Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

32" BFG's are fitted!! (big pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 01:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
32" BFG's are fitted!! (big pictures)

Hey Guys I got my 32" BFG AT's fitted on Friday and as it was such a nice day here yesterday (Sat) I got the cleaning gear out and gave my truck some TLC. Heres the pictures of my new tires

Geez sorry about the picture size for you dial up guys :eek: the rest are here

I really love the look of these monsters but I was worried about going to a bigger tire that the ride quality would suffer. But it seems to drive real smooth. I now hear a nice "hum" as I drive down the street, its like music to my ears

I did have some rubbing issues at the front when you turn the steering wheel to the right but thankfully it was nothing a little cranking of the torsion bars and an angle grinder couldnt fix

My T bars are now set to just over 14" rim to fender. I didnt want to crank them anymore as Ive still got ADD and have heard thats about as high as you can go. So friday night I got the angle grinder out and cut some plastic away inside the wheel arch. Sounds like a horror story but once I was finished you can hardly see where Ive cut. Now I only have the smallest amount of rubbing when turning hard right and can live with it.

I couldnt believe how much nicer my truck looks with these tires and even my wife said it looks better (and thats praise indeed) I would recommend these tires to anyone

Cheers

Luke

PS thats my nephew Jake in the pictures not me
Old 07-14-2002, 01:53 AM

Awesome, they look great on your truck. I bought those just recently too. I really like the aggressive treads and shoulders. They are quite durable too and great in all kinds of weather and surfaces, except mud.

So far, I love my BFG's too. They tend to be a little loud when turning but certainly not over-bearing. The only thing bad I'd have to say about them is that they hold a lot of small rocks in them because of the rather large gaps in the treads. They make clicking sounds when you drive on pavement and it kind of annoys me. If they are not doing that then they are spitting them out underneath the Runner when you're driving at speed.

Not a horrible thing, but to someone as anal retentive as me, I keep thinking somethings falling apart or out of place when I hear the rocks clicking or spitting.

But if that's the only bad thing I have to say so far, they must be great.

Congrats on your purchase, and again, they look awesome!
Old 07-14-2002, 06:15 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi Luke, those look good.
I know what you mean about the hum.

Between the hum of my tires and the tunes from the exhaust, it sounds pretty good.

Did you get any rubbing too with the rear of your tire against the front mud flap?
One tire shop told me if I went to a 32" it would probably rub there.
Old 07-14-2002, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Corey they do rub a little. The 1st picture you can see where I cut some of the plastic fender and the 2nd pic you can see where it just slightly rubs at full lock. But really its nothing to worry about now Ive done the trimming and boy its DEFINATELY worth it for extra size of tires

Hey Hboss thanks for the compliments and I know what you mean about the stones getting into the tread, but I dont really mind that much.....

Cheers

Luke
Old 07-14-2002, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Philly
Luke looks great. You have yourself one very nice rig there, very nice. Mine Runner is black but I really like the white and the decals are very nice. Not bad for a guy across the pond LOL Just kidding
LOL thanks Philly! I know what you mean about across the pond, everythings so damm expensive here and trying to get stuff from the US costs a fortune. But hey Im doing my best One good thing though is that because 4 Runners are as rare as rocking horse ˟˟˟˟˟ here, when I drive down the street I get alot of looks from people in other cars who Im sure are thinking "damm what the hell is that?"

Cheers

Luke
Old 07-14-2002, 08:14 AM

Luke, that does look real nice on your rig! I like the looks of those. I want to get them for my next tires. I have Long Trail Radials, but they don't seem "tough" enough, well...they don't look "tough" enough. I really like the looks though! Nice! :fireman:
Old 07-14-2002, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

Luke your tyres look awesome man. Unbelievable what new tires can do the appearance of a truck! Cant wait to see it!
Old 07-14-2002, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Philly
Luke I didn't realize 4Runners were so scarce for your area. If you ever need us to get you anything or send you something lets us know and we'll do our very best to help you out. I've sent my bud Brian (Butnut) some stuff over in Hawaii but I realize that is still in the US.

Good analogy with the rocking horse crap LOL that was good, never heard that one, can I use it?

Take care man.

Never heard of rocking horse crap eh? thats been about here in the UK for a while so go ahead and use it Thanks for the offer of stuff, its always hard trying to get kit here but I seem to do ok. Only thing I cant get is those cool Toyota fog light switches that you guy use and some asain manual hubs, cos toyota trucks over here were still solid front axle until recently and I dont think they will fit my IFS truck will they?

Anyone got a set of used asain's that are willing to ship across the pond??

Cheers

Luke
Old 07-14-2002, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

VERY nice Luke.
I like the look. That is the size tire i would like to go to on my '88
So do you feel "taller" now
Good job.
Old 07-14-2002, 02:07 PM

Nice gums Luke. I thoufgt damn, the camera took a few years off ya... Rock on nephew. You're doing stuff to your truck almost as fast as Corey. Hey Ryan, I have the Long Trails too. Yeah, it's not a tough looking tire, but it has the street truck look I like. I may go Michi's next. Hey Phil, thanks again bro. If I have time today, I'll post some pics of the gauge. Hey Luke, my chrome eyes :alien: tell me that you have no chrome door pulls and mirrors...another UK thing eh? I would be upset...me likey chrome :confused:
I know over the pond 'chips' are french fries...we have cow chips here Luke...but you would'nt wanna eat 'em.
butnut
Old 07-14-2002, 02:20 PM
Banned

Not only do they look awesome, they are awesome. The sidewalls are what sold me on them. They resist the sharpest rocks I have been able to find. As I get into progressivly harder trails, the tires are staying near the bottom of my list of things to worry about. Mine now have 41,000 miles and 37 months on them, yet have plenty of tread left to last till about May by my estimation.

Your Runner is really looking good, and appearantly getting better all the time!! Cute kid to.
Old 07-14-2002, 05:57 PM

Sweet ride AND those tires look really good on there!
Old 07-15-2002, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Guys I just wanted to say thanks for the compliments on the tires! I really appreciate it, I was not too sure abour paying the extra and going with the BFG's at first because they were a fair bit more than the Falkens I was looking at, but I sure am glad I did! money well spent thats what I say.

Hey Brian, thats right theres no chrome on my rig at all. Toyota UK didnt think people would like that here but after seeing Joey's US runner with chrome bumpers and handles and all, I really like the chrome look, but hey there you go.

Todd I would certainly go with these tires again Ive only been running them a few days but you can really feel the difference in quality. My truck also seems to corner better too! Any funny you should mention "taller" I know my trucks only about 1/2 inch taller with these tires but it really does seem to stand taller. Lots of people have commented on that

Matt you are right about the sidewalls, thats what sold me too! When the tire dealer brought them out of the shop ready to be fitted, at first glance I thought they were mud terrains

Well thanks again for all your comments

Cheers

Luke

PS Joey we should hook up again soon so you can see these tires and I REALLY wanna hear that Borla!
Old 07-15-2002, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Luke, tires look great and I like the grill guard too. What brand is it?
Old 07-15-2002, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Paul H.
Luke, tires look great and I like the grill guard too. What brand is it?
Yeah, I saw that and liked it too! It is cool looking! Do tell! :fireman:
Old 07-16-2002, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Ahhh if I had a dollar every time someone asked me that I'd be rich by now!

Sorry guys I dont know where it came from as it was on my truck when I purchased it, but I believe it was a Toyota factory option from new as Ive seen a couple of others in the past with the exact same gaurd and you dont see it anywhere for sale in the UK 4x4 magazines

Luke