Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

VIDEO of me on Rocker Knocker in Moab

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool VIDEO of me on Rocker Knocker in Moab

This is video of my multiple attempts to get up Rocker Knocker in Pritchett Canyon in Moab. As you can see, I had a WHOLE lot of fun during the process of breaking my front right axle there. I have to say that I normally prefer rock crawling without any tire spin, but I wasn't able to get up it that way. So this shows my exciting attempts with momentum. I was locked front/rear at the time. MT/R's were at about 13 psi. The actual breakage occurs near the end at about 1:02 in the video. Any other bangs, clangs, crunches, whatever, are just skidplates, suspension, and normal noises. The newly revised rock slider mounts worked well. We then winched me up it, I beached myself on a rock with that tire in the air, and I swapped the axle in about an hour so I continued on the trail.

http://www.trailseeker.com/4x4/moabz.../marmot-rk.wmv (2.3 MB)

Thanks to my friends Corbin & Deanna for taking the video and for hosting the video on their website.

Their other misc pics and a few videos of Moab are at:
http://www.trailseeker.com/4x4/MoabZuVI/

I have a trip report thread over here:
http://www.4x4wire.com/ubb/ultimateb...;f=13;t=017168
Old 05-28-2003, 12:14 AM
Banned

I'm not sure what to say other than... nice first post.

I think you are close to having the most capable IFS street legal 4x4 in the world. Its great to have you aboard.

Maybe that would have been easier if your Runner weighed 800 pounds less. I love the way you describe slider and skidplate to rock noises as "normal".

What exactly broke?
Old 05-28-2003, 12:40 AM
Banned

Nevermind, I read the Wire report.

Its amazing that you even tried Rocker Knocker.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by jx94148
I think you are close to having the most capable IFS street legal 4x4 in the world. Its great to have you aboard.
Thanks. But in my eyes, Fear is still ahead of me as far as long travel IFS and also modified rear suspension - both of which flex better than mine now. And I think he may have just changed to selectable locker(s?). I'm not planning on major mods to the suspension anytime soon.

I think of it as I'm working toward having one of the most off-road capable IFS vehicles that's also a daily driver.
Jeff
Old 05-28-2003, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

I wonder what 252 to 1 would do? Sit there and spin extremely slowly or walk right up. Doesn't your buddy have dual cases? How did he do?

Any way you cut it, I would have thrown a rock or two in there.

Old 05-28-2003, 08:05 PM

227:1 was nice to experiment with on his SAS'ed exo'ed Amigo, but he just slid around and couldn't get up. Two years ago he had 37" SSR's and this time he has 37" MT/R's - same story both times. He tried multiple different gears, different lines, different amount of momentum, etc on that one obstacle for 15-20 minutes on each trip. Still didn't work. You have to have at least some momentum to get up it. Both times he ended up struggling up the "bypass" which is just as gnarly, but a little more friendly for short wheelbases.

I greatly prefer to try an obstacle without any rock stacking first. Besides, this time there weren't any worthwhile rocks available nearby.

I was very happy to attempt a bunch of different lines first. I was still only in my first 5 minutes of attempts. It also played into it that I DID have a spare axle and wasn't afraid to use it. Plus, I consider it a bonus that I learned more about how much my axles can take before I break something, also it's nice to learn where it'll likely break, plus I now have the experience of changing an axle on the trail, and I even have a cool paperweight on my desk. We got the rest of the group up during the time I was changing my axle anyway, so no biggie.

Last edited by Jeff the marmot; 05-28-2003 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:47 AM
Banned

You all weigh too much. I bet i could get my motorcycle up that.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice vid, also some awesome pics on the site you posted

I too like how you refer to the noises from the rocks on the skid plates as normal
Old 05-30-2003, 07:58 PM

Jeff,
You were really givin' it hell! I admit at first I was really surprised to see you drive like that. For a moment there you looked like the YaHoo gunning it up the middle of the rock garden at spring Creek last summer. A sure way to break and stress something. But, I suppose you were prepared. Like you said you gained knowledge; and handled the repair very nicely.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

I think he takes out his "Developer" frustration on the trail. Writing code all day and beating the 4Runner on the weekend. I would have winched up. 1st time for everything, even me useing that darn winch.

I go 4Wheeling to get away and see the scenery. Not to do the obsticals. But if I have to do an obstical to get to a Ghost Town, you bet I will. Nice and slow with a rock or two thrown in.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:58 PM

Yea, I would have been winching also. But ya got to love watching the Marmot push the envelope.

I'm not sure if Jeff was taking the easiest lines on Pritchet. But, if he was on those obstacles. Then I would have to say that trail is beyond the capabilities of our 3G Runners. Unless you want to winch the trail.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by JadeRunner
I'm not sure if Jeff was taking the easiest lines on Pritchet. But, if he was on those obstacles. Then I would have to say that trail is beyond the capabilities of our 3G Runners. Unless you want to winch the trail.
In general, I took all of the easiest and "conservative" lines through Pritchett to ensure that I'd survive it. There were only about 2 places where I took a harder optional line. One was the "gulley" that's about 1/3 of the way into the trail. Pic 1 Pic 2 I was really surprised - that section was easier than I expected with front/rear lockers. I just walked through that, which I was VERY happy about. But the trail definitely won in the really hard sections.

It's probably only rated a 4.5 if you go to Rocker Knocker and just turn around. But it's a 5 for a few reasons if you continue beyond that.

After having completed that trail, yeah, I'd have to say that Pritchett Canyon is beyond the capabilities of the 3rd gen 4Runner. I had to winch 3 times. And I was definitely the least capable vehicle in our group. I'm just lucky I was wheeling with a bunch of friends that were willing to drag me though it when I needed help. I enjoy trying different lines and seeing if they work, but some of the tough stuff was to the point of it not being fun anymore.

Trails like Iron Chest Mine(9/10), Holy Cross City(8/10), Behind the Rocks(4+/5), Golden Spike(4+/5), the Rubicon(4+?/5), Lower Heldorado(4+/5), etc., are challenging, but certainly do-able and within the capabilities of a modified 4Runner. I think those are fun to drive. It's probably similar to Upper Martinez in AZ, from what I've heard of it.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:10 AM

[Quote]Trails like Iron Chest Mine(9/10), Holy Cross City(8/10), Behind the Rocks(4+/5), Golden Spike(4+/5), the Rubicon(4+?/5), Lower Heldorado(4+/5), etc., are challenging, but certainly do-able and within the capabilities of a modified 4Runner. I think those are fun to drive. [Quote]

Right on! That's an impressive list. I can't say I can do those comfortably yet. A front locker and gears would have a lot to do with ability to do those trails.

Pic 2 I was really surprised - that section was easier than I expected with front/rear lockers.
That's an impressive obstacle to ease through. Good job.

And would have to say most of these trails are harder than Upper Martinez. But, damm I want to run Martinez again.

Scott

Last edited by JadeRunner; 06-01-2003 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Martinez Canyon and Upper Woodpecker. You want harder. No problem. Way way way harder stuff out there.

Jack Handle where I filled my shorts 4/5 & Axle Alley & Hiway 2 Hell. 4.5+/5

Table Mesa has Lower Teminator 4.5+/5 that I would not even remotley even try without the crawler or a 4.88 R&P'd AutoSlush box.

They took DRM to Lower Teminator when he was out here. He drove Pat Murphys Tube buggy and grinned ear to ear.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

We gonna do these at the CO4RJ thing?

Chest Mine(9/10), Holy Cross City(8/10)

How about this China Man thing?
Old 06-01-2003, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

I don't believe Iron Chest is, but the other 2 are scheduled.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by sschaefer3
We gonna do these at the CO4RJ thing?

Chest Mine(9/10), Holy Cross City(8/10)

How about this China Man thing?
Holy Cross City and Chinaman's Gulch are on the schedule. Iron Chest Mine isn't, but the most fun section is the continuous rock garden in the first 1/2 mile or so of the trail and it's about 20 minutes from our campground. So a few of us might still head over there and just do the start of it if we get back early one of those days (maybe Friday). IMO, I don't think that Iron Chest is as hard as Holy Cross. I disagree with the 9 rating on Iron Chest, but it's best if you have decent clearance, sliders, skidplates, and a locker. You'll get to hear a bunch of cool noises from your undercarriage.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally got on a computer that could play that, sweet vid.

I too was impressed to see the Marmotmobile in a full throttle assault. Guess this means it is time to get some spares for the summer when I get to wheel with y'all again.