Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help, Click then start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, Click then start when cold

Hey everyone this is my first post and I am already looking for help. I have a 1999 4Runner Limited, Auto, 6cyl, 4WD with about 105,000 miles. The past two days after the Runner has sat for several hours the first turn of the key gets me one click sound. I turn the key to the off position and then try again and she starts right up. With my very limited knowledge I was thinking either starter or selonoid. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:55 PM
eam

Howdy,

If I were in your position, I'd first check to see if all cable connections were clean and tight.

If a solid 12 volts is getting to your starter, and you're still having a problem, you may be able to get away with replacing the copper contacts inside the starter.

This is what I did for my 89 22REC hilux 4x4, about two years before I sold it. The starter in your later truck may be different, so confirm with a toyota parts dept that the contacts are similar.

Essentially, with the solonoid engaged, there is a copper ring that is thrust against two copper contacts which supplies power to the actual starter motor.

If you do a search, you may be able to find a nice write-up on the repair, but I remember it being really easy and straight foreward, taking a short afternoon to complete.

The contacts are readily available through your local toyota dealer, and they're really cheap... six bucks apiece, I think.

I only replaced one contact and simply cleaned/sanded the other contact and the ring.

If this really is the problem with your truck, you'll eventially have to "click" it two-three-or even four times to get power to the starter motor. At least, I let mine go that far before I fixed it.

Once you have the starter out of the truck and onto the bench, it's an easy job.

Good luck with the project,

Eric M.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:53 AM

Thanks EAM, I will give that i try.

Originally Posted by eam
Howdy,

If I were in your position, I'd first check to see if all cable connections were clean and tight.

If a solid 12 volts is getting to your starter, and you're still having a problem, you may be able to get away with replacing the copper contacts inside the starter.

This is what I did for my 89 22REC hilux 4x4, about two years before I sold it. The starter in your later truck may be different, so confirm with a toyota parts dept that the contacts are similar.

Essentially, with the solonoid engaged, there is a copper ring that is thrust against two copper contacts which supplies power to the actual starter motor.

If you do a search, you may be able to find a nice write-up on the repair, but I remember it being really easy and straight foreward, taking a short afternoon to complete.

The contacts are readily available through your local toyota dealer, and they're really cheap... six bucks apiece, I think.

I only replaced one contact and simply cleaned/sanded the other contact and the ring.

If this really is the problem with your truck, you'll eventially have to "click" it two-three-or even four times to get power to the starter motor. At least, I let mine go that far before I fixed it.

Once you have the starter out of the truck and onto the bench, it's an easy job.

Good luck with the project,

Eric M.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is usually a sign of starter contacts going bad.
They do sell a kit at the dealer to replace them for about $20
Old 12-09-2004, 05:39 AM

Yup, I also think it's the starter contacts goin' bad. Happens to me about once a year from all the muck I take it through. Toyota offers 3 different contacts. You starter could use the same 2 or 2 different ones. What ones you'll need will have to be determined by taking the stock ones out and matchin' em up at the Stealer. They are only a couple dollarz each. As mentioned above, once you get the starter out, it's an easy fix. The hardest part is getting the starter in and out.

Best of luck!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I had to rebuild my starter because of the contacts. The hardest part is getting the stupid thing out (hint: if you have access to a post lift it makes the job easier). I did mine at my dealership, a good pry bar, a long 3/8" extention, and a lot of cussing will get it out.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
They do sell a kit at the dealer to replace them for about $20
my Toyota dealer said they do not offer this, and never heard of it
Old 12-09-2004, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by payyourtoll
my Toyota dealer said they do not offer this, and never heard of it
I'm not aware of a "kit". Just the contacts and they are sold seperatley. At least, that's been my experience.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have full details on troubleshooting and repairing starter problems as well as on-line ordering of the starter solenoid contacts, if needed, as well on my web page:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
Old 12-09-2004, 10:24 AM

Thank you for all the replies! This site is a great resource.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I have full details on troubleshooting and repairing starter problems as well as on-line ordering of the starter solenoid contacts, if needed, as well on my web page:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
So, there's 4 different contacts, not 3 eh? Learnt me sumdin'.