Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ARB locker schematic

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ARB locker schematic

OK, I am ready to get my ARB locker (front, IFS) hooked up. My locker did not come with any "instructions" and I am using it with a QuickAir II compressor. I bought a Toyota OEM "RR DIFF LOCK" switch, which I intend to use as my front locker switch. It will get mounted next to my OEM rear locker switch, and I will change the text for the front locker.

Anyway, here is my schematic after some revisions and help/feedback from friends - I just want to post it so if any of you air locker/elec. gadget gurus see anything I should change, improve, etc. One thing I need to do, is verify the rating of the circuit for the ADD indicator. I want to tap into this for the power to my locker switch - so that it will only operate when the ADD is engaged. Does anyone have any idea what the ARB solenoid is rated at for current consumption?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails ARB locker schematic-locker-schematic1.gif  
Old 03-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Dang, no comments? I just talked to WATRD on the phone - he definitely recommends a pressure regulator set at 85 p.s.i. to ensure that the air seals are happy and I don't puke gear oil. I had one in the schematic to begin with, but took it out thinking the ARB would be okay at 85-105 psi (pressure switch). So - the regulator is back in! It will go on the schematic between the press. switch and the locker.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Shoot, I wish I had read that before I shipped the solenoid off, I think it has the milliamp rating on it, but I can't recall what it said

With the addition of the regulator, I think you have a winning combination
Old 03-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BajaTaco
Dang, no comments?
I'm suffering my own personal turmoil whilst I battle my jealousy of the two rigs represented in this thread. Please stop rubbing salt in my wounds.

No, seriously. You guys do awesome work on your rigs. I'm nowhere near anything like that so I couldn't even begin to comment. All I got to say is keep posting pics when you guys add on more and more

EDIT:
I'm definitely saving pics and bookmarking pages in preparation though!

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 03-09-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

But man! I hate it when Baja "one ups" me like that... Now I have to plot and scheme for what I am going to do next

Chris is good people. When I rode with him in Arizona a couple of years ago, I was in awe of how capable his rig was. It's like a self contained apartment that goes anywhere All he needed was an internet connection...

Aha! That's it! I have 99% of the parts for the wireless network in the truck, so I should just complete it Muhahhahahhahhahhahahhahahahhahha
Old 03-10-2004, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Tacoma d00d - you are already ahead in the game, as you own a TACOMA!

On-board computer with 'net access - Oh man... I would love to have that! Actually, some friends and I have been discussing on-board computers - and combining them with VHF radios and GPS. What we are talking about doing, is essentially using the APRS system, to do something like this:

GPS unit sends position info to your laptop/on-board computer > Computer with map software sends position info to radio > Radio sends position info to repeater tower > Repeater tower sends position info to other radios. The idea is, you will be able to see the current location of all of your buddies when you are spread out in the boonies on an exploration/4wd trip. This really comes in handy if you are trying to re-group, or if someone decides to stay behind or go off in another direction for whatever reason. Currently we use the trip meter, and landmark info to kind of keep tabs on where everyone is (because with the VHF radios we can get really spread out - miles apart).

Another aspect of the OB computer, would be to add OBD reader info. to a software program that will display any combination of diagnostic and status information on your screen - including "virtual gauges" to show various things about your engine/trans.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BajaTaco
Tacoma d00d - you are already ahead in the game, as you own a TACOMA!
I don't know about that.............

I'm looking for a 92-95 Mini Pickup. Easy all Toyota SAS, RF1A Transfer case stock, Correct IFS steering box stock, OBD I diagnostics, Thicker frame not designed to absorb impact.

Baja's truck is really something and so is Rob's but it's old junk for me BABY!

The ultimate would be to pick up a 92-95 Extra cab, dump the 3.Slow and swap in a 22RE, R151F transmission, Marlin Ultimate RF1A Transfer cases all sitting on a 79-85 short bed frame. Flat bed out back of course. It's happen, sooner than you think.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

I'm starting my locker install as well. Except I have the extremeair compressor. Everyone suggested to me to get an air manifold. Then you can just plug the compressor, the locker solonoids, pressure gauge, and the hose to air up your tires into one piece. (www.northerntool.com)

Also you can order the dash board switch from ARB ($12) for the compressor instead of using the "rr diff lock switch". I'm assuming that the front locker already came with a switch.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Great suggestions. Regarding the switch, I have WATRD's old locker, so it did not come with a switch. I could have ordered the ARB switch, but I really liked the idea of making it look totally factory. So people will say "When did Tacomas ever have a front locker option??!!" Seriously though, I just thought it would be a nice touch.

Steve, nothing wrong with that. Sounds cool! It's basically whatever you think will work for you. I just happen to hold the Taco in very high regard for it's capabilities for the kind of stuff I do - and even it's capabilities as an SAS'd version for rock crawling stuff. Older Toys are very cool too of course!

Last edited by BajaTaco; 03-10-2004 at 12:08 PM.