Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OME Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OME Suspension Upgrade

Hi All,
Not necessarily new to yotatech, but posting for what I think is the second time. I have been reading and researching for a year and a half, waiting patiently for the funds to surface for my project. Anyway, I have purchased the OME suspension kit from rocky-road.com (they're into Suzukis and Jeeps, so I am experiencing a long lead time as apparently they don't stock these parts, for those that are interested ) for my 1987 Runner that includes the shocks, torsion bars, leaf springs, steering stabilizer, and leaf spring bushings with hopes of banishing the rear end sag and breathing a little life back into the ride that makes me smile when I think about how great it will be someday when it doesn't seem as though the rear axle is coming through the bed in the back.
Anyway, the reason for my post is to tap you all on your knowledge of installing what amounts to a 2" lift. What, if any, types of issues will I need to address with regard to brake line lengths, IFS drive axle angles, etc while I am installing this suspension system? I am trying to prepare for this exercise so that it goes quickly and smoothly. Thanks in advance...
Old 05-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Get a new set of torsion bar adjusting bolts, most likely you will break yours when you remove them.

You may want to put longer brake lines in, for DD duties you probably won't need them, but if you fully cycle the suspension, they might be close to fully steched. I think the downey 2" lift comes with the brake lines, you can for sure get longer lines from them.

If you don't have locking hubs, get them. if you crank the torsion bars you are going to want to disenguage the front CV's by unlocking the hubs to reduce wear when you are driving around day to day. If you have manual hubs you will be golden.

You did not mention shocks... are they included with the kit?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:40 PM

Thanks Duncan. Yes, this kit comes with the shocks and I have the manual hubs. I will check in to the brake lines to avoid the scenario that you mention in your post. Thanks for your recommendations!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:29 AM

Any updates? I have an 89 and am looking to do the same, just not all at once.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:01 AM

The OME kit should be pretty good. I've put them on Jeeps and they are top notch.

Rocky Road Outfitters is another story. Has decent stuff, but can be slow to non-existant in their communications. Dealt with them on Jeep items, mostly their shock bar pin eliminators.

When I lift my 86 PU 22R, I'll probably go with the OME based on my experience with their quality. I'll order from Dirk at DPG Offroad as he can beat almost any price on anything and is an ARB USA/OME dealer.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Taking a break from installing it now, should be finished by tonight. The rear went very well with the exception of having to order the hanger pin sleeve that the front leaf spring bolt rides in on the passenger's side. The sleeve should arrive at the dealership this afternoon. I also replaced the u-bolts with 3/4" longer ones made at a local spring shop as the OME spring pack is thicker than OEM.
The front has been an adventure because I am also replacing idler arm, pitman arm, tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints in addition to the OME shocks and torsion bars. Figured I may as well do it all at once and save the new parts from being worn out by the old parts. The torsion bar lock nuts have been the most difficult part. They're not rusted on, just over-tightened, my biggest pet-peeve when working on things that other people have touched! Other than that I can't wait to take it on and off road with the OME kit on it as it was quite a mess before this project. I can post the before and after pics if you guys are interested.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:51 AM

Update?

How's the OME stuff working out for you Shamus?

with hopes of banishing the rear end sag and breathing a little life back into the ride that makes me smile when I think about how great it will be someday when it doesn't seem as though the rear axle is coming through the bed in the back.
lol My thoughts exactley and why I've researched mild rear spring options for way to long. I think I've decided on the OME as well and would like to hear more. I'll remember to avoid Rocky Road, too bad they were one of the vendors I had narrowed down to.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:46 PM

I litteraly just bought the exact same kit form TRDparts (great service and very helpful) and I can't wait to get it on the truck. I'm not doing the T-bars yet, I went with BJ spacers, The T-bars will be done with the rest of the front end in a month or so. Keep us posted, I'd guess just about everyone who has had a 1st gen runner has been down this road, seeing as they ALL sag in the ass. Lol.

Dave
Old 06-22-2007, 02:50 PM

Old 08-07-2007, 02:22 AM

OK, hate to say it, but my truck is setteling in unevenly witht he OME's... I finaly got out and wheeled it, don't know it it's just cause I knly stuffed the left wheel and the fack that I have a large hunting tote box with all my gear in it behind the passenger (about 100lbs) but it's sitting about 1in lower on the left... Hope I can diagnose this tomorw.

Dave