General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual battery setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dual battery setup

I know there's quite a bit of information about dual battery setups, and I have read them all! One thing that I haven't totally figured out is this... If I use the Painless Wiring Dual Battery Controller, will I be able to hook up, say, an Optima Group 31 and an Odyssey 1200 without them killing each other? Many have posted that the batteries should be IDENTICAL (type, usage history, birthday, etc), but I have seen some with different models but not necessarily using the painless wiring kit.

Also, will this controller unit prevent overcharging the batteries?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:21 PM

OK. I think I'm starting to figure things out. I'm going to get the Hellroaring isolator/combiner and set it up in either the backup or auxillary configuration. This way, the batteries can be of any type and they'll be completely isolated. As far as the concern of overcharging, my readings have led me to believe that car batteries can withstand some extreme charges without problem, and an undercharged battery is what I should be concerned about.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I use that system on my dual battery system, I do have identical AGM batteries but it has worked flawlessly for the last 8 years:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...atteries.shtml
Old 05-09-2006, 05:03 PM

getting close

Thanks for the reply. I take it you've never overcharged a battery, or heard of this happening? Also, can I use a billet box in place of the stock clamp to hold a battery in the stock location? I'm close to buying all my parts, and when I do, I'll write up my installation... good or bad
Old 05-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

Self-discharge is the more common problem, that is if beatteries are left connected w/o any charging going on. If one battery is a fraction of a volt lower than the other, current will flow from high to low and kill the high battery. That is why you want matched batteries. But if disconnected while off, no problem with discharge.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:12 AM
dz

Originally Posted by Macallan12
As far as the concern of overcharging, my readings have led me to believe that car batteries can withstand some extreme charges without problem, and an undercharged battery is what I should be concerned about.
ever seen an exploded battery? I can take some pictures if you'd like, I know there's at least one sitting on the pile at the shop

Last edited by dz; 05-10-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:47 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
The Painless dual battery wiring setup disconnects the batteries when the vehicle is off...and/or you can use a manual marine switch to do the same thing...like w/ the triple batteries I have. I would think different batteries would be fine.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:58 AM

Both of my dads chevys have dual batteris in them. The are tied together by a heavy duty continous duty solenoid hooked up to an oil pressure switch. He now runs like batteries in both, he had a starting and a deep cycle in the P/U and it kept overcharging the deep cycle, boil over, battery acid everywhere. Now that he is running the like batteries no issues. Also no need for rewiring the alternator when you wire them this way, the second battery will charge when the solenoid is closed.

Also, it would be a good idea to rewire aux lights, stereo, etc. to the aux battery so that both batteries get used at the same time.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:54 PM

getting there

Thanks for all the input The way I understand the dual battery controller's function is as follows:

1. When the truck is off, the batteries are isolated and any draw from the aux will not affect the starter.
2. When the engine is running, the batteries are combined (kind of like having a single battery -- but it's now a system), causing the flow of power from high to low concentrations, with the alternator charging the battery system.
3. If the starter battery goes dead, the batteries can be combined while the engine is off to flow enough juice to start the truck.

If this is correct, then the stock charging system will ensure that neither battery is overcharged since it monitors the voltage of the system while combined (it should balance out between the two batteries, right?), and regulates the flow accordingly? If so, as long as I have two 12V batteries, I shouldn't worry about size differences (CCAs, reserve cap, etc)
Old 05-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Yep, that is the way the Painless controller (all it is is a 3 way switch and a solenoid) works. And yes, normally not too big a problem mixing batteries, they are only combined under charge. Only thing that might be an issue is to not mix wildy different battery designs, just to be safe.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:38 PM

how about this?

Making slow progress. I'm going with a Odyssey PC1200 for my starter and a PC1500 for my auxiliary. I can fit the 1200 on the passenger side, by the firewall. This is what I'm thinking...

I added some brackets on the fender to give support to the tray since the fender walls are very uneven over here...

I srewed them in with self-tapping metal screws. Next I added the tray that will hold the battery in place...

This will be held in place with 4 carriage bolts. Washers will be stacked between the bottom of the tray all the way to the fender for support. Next I put the battery in the tray, and here's my new starter...

Do you see any problems with this setup?