Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Vacuum line??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum line??

I just purchased a 93 4runner 3vze 4x4 and I noticed there is a line coming off the throttle body that is crimped off. It looks like a possible vacuum line, but I don't know for sure. Pleas look at the pictures and let me know what is supposed to be hooked onto it and where it goes. I also have the storied rough idle, I wonder if that might have something to do with it.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Vacuum line??-100_1033-2.jpg   Vacuum line??-100_1034-2.jpg  

Last edited by bugsy93; 04-16-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just went and looked at mine, also a 93 3vze, but I don't even have that fitting, just what looks like a hole in that spot. There is no vacuum leak there though, so sorry can't help much. The vacuum diagram doesn't show anything there either.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:41 PM

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I am stumped on why it is there and a little nervous about fooling with it because it is running fine with it there except a little of a rough idle. So? Maybe I should just leave it alone for now, unless anyone can give me some ideas on it. But once again thanks for looking.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:10 PM

judging from your picture, my 3.4 has two "90 degree stems" that go into the throddle body on top, that look just like that. I've always wondered what those are for.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

I have the same thing and mine is capped off too. I have seen several pictures of 3.0 engines on this forum and noticed that that there is nothing going to it on those either.

How rough are you idling? I just had a horrible idle probelm and it was a combination of vacuum leaks, a torn throttle body gasket, EGR Valve stuck open and a bad cold start injector sensor. My cold start injector was constantly firing and it was freaking out my ECU. try disconnecting it and see what happens with your idle. Obviously I don't kno what your problem is because I don't have the details, but I looked for advice on this topic and got limited responses
Old 04-17-2005, 08:41 AM

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being a cylinder misfire) I would say it is a 6. I had not thought of the cold start injector sensor. Where is it located? If I can find it I will give it a shot and tell you the results. I cleaned out the throttle body without taking it off because I didn't have a new gasket, but I am going to remove it next weekend and clean it and replace the gasket. I also messed around with the idle screw and got a little improvement but not much. It also is running rich and I checked the o2 sensor but it seems to be fine, so I think I will replace plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc... and see where that leaves me since it needs to be done anyways. Anyways thanks for the ideas and anymore would be much appreciated.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bugsy93
On a scale of 1-10 (10 being a cylinder misfire) I would say it is a 6. I had not thought of the cold start injector sensor. Where is it located? If I can find it I will give it a shot and tell you the results. I cleaned out the throttle body without taking it off because I didn't have a new gasket, but I am going to remove it next weekend and clean it and replace the gasket. I also messed around with the idle screw and got a little improvement but not much. It also is running rich and I checked the o2 sensor but it seems to be fine, so I think I will replace plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc... and see where that leaves me since it needs to be done anyways. Anyways thanks for the ideas and anymore would be much appreciated.
The cold start injector is directly behind the intake manifold. approximately dead center and just below a bunch of water hoses. it's has a black connector that plugs into it pointing straight down. If you can't find it, I may be able to take a digital pic. expect to bleed a little to get to it unless you have some really long needle nosed pliers. This thing when connected causes my truck to ramp up my idle approximately 700-800 rpms when it's cold. This is the sensor that tells the cold start injector to fire. My was freaknig out so it would come on and go off constantly so my idle was fluctuating horribly that even when I adjusted my idle setscrew on the front of the Throttle Body, I couldn't get my idle below 1100. Pretty crazy huh? Give it a shot and let me know if you need a pic.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by bugsy93
I cleaned out the throttle body without taking it off because I didn't have a new gasket, but I am going to remove it next weekend and clean it and replace the gasket. I also messed around with the idle screw and got a little improvement but not much. It also is running rich and I checked the o2 sensor but it seems to be fine, so I think I will replace plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc... and see where that leaves me since it needs to be done anyways.
If you're gonna have the throttle body off anyway, you should also check the TPS adjustment. It only takes a few minutes with a multimeter and feeler gages.