Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Blown 22R-E need help/sugestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown 22R-E need help/sugestions

well its dead....

About 150,000 miles my truck started to knock... toyota said yep you need a short block, $1,500 + head reworked + labor.... I said ill just drive till quits... Friday July 4th...3:05pm.... knocking getting louder...louder then she starts slowing down... slower... slower.... slower..... and then it dies..... Now it will not restart

So have a few questions:

1) Do you recomend rebuilding the 22R-E.

2) If i was to rebuild it, is there any performance part for it? and do you recomend it.

3) how much does a rebuild kit for a 22R-3 cost... I can probably get the motor pulled, taken appart and the new "stuff" installed and put back in for free. The only "money" ill be out is the new parts and having the block machined.

4) Little off topice, but will the toyota trans, t-case and axles hold up to a v-8? Im guessing not, but thought i would ask.

5) Have any of you seen a Zjzgte (93-98 twin turbo supra) motor in 94 truck? also got any idea if that will fit.

If you have any sugestion and or comits please feel free to post.

thanks
Shawn
Old 07-07-2003, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

AllcammedUp seems to be well on his way to finishing a 22RE. I would drop him a PM. Check out this thread.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:49 AM

Thats horrible something like that happened to my
old 88 4runner. The good news is that it still runs
the bad news is that its a bent rod.

I would suggest getting it rebuilt, I want to do that to mine, but around here a rebuild would run me like $4000

most likely it would be best to get a running engine from a junkyard, or most likely get a bigger engine, a V6 would be good. I personally think that if you go with a V8 it would be a lot of rouble and a lot of strain on your drive train. for a V8 you need to;

-fabricate the mounts
-probably get a body lift
-get stiffer front end suspension
-cut back the firewall
-probably get the Tranny, T-case, and axles that can handle the extra power

Of course if you have the time and money to do it, then by all means go ahead and take lots of pics. If you could get the 5vz engine, that would be good and not as difficult or problematic as a v8, also the chevy 4.3 vortec is pretty popular

check this out for a 3.4 swap into a 1st gen runner

check this out for a 4.3 swap into an 85 toy

hope this helps
Old 07-07-2003, 01:11 PM

I just rebuilt my 22RE last month. I say rebuilt, I mainly just redid the bottom half, which sounds like all you need to do to get yourself back running.

When I did mine I went the cheap way out which i'll probably regret later. I bought a remanufactured crank and went to a junkyard here close and got a set of matching pistons and rods (had them checked of course). All new bearings, new rings, gaskets, oil pump, water pump, clutch assembly, timing chain assembly, and clutch fan...it ran me about $750.00. I have a buddy that got me the machine shop time free and I did all the labor myself.

My motor runs great, I learned alot, and I had a blast doing it. Any way I can help just lemme know.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:22 PM

Well if you wanna help...

hey wanna rebuild an 88 22re?

Old 07-07-2003, 02:36 PM

Rebuilding is probably the best/cheapest way to go. Check out www.engnbldr.com for rebuilt kits. The guy that runs it knows his way around the 22RE. You might be able to get away with just a short block rebuild but at least check the head for cracks/warpage before you put it back on. If you're losing any oil that might be valve seal related it wouldn't hurt to give it some TLC. While you have the head off you can toss in a performance cam too! Joy! And if you deck the block make sure to use a shim to compensate for the lost thickness or your timing will be off. Some people get lazy and skip this step! Going V8 is gonna require upgrading almost the entire drivetrain. Same with a 2JZ Supra swap. I thought I saw one on the net once but the guy reported trashing 1st & 2nd gears within a month or two. There's a couple of 7MGTE (or is it 5MGTE?) swaps out there (older Supra engines) that you could probably find through Google. Enjoy!
Old 07-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Dan

I´ve got a 22re sitting in my garage that runs perfect that I´d let you have for a hell of a lot less than the cost of a rebuild.
I´m in VT, the engine came from a 89 runner that rotted after a few years of salt. I have no idea the millage but it started fine and ran solid up until the day we pulled it. everything is still there, manifold, alternator, waterpump, oil pan, it´s got a clutch with less than 10k that can go with it too, as longs as you´re in there
Old 07-07-2003, 08:05 PM

Hey dan

at the moment I cant guarantee anything right now cause i gotta shell out a goodly amount to buy the rear diff third member for my 94 runner

but I would like to know how much you want for ur 22re, I live in CO. man I wish my 88 runner still ran like the old days, I like it more than my 94 even though it doesnt have as many extras. For some reason I love the truckyness of it, and the removeable hard top is great. Its too bad it died cause I had just put in a new clutch and timing chain....

shigata ga nai

what can you do
Old 07-07-2003, 11:55 PM

youcould look here.... www.crate-engines.com

they have lotsa decent prices
Old 07-08-2003, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

22re rebuild

I just did a rebuild on my 22re (Top end) and i would recomend going that way. as per adding a little more power I would reccomend a better cam. it is unbelievable the difference a cam can make! I went with a higher torque cam in mine and it can get my tire turning quicker than ever and doesn't effect the idle at all!
I got my cam from WWW.blazespeedshop.com and fresh valves from http://www.engnbldr.com/ I got a gasket set from a ebay seller partsdinosaur --> http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=4057846&ssPageName=L2
along with the steel guide timing kit and including the header i am expecting from Summit racing it has cost me right at $350 for everything.
do the rebuild yourself you will gain soo much knowledge and love your truck even more!
David