Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 02:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

If you could, what exhaust for v6 3.0 engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you could, what exhaust for v6 3.0 engine

I have a 94 toyota pickup, 3.0 v6

I was wondering what exhuast would you guys get if there was no price range for you.

I want a nice sound from it, and dual exhaust coming out the back. Maybe chrome tips....

I'm just curious what on some suggestions. Thanks
Old 09-28-2004, 08:59 PM

Well if you want dual exhuast you'll have to split it after the cat. You can not legally put 2 cats on a truck that came from the factory with only one in most if not all states. Downey has a very nice set of ceramic coated headers. I highly recommend them. If you go with a system that flows too freely you will loose low end power. Don't be fooled into thinking that your V6 will sound anything like a V8. The 3VZE actually sounds kind of ricey when free flowed.

This is my system: Downey's ceramic coated headers, 2.5 inch crossover, 2.5 inch high flow cat with built in resonator, 2.25 inch muffler and tailpipe with an inline resonator. It sounds good and performs very well. I previously tried it with a 2.5 inch muffler and tailpipe without the resonator and it sounded like crap. I also lost a lot of low end power.

Last edited by ChickenLover; 09-28-2004 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:15 PM

Yah, the ricey sound is NOT what i'm going for. I'll look into the downey system setup that you said.

What do you think about flowmasters?

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
Well if you want dual exhuast you'll have to split it after the cat. You can not legally put 2 cats on a truck that came from the factory with only one in most if not all states. Downey has a very nice set of ceramic coated headers. I highly recommend them. If you go with a system that flows too freely you will loose low end power. Don't be fooled into thinking that your V6 will sound anything like a V8. The 3VZE actually sounds kind of ricey when free flowed.

This is my system: Downey's ceramic coated headers, 2.5 inch crossover, 2.5 inch high flow cat with built in resonator, 2.25 inch muffler and tailpipe with an inline resonator. It sounds good and performs very well. I previously tried it with a 2.5 inch muffler and tailpipe without the resonator and it sounded like crap. I also lost a lot of low end power.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChickenLover

Did you notice any fuel mileage increases with that exhaust setup?
Old 09-29-2004, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Borla stainless cat back

Hi, Ive had my Borla stainless cat back for well over 7 years and have not had one complaint yet! It has a deep mellow tone and when you crank the rpms up into the mid range it really sounds good, and with my K&N system I gained a little lost HP. Im going to install a set of headers some day and the Borla should work out great with them as well. Just a thought. I think I paid $350 for the entire cat back with a million mile warranty! Not bad and it has a nice polished stainless tip.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:48 AM

I was running a Flowmaster for a while, it was pretty loud, but I liked it. I now run a flowmaster and a Supertrapp Disc only muffler on the end so i can tune the backpressure/sound and I love it.
My "Dream" exhaust set up would be some nice headers, stainless pipe to whatever cat and a Supertrapp muffler placed behind the rear axle. Possibly "True" dual's (only joined with an H-pipe) with supertrapps, but I think duals would be a waste on the 3.0

Last edited by OicnaiC; 09-29-2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:44 PM

[QUOTE] The 3VZE actually sounds kind of ricey when free flowed.[/QUOTE

my 884runner with the 3.0 has no exhaust. the pipe broke infront of the cat, ive ran it a few time like that , just been too lazy to fix it, and youd be supprised how good it sounds. its not nearly as loud as you would think, maybe i did loose a little low end, but i can barely tell. but then again, i think i am jsut gonna put a free flow cat on and call it done, casue VA doesnt require mufflers. plus i like the sound of my little V6.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:31 PM

The stock manifolds and cross over are VERY restrictive. Try running it that way with headers and you'll agree it sounds bad.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Brett636
Did you notice any fuel mileage increases with that exhaust setup?
I didn't notice any change in gas mileage. I have never heard a flowmaster on a 3VZE so I can't help you there.