Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Tinkham Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinkham Questions

I have been to Tinkham a few times, yet i have seen pictures on the WATTORA website and others of places i cannot find. There is a short mud track/tank trap. Where is this? When you take the Tinkham Rd exit heading eastbound on I-90, do you take a left or right? Where is the infamous hill climb as well? I have heard this can be a challenge, and several of my friends and i would really like to try it, but we just cant find it
Old 11-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow is up there now (its about 5000 feet)

Take the Denny Creek exit (47?), turn right, go over bridge to stop sign, turn right. Drive about a mile and a half, turn left (it's the first left: Hansen Creek)
Follow that main road all the way to the top, you will see a sign says City of Seattle watershed (closed and locked gate). The road continues to the right past the gate (not through the gate), goes way out around the end of a ridge, then back into a valley. It "ends" at a big turnaround, but you can continue on throught the feeble tank trap and up the hill climb. Good luck, the climb is in really torn up condition.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:33 PM

Thank You
Do you know of any other trails around the Valley? I have explored all of Exit 38, some of the Middle Fork, and Rock Creek Ridge before it was closed. I am tempted to go up to Lake Kachess/Keechelus. I have been up there several times and seen what looked like trails, but ive never been in my truck. Is there anywhere else to go wheeling?
Old 12-01-2004, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NB4runner
Is there anywhere else to go wheeling?
Wow... yeah, there're a couple of places around.

East (but west of the passes) and south (but north of Tacoma) there's:

Evan's Creek, Reiter Pit, Tahuya, Naches, Carbon River, Mt. Gardner (well, that's exit 38). There're a few more...

Going north, you get into a lot of places I don't know the names of around Bellingham.

I'll bet you're about to get a few more ideas in the thread.

fwiw, Here're some pics from runs I've been on:
http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/dirt/

Welcome to the forum, (and to the area?)!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 08:09 AM

Good luck getting to the hill climb, snow level is way down.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:32 AM

Thank you midiwall, but i was thinking more around the Snoqualmie Valley. I knew about the places you mentioned, i just dont have the time to venture out there, and my only friend with another capable Toyota just got in an accident, so im without a wheeling buddy for now.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:59 PM

Ahh... bummer.

Ya' know, if you don't mind the drive, you may wanna head out with this band of blockheads:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/wattora-greenwater-snow-run-12-11-2004-a-44468/

They're all GREAT guys - you'll have a heck of a good time.

A lot of us drive a ways to go on ride. Staying out in the exit 38/42 area of 90 gets to be kindof old (as you've seen). There're a couple of folks that come down from Everett on these runs, and one folk comes down from Bellingham.

If you decide to go on the snow run, PLEASE be sure to register. If folks don't know you're coming, then they don't know to wait for you if you're running late.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
If you decide to go on the snow run, PLEASE be sure to register. If folks don't know you're coming, then they don't know to wait for you if you're running late.
...and meeting locations have been known to change at the last minute and the new info is only distributed via the RSVP list. Besides, it's common courtesy.

This is currently a sore spot with me. We have been getting people who just show up for runs and it plays havoc with our planning/organization. WATTORA runs area always open to any WATTORA member who shows up, but if you are not a member of the chapter, at least have the decency to sign up on the list so that we can plan accordingly. We've had a lot of "hangers on" lately who contribute nothing to the chapter, but whom feel free to just show up and use our runs as their own social club. With as big as our runs are getting, those folks will be the first ones we start turning away when things get to the point of being unmanageable.

Ideally, I would like to see people who regularly enjoy coming on our runs become contributing chapter members. After all, it is free. But it's been a sore spot with me lately to see a few folks who ride on the coat-tails of the work we put into organizing WATTORA runs for chapter members on a regular basis, but later it comes out that they have been this place or that place and didn't return the favor!

By all means, come play with us. We welcome you. But if you have a good time, enjoy the company and intend to keep coming with us, sign up for chapter membership, sponsor a chapter run and help us keep this thing going
Old 12-01-2004, 04:49 PM

(lemme come in behind Rob here and point out that he's the WA chapter president of TTORA. He's got a reason to stand on a box of soap. )
Old 12-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATRD
...and meeting locations have been known to change at the last minute and the new info is only distributed via the RSVP list. Besides, it's common courtesy.

This is currently a sore spot with me. We have been getting people who just show up for runs and it plays havoc with our planning/organization. WATTORA runs area always open to any WATTORA member who shows up, but if you are not a member of the chapter, at least have the decency to sign up on the list so that we can plan accordingly. We've had a lot of "hangers on" lately who contribute nothing to the chapter, but whom feel free to just show up and use our runs as their own social club. With as big as our runs are getting, those folks will be the first ones we start turning away when things get to the point of being unmanageable.

)
Boy, I don't register for one run, the only run I get to hang out with Rob, and I'm already on the "naughty" list. No Xmas gifts for me I guess. Next time I'll try not to show Rob up on the trail and maybe you'll like me again.

Now where was that sign-up for the snow run..........
Old 12-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

See! There you go taking things personally again! Damned hippy-long-hair! Did I say your name in there anywere? I think not! Besides, the only reason you made through the rocks with some level of grace was you had a kick @ss spotter!

Now quit feeling sorry for yourself and sign you and the Teddy Bear up for the snow run!

hehehehhe
Old 12-04-2004, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by GRNTACO
Good luck getting to the hill climb, snow level is way down.
I think it is still manageable (perhaps ). I was up at Denny Creek last Sunday...hardly any snow on the ground.

However you better hit it today...after tonight, all bets are off. Snow's comin'!

Jim
Old 12-04-2004, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by jruz
I think it is still manageable (perhaps ). I was up at Denny Creek last Sunday...hardly any snow on the ground.

However you better hit it today...after tonight, all bets are off. Snow's comin'!

Jim

So what time do you want to meet tomorrow and try the hill climb?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Even if I have the flu I'd come out to watch that.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by MNBOY
Even if I have the flu I'd come out to watch that.
What time should we meet?
Old 12-04-2004, 12:43 PM

I have enough trouble when it is dry...

Might be fun to watch you though, too bad my Sunday is already booked.