ratchets when you let off the gas on corners or in parking lots.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:43 AM

i ordered my aussie a few weeks ago, and finally got a tracking number yesterday it will be here in a week, had i known it would have taken this long then i would of not gotten it but now it is coming and ill use the piss outta it
Old 03-03-2007, 04:51 AM

I called them a few weeks ago and told them I wanted one, and they took my number and said they'd call which of course they didn't. I PM'd Aussielocker on Pirate a week or so later and was told they still weren't in, and then I posted in the thread again on Monday and here is his reply:

Sorry but the shipment we just got only had about 30 in it and those were sold months ago. Our next shipment is in 9 business days and they told us that they had added some more XD20830 lockers to the shipment, but they never tell us how many until they are boxed and ready to load on the flight. You might want to consider placing an order at www.aussielocker.com later next week and get in the queue for the locker as they are selling as fast as Australia can manufacture them. We apologize for this delay.
So I guess even if I had ordered and was in the que I still wouldn't have gotten one.

Since learning they these are virtually identical to the Lockright's, and seeing as how PORC is only a few days shipping away and had one in stock I'm just going to get that.

Since starting this thread I've read more good, and bad about the No-Slip but the story on the Lockright seems pretty solid. It's supposed to be every bit as good as an Aussie as long as you realize they are both prone to fail given the right circumstances.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

I threw a lockright in the front a couple weeks ago, if I get a rear, it'll probably be another lockright. Seems to be a good unit, enough so for what I use it
Old 03-03-2007, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

This is a nice description of the two. Powertrax products.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...x_tj/index.htm
Old 03-03-2007, 05:27 AM

I say skip the lunch box style lockers and go straight to a detroit or something. I know you said you wont be wheel'n much right now but you plan on getting back into it in the future, so why waist your money and have to do it twice when you brak that one. If your going to be running 36" tires I would definatly install something that will handle the abuse. And if you are not going to be wheel'n for awhile why not hold off and get something you can really use. Don't see any point in putting a mod like that on your rig if you are not going to use it. Just my opinion.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
i ordered my aussie a few weeks ago, and finally got a tracking number yesterday it will be here in a week, had i known it would have taken this long then i would of not gotten it but now it is coming and ill use the piss outta it
my arrived in ny on friday, and me and frankz are most likly gonna install it next sunday.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by bruzer
I say skip the lunch box style lockers and go straight to a detroit or something. I know you said you wont be wheel'n much right now but you plan on getting back into it in the future, so why waist your money and have to do it twice when you brak that one. If your going to be running 36" tires I would definatly install something that will handle the abuse. And if you are not going to be wheel'n for awhile why not hold off and get something you can really use. Don't see any point in putting a mod like that on your rig if you are not going to use it. Just my opinion.

You missed the part where I said that I had a 3rd from Zuk too. If I go with a real locker then I'd have to pay a local idiot to set it up for me and I really wanted to run the Zuk setup.

I got lucky and bought a 3rd he had that someone never paid for or else I would have ponied up for it at the same time. With what I have and what I want to do it just makes sense to run a lunchbox locker. Besides there are millions of people out there that are satisfied with them and from what I've read I'll be satisfied too.

And because I don't offroad that much I have a harder time justifying a larger expense to put one in too.

I can get a Lockright and put it in for $246 total. A Detroit softlocker will end up costing me about $750. Big difference for someone that wants to occasionally sling a little mud and be able to kick the rear end out on wet roads don't you think.

I do agree about doing it once and doing it right though. Only problem is that I'm running low on cash and have to install everything still. If money were no object I'd have gotten a Trailgear V6 3rd that was already setup with 5.29's and an ARB, but I'd really be a poser then for running that setup on the street.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being bitchy here, I'm really not. No matter how I type it always comes out argumentative. I'll appologize for that in advance.

I definitely want to be locked up back there so when I do go offroad I will do better. Nothing like a nice looking truck that get's stuck in gnat spit.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:58 AM

Btw, I called PORC back this morning and ordered the Lockright. $246 to my door.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive

The only drawback is that the Lockrite has a tire size limitation supposedly of 33" and I'll be running 36's so I guess no waranty for me (as if they'd come all the way to Florida and check...). But as I said I'lll be doing like no offroading at all so it should be fine.
er....sorry to probe....but if you won't be wheelin' the truck at all, why in the world do you want a locker?!? Seems like an LSD would be much better for your situation......
Old 03-03-2007, 08:30 PM

I have a powertrax in the rear of my DD and other than when its real slippery it handles fine. When its slippery I just have to keep from powering thru tight curves in 1st or 2nd gear. The flatbed is a good bit lighter than the stocker so it tends to snap around on me in the lower gears. I am running 35's with the stock 4.10s and no real complaints .Well other than I think powertrax should refund me the cost of 2 new leaf springs that the locker ate
Old 03-03-2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by van7559
my arrived in ny on friday, and me and frankz are most likly gonna install it next sunday.
Damn, why couldnt mine be here we could do mine as well... now you know since you will know how you will have to help me I am afraid now, your already good with your truck. Mine was in ohio yesterday so we shall see.

Quick Reply: Giving up on Aussie, now a Lockrite or No-Slip and why?