Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Which is more stable body lift or suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which is more stable body lift or suspension

Ok my friend and i are in an argument of which is more stable a body lift or suspension lift.
So which is more stable if you had the same amount of lift on one truck as the other?
-thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
suspention
Old 03-18-2009, 06:06 AM

x2 susp.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RoBatt
Ok my friend and i are in an argument of which is more stable a body lift or suspension lift.
So which is more stable if you had the same amount of lift on one truck as the other?
-thanks
Define what you mean by stable. There are two ways to look at that. On is simple center of gravity and there a body lift will have less impact on raising the CG than a suspension lift. Why? See below for a discussion:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#Lifts

So in that above case, put the two vehicles on a tilt table and see at what angle the vehicle tips over to the side.

Now if you are talking off-road, then it sort of depends. If you can put on a suspension lift with more wheel travel and axle articulation, then a suspension lift will win in uneven terrain most every time., since it is far more stable to keep all 4 tires on the ground at all times. However, if the lift has no additional wheel travel over stock, then you are back to the first case.

As a visual example, below are two vehicles crossing the Golden Crack at Moab. Not exactly the same spot of the crossing, but you can see how the first rig stays nearly level with all 4 tires on the ground and in the 2nd, you see more body lean and a tire in the air. Similar lift height on both rigs, although the white 4Runner has a 3" body lift and the blue pickup has 2" as I recall:

Old 03-18-2009, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What he said.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Define what you mean by stable. There are two ways to look at that. On is simple center of gravity and there a body lift will have less impact on raising the CG than a suspension lift. Why? See below for a discussion:

So in that above case, put the two vehicles on a tilt table and see at what angle the vehicle tips over to the side.

Now if you are talking off-road, then it sort of depends. If you can put on a suspension lift with more wheel travel and axle articulation, then a suspension lift will win in uneven terrain most every time., since it is far more stable to keep all 4 tires on the ground at all times. However, if the lift has no additional wheel travel over stock, then you are back to the first case.

As a visual example, below are two vehicles crossing the Golden Crack at Moab. Not exactly the same spot of the crossing, but you can see how the first rig stays nearly level with all 4 tires on the ground and in the 2nd, you see more body lean and a tire in the air. Similar lift height on both rigs, although the white 4Runner has a 3" body lift and the blue pickup has 2" as I recall:

yeah i was talking about stable as in a dd for on road handling and such
Old 03-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RoBatt
yeah i was talking about stable as in a dd for on road handling and such
A body lift will have less affect on center of gravity for a given lift height than any other form of lift:

If you assume a typical vehicle with perhaps 25% of it's mass in the body and perhaps 10% in the axles/wheels/tires, then look at the various types of lifts:

* Taller tires will raise nearly 100% of the vehicle's mass higher at the rate of 1" for every 2" of increase in tire diameter, since essentially every part of the vehicle is raised. Thus a 2" taller tire (i.e. 1" of lift) will raise the vehicle's center of gravity 1".
* A suspension lift will raise about 90% of the vehicle's mass (all but the ~10% unsprung weight of the axles, wheel and tires) at a rate of 1" for every 1" of lift. Since 90% of the mass is being raised 1", the center of gravity will raise about 0.9" as a result.
* A body lift will raise only 25% of the mass of the vehicle (i.e. only the body) so a 1" body lift will only change the center of gravity of the vehicle by that same ratio, or 0.25".
Old 03-19-2009, 02:50 PM

^^ thanks for the info i was right HA
Old 03-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Body lift all the way!

The run of the mill 4-5" bracket lift you can buy for our trucks does nothing but space the stock suspension down 4". Stock travel, and its weaker (more leverage put on IFS mounts).

go with a body lift!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay351
Body lift all the way!

The run of the mill 4-5" bracket lift you can buy for our trucks does nothing but space the stock suspension down 4". Stock travel, and its weaker (more leverage put on IFS mounts).

go with a body lift!
Kuh frickin pow! If anyone disagrees, I WILL fight you.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't disagree. I just think that if you drive like a sane person with the amount of lift you are running then both a BL and a suspension lift will be stable. If you plan on driving around turns going excessive speeds and driving crazy then a BL is better because the center of gravity is not as bad as it would be with a suspension lift.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I drive my truck HARD on the street. Enough to lift a front tire around corners....