Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Putting '89 22RE 4WD PU back together - what perf (and other) mods should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting '89 22RE 4WD PU back together - what perf (and other) mods should I do?

Hey gang,

I'm 50% (just got the head pulled off this evening) through my head gasket swap, and now that I'm in gasket-scrape and re-assemble mode, I'd like to get some discussion going on what are the 'popular' mods to do to the 89 (or similar) trucks. Here's what I'm doing during the assembly:

1. DOA racing steel-backed timing chain guides

2. new chain, tensioner, cam gear, oil pump gear, etc. (basically a new timing kit)

3. 'Street RV' cylinder head from this guy: http://www.engbldr.com.

It's a brand new casting w/ oversized valves, bowl work done to the chamber, etc. The price was right, and it is a better-than-stock head. It has hopped-up springs, new seals, etc., etc. Read about them here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=2416436721

4. RV camshaft (270* duration, 0.430" lift) to go along with the head

5. New timing cover (don't really need it , but want to be safe, nonetheless

6. New top-end gasket kit and OEM head gasket

7. New head bolts

8. New water pump and oil pump, plugs, etc.

9. Flex-Lite electric fan and new radiator

Now, all of this stuff is engine/performance related. I've already got a ported TB and intake runners from LC Engineering and a Downey header and 2 1/2" exhaust.

However, what other types of mods are there to do to this generation of truck? I'm wanting to keep the stock sized tires.

I've heard people talk about the optimum timing advance to set the motor at for best power... what does everyone recommend?

How about adjusting the valves? Are the toyota specs too tight or too loose? If so, what should I adjust the intake/exhaust valves to for the most power/longest life/etc.?

I'm seriously thinking about a new set of shocks and a short-throw shifter to take the place of my now-sloppy stock 5-speed shifter. Can anyone recommend a good set of shocks (I was thinking Bilsteins) and a short-throw shifter?

I guess I'm wanting a list of 'board favorite' mods that are proven to be good mods and that people like for this generation of trucks.

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited by AllCammedUp; 07-06-2003 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:52 PM

Wow, don't know how much more you can do. One thing, on the sloppy shifter, there is a thread about replacing the bushing at the base of the shifter. Try searching this forum for "sloppy shifter" or "shifter slop," something like that, and you can find the part numbers and install for it. That'll take care of the shifter.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Contributing Member

The part numbers can be found here:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/shifter/index.html
I wish I had the recipts I just bought all this stuff from oxmoor toyota I think it all ran me about 20-30$. Its pretty expensive try jay marks toyota (I think the url is http://www.toyotaworld.com ) there is a link to their site in the vendors section. I've ordered a couple of things from them over the phone and they have been pretty good on the prices but you pay for shipping. I didn't put them in my dad did when he took my truck the the machine shop so since he didn't tell me anything went wrong with using these parts I'm assuming they fit. I say this because oxmoor toyota will tell you that these parts don't come up on the list for your truck. So you'll have to have the part numbers.

Lemme know when you get it done I would love to see how it runs. Alot of the stuff your doing I'm planning on doing I'm just running bigger tires and need to regear to 4.56 or 4.88s

Last edited by Krash; 07-07-2003 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by Plays_with_Toys
Wow, don't know how much more you can do. One thing, on the sloppy shifter, there is a thread about replacing the bushing at the base of the shifter. Try searching this forum for "sloppy shifter" or "shifter slop," something like that, and you can find the part numbers and install for it. That'll take care of the shifter.
Yeah, I figured that if I was going to do all this work, I might as well put some go-fast stuff back on it! Thanks for the info on the shifter issue.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by Krash
The part numbers can be found here:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/shifter/index.html
I wish I had the recipts I just bought all this stuff from oxmoor toyota I think it all ran me about 20-30$. Its pretty expensive try jay marks toyota (I think the url is http://www.toyotaworld.com ) there is a link to their site in the vendors section. I've ordered a couple of things from them over the phone and they have been pretty good on the prices but you pay for shipping. I didn't put them in my dad did when he took my truck the the machine shop so since he didn't tell me anything went wrong with using these parts I'm assuming they fit. I say this because oxmoor toyota will tell you that these parts don't come up on the list for your truck. So you'll have to have the part numbers.
Killer, Josh - Thanks a bunch! That's awesome info, and I'll definitely use that to fix my shifter issue! SWEET.

Lemme know when you get it done I would love to see how it runs. Alot of the stuff your doing I'm planning on doing I'm just running bigger tires and need to regear to 4.56 or 4.88s
Will do, man. I'll shoot you an e-mail over the next week, and we'll hook up. I'll need to put some miles on the truck to break it back in anyways, so I'll slide by and show you the end result! Later!