86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

a few questions 'bout lockers

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few questions 'bout lockers

I spent a good majority of yesterday reading 'bout different lockers. Most of them being auto-lockers. I would like to hear some of your guys' opinions/experiences. Any particular brand to stay away from. I read so much, that after awhile they just started to basically say the same thing.....at least to me anyway. Here is a list of the lockers I read about, and I think they would all fit my application, except for the Ausssie, but I have a different question 'bout that.

Powertrax Lockright
Powertrax No-Slip Locker
Detroit EZ Locker
Tractech Detroit SoftLocker

What the differences between the Powertrax Lockright and the No-Slip? From what I remember reading they are basically the same thing, aren't they? Or is the No-Slip more like a limited slip type deal?

Again, same question 'bout the Detroit EZ Locker and the Detroit Softlocker? Anybody have any experience with these in their Toyota's?

I like what I've read 'bout the Aussie, but they do not make a locker for my application. My truck in my sig. I'm leary 'bout putting in a 4cyl 3rd ('84-'89) into my v6 rear end. Would the 4cyl be strong enuff to withstand the v6? I know it's not a powerhouse engine, but...I don't want to grenade the rear end.

I would love to get my hands on a Toyota E-Locker, but I'm lacking the funds at the moment.

And the ARB setup is out of the question.....moneywise.

The locker is needed more for the snow and winter season here....for the moment.

Please, need opinions, experiences, and what would some of you guys do if you were me.......
Old 01-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
The locker is needed more for the snow and winter season here....for the moment.
LSD's are better in snow/ice and less likely to get you rotating in the slick stuff - not saying lockers are horrid or anything, you'll just need to learn how to drive a bit different with it in the slippery stuff
Old 01-01-2009, 11:33 AM

If I recall correctly the EZ locker and the Lock Rite are pretty much the same thing. I ran lock rites in my last rig front and rear. They are a very easy install and equally easy to rebuilt if you break them i.e. shearing off the pins or damaging the springs inside. Summit racing sells the build kit for really cheap, less than 20 bones.

My experience with them is that they are kind of loud when ratcheting (unlocking) and can often be pretty brutal re-engaging. My last rig was completely open so it may not be too bad in your 4runner. The sound of them does take some getting used; to me it seemed like I may have broken it a few times when I did not. However the nice thing is when it does fail (from my experience) it will lock, creating essentially a spool. This is nice depending on where you are, you are still capable of getting out/home. All in all for a daily driver and primary mode of transportation I would not run the ez locker or lock rite. I would spend a little more and get a detroit locker, as I do agree the ARB and E-locker are out of the price range for many (myself included).

good luck with which ever one you decide
Old 01-01-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've been running a Loc-rite in the rear of my 4rnr for the last 1.5yr. It has some quirks that a different from driving an open dif. ie: No more coasting through turns either clutch it or gas it.

On ice and shallow snow t is totally different than an open dif. As with the open difs you hit the gas and go with the locker hitting the gas makes both wheels slide and tend to want to fish tale. Which with now working on my second winter with I've come to realize that it is a good thing since with slick roads its not the going that wrecks you its the stopping so the locrite forces me to drive slower. Or put it in 4x and no problems

My frony is locked with a detroit (ezlocker) it seems to be much louder when it pops. But hell it takes me everywhere I've wanted to go.

If I remember correctly the ez locker, locrite, and aussie are all similar in design and I beleive design by the same guy. The evolution is the same as the order I listed above and that the aussie is the most user friendly as it has the the benefit of the lessons learned from the previous designs.

I've no experience with other detroits and will soon go to an ARB (found a helluva awesome deal) but I have been very impressed with my locrite and am only going to replace it becuase of the deal I got on the ARB. I also have another dif that was built with an aussie had planned on putting it in the front when I SAS but have not driven it and the ARB has changed that.

Last edited by muddpigg; 01-01-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:55 PM

Ok, I have also read somewhere, that having an auto tranny, the quirks seem less noticible. Is this true, with going around corners and stuff?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:00 PM

Sorry manual tranny. Talked to a suburban guy once that had a detroit he hated it but anyone who tries to make a good offroader out of a suburban ain't the best person to get information from in my opinion.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:09 PM

Lol, true, I agree with you on that 1. Least he isn't an Exploder driver.....
Old 01-01-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did a lot of research on this, and the conclusion I came to was that the Detroit Soft Locker is strongest and possibly the smoothest, but it didn't seem to be worth the extra money when I could spend half the price and get an Aussie (smoothest and most durable of lunchbox lockers).

I don't think you'll have any problem with a 4cyl third member. There are tonnes of buggies driving around on huge tires and multiple transfer cases. That's going to exert a LOT more torque than your V6 can put out.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Sorry manual tranny. Talked to a suburban guy once that had a detroit he hated it but anyone who tries to make a good offroader out of a suburban ain't the best person to get information from in my opinion.
I've only had good experiences with a detroit locker as with other that I've wheeled with. I think the problem comes in when people install a locker and expect it not to change their car's on road driving manors. Because of this I think people often get a skewed opinions like the suburban guy, me thinks.

It would make sense that in a automatic you would feel its engaging less. I would strongly suggest seeing if you can find someone with the locker you want and see if they will let you take it around the block or at the least give you a ride. Depending on what you are expecting out of the locker the ex locker or lock rite may get annoying in a daily driver.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
after awhile they just started to basically say the same thing.
That is absolutely true. All automatic lockers perform the same function, and basically work the same way, and have the same quirks.

Funds permitting, a selectable rear locker is the way to go. But if you're on a budget, the v6 lockrite is the way to go.

IMO just get a v6 lockrite and be done with it. The v6 setup is less expensive than a 4cyl one, and you don't have to buy another 3rd member.

In terms of strength, the pinion bearings on the v6 are bigger, but the diff carrier on a 4cyl is stronger because it's not held together with bolts.

My brother's old truck was a 92 4Runner v6 auto with a v6 lockrite. Works fine. The clicking of the diff is barely noticeable, certainly not alarming.

The tricky part is the installation.

Last edited by 86tuning; 01-01-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:48 PM

I have to tell you. Its not near as bad as you hear IMO. I love the rear lockright i have, end of story for me.

My advice to you, find someone who has one and give it a test drive. I think you will be suprised.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, ive getting fed up with getting stuck in the snow.
I was thinking about getting a aussie for the front? i have the locking hubs, so i can just disengage everything when driving on pavement and save up for the arb air for the rear.
good idea?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:21 PM

Rear locker first; it will do more good. I would only add a automatic locker in the front after adding the rear. I like to think of the front locker as icing on the cake. It allows you to take your truck to places you really want to go, but probably shouldn't.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
I was thinking about getting a aussie for the front? i have the locking hubs, so i can just disengage everything when driving on pavement and save up for the arb air for the rear.
good idea?

I've heard of doing this, try it if it sucks you can afford another autolocker before you can a selectable.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:15 PM

good idea?
I'd put the selectable up front and an automatic in the rear. I think that would be much more manageable. Tight steering in deep snow is tricky enough with 4wd alone, the locker would make it near impossible. Sure you could take it out of 4wd, but then you'd be stuck.

Rear locker and chains, and your unstoppable in snow. I doubt I really needed 4wd here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOv8Kybwwyw[/youtube]

Last edited by Matt16; 01-01-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced my stock 4cyl differential with the Detroit TrueTrac. I'm not a fan of the lunchbox lockers because I'm not a fan of the stock differential case. Having had to replace mine because it was worn out doesn't put me in a position of wasting money on anything that works with it. Its full dif replacements or nothing for me.

Also, it's just reassurance imo

the TrueTrac is OK but I will be putting a full Detroit or E-locker in at some point. Probably when I do my SAS, in which case the TrueTrac will go in the front axle.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:21 PM

ah good point...
hmm, only real way to solve it is to stop 4x4in in snow and smarten up.
i guess il save my money and buy a arb air for the rear
Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 PM

i was thinking... how about if i buy a power converter for my truck, air down my tires and bring my little air compressor with me!!
so i can air down, then air back up when im done..
Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 PM

i was thinking... how about if i buy a power converter for my truck, air down my tires and bring my little air compressor with me!!
so i can air down, then air back up when im done..
Do you have air conditioning? If not read "*York OBA* in my sig. Airing up a tire with an electric takes around 5-10min/tire. Airing up with a York takes about 20 sec/tire.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 PM

i run a lockrite in the rear of my 91 auto pu. it does great on the street and in the snow you just need to pop it in 4wd and you don't have any problems with the rear end kicking out. im going to put an arb in the front because i really liked the way you could turn it on and off depending on the situation. the lockrite does make a clicking noise when turning but you don't feel anything unless you are under heavy power going around a sharp turn ie 90* and then all it does is make one of the back tires squeal.

Quick Reply: a few questions 'bout lockers