Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Making Daily Driver/Desert truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making Daily Driver/Desert truck

Well i'm going to start with a stock taco. I want it to be street legal but i also want to be able to take into the desert and run it.(not as hard as a prerunner) Can it be done?If so what should i do to it?I might also do some normal mudding.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:14 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts

Please check out this site. And dont ask anything like this...

http://ttora.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186

Old 03-20-2009, 05:20 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's what you need to do:

- fill with gas
- head to desert

Seriously, what makes you think you HAVE to mod the truck?
Old 03-20-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Here's what you need to do:

- fill with gas
- head to desert

Seriously, what makes you think you HAVE to mod the truck?
yes, that is a good idea, but, make sure you have someone to yank you out if you get stuck. then, if you get stuck, you will know what you need to mod to get farther. if you can get as far as you want, then dont spend the money

welcome to yotatech

Old 03-23-2009, 01:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This site is amazing, amazingly rude! I belong to a few other automotive forums and none treat folks like this one, too bad. Isn't this section called "Nebie Tech"? Give the guy a break.

As for the original question I am buying a 1990 and I plan to fit the widest tires I can, so far I have found 31X13.50s. I won't be running sand dunes, but sand beaches and snow. I plan to put those tires and lockers on and go from there. I'm interested in what you have or plan to do and how it works out for you.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by limon32
This site is amazing, amazingly rude! I belong to a few other automotive forums and none treat folks like this one, too bad. Isn't this section called "Nebie Tech"? Give the guy a break.

As for the original question I am buying a 1990 and I plan to fit the widest tires I can, so far I have found 31X13.50s. I won't be running sand dunes, but sand beaches and snow. I plan to put those tires and lockers on and go from there. I'm interested in what you have or plan to do and how it works out for you.
Here is a good link these guy's pretty much wrote the book on pre running
www.chaosfab.com if you can't find what your looking for here you probably have to build/fab it yourself.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Let me be the first to say welcome to YT! TC makes a good point about taking it out and seeing what it can do. Search around a little and see what others have done. I know the sky is the limit when it comes to your truck. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the more helpfull replies, hopefully the original poster returns to read them.

I understand what you guys are saying about try and see how you do before you spend any more money and I KNOW you shouldn't be out in places where you will get stuck on your own. But around here, the tides are nearly 30 feet at times and super fast so if you do get stuck on the beach, theres nothing saying your partner will even have much of a chance to get you out before the tide comes in and eats your truck! Happens to some poor tourist who takes a rental car out on the beach every now and then. More of a good story than anything but I thought i'd point out that sometimes just going until you get stuck might not be so good either...
Old 03-23-2009, 07:42 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
You must not visit Pirate...
I think people are extremely nice here. When one of those questions that get asked waaaay too often get asked, or there's not nearly enough info in the post to give a helpful answer, there are a few people on here, me sometimes included, who are a little short with their answers. Like "try searching" or "we need more info". I don't really think it's rude. You show people here that you've done a little research and they're more than willing to help.

I think those were pretty good answers...but I agree, it's newbie tech section. Really though, it's nice that there are people willing to hold your hand here, but this is the same kind of response you'd get in the "real world", and it's not really rude, it's just not kindergarden "nicey".

What makes you think you need mods to have a good desert truck? Don't go spending money you don't need to. If you are specifically doing something more than just "being in the desert" or whatever, then give people more info on what specifically you want your truck to be able to do, then people have an idea. There are paved roads all throughout the desert. You want to be out in the sand dunes? Or rock crawling? If people know that stuff, then we're talking.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good post 83

To the OP: What year/cab configuration Taco? TRD or not? How fast do you want to go? You talk about desert in your original post, and then talk about tides ... where are you?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the more helpfull replies, hopefully the original poster returns to read them.

I understand what you guys are saying about try and see how you do before you spend any more money and I KNOW you shouldn't be out in places where you will get stuck on your own. But around here, the tides are nearly 30 feet at times and super fast so if you do get stuck on the beach, theres nothing saying your partner will even have much of a chance to get you out before the tide comes in and eats your truck! Happens to some poor tourist who takes a rental car out on the beach every now and then. More of a good story than anything but I thought i'd point out that sometimes just going until you get stuck might not be so good either...
Why would you be interested in what someone does to a Tacoma when you have a pickup?

This is the most 'adult' Toyota forum you will find on the web. How much time have you spent on this forum so far? Obviously, not enough.

Amazingly honest poster!

...and might I add, do not let one post by one person give you a perception of a site. It is free to join here, which means anyone can sign up and post whatever they want as long as it is within the rules. There are a lot of people I run into everyday that make ignorant comments but I don't go around judging the rest of the people I run into because of what one person said.

Last edited by Toyvana; 03-23-2009 at 09:02 AM.