Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Help! Front windows don't work in '86 Runner...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Front windows don't work in '86 Runner...

Hey guys,

So I was driving along the other day, and I had my windows down, so I rolled them up. Then all of a sudden the windows wouldn't go down or up at all. The power door lock switch still works, though. I've checked the pass. switch, and it doesn't have any power, either. I tested the driv. side switch, and it is functioning as it should as per the shop manual. I have no power at the driv. switch housing connector from the vehicle, and no power at the relay connector, either. Basically, no power is getting to the relay or the switches. Any ideas? Is there a fuse, fusible link, etc, which powers the windows?

Thanks
Jordan
Old 08-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Window Lock button?

I don't remember if there was one on the earlier models, but start simple!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Could be the power window relay or circuit breaker (if the lock button is not the issue):
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#PowerWindows
Old 08-09-2010, 02:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your fuses!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:32 PM

I checked all the fuses in the lower fuse panel, by the foot well, and all the fuses seemed in tact. I also made sure that the window lock button was not engaged.

Is there some other fuse that I should be checking? Which fuse is in the window circuit? Also, can somebody help me find the circuit breaker?

Thanks again.
Jordan
Old 08-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by The_Jerbel
I checked all the fuses in the lower fuse panel, by the foot well, and all the fuses seemed in tact. I also made sure that the window lock button was not engaged.

Is there some other fuse that I should be checking? Which fuse is in the window circuit? Also, can somebody help me find the circuit breaker?

Thanks again.
Jordan
Did you read the page I posted a link to above? If not, it has that information.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 PM

I did, and I saw what looks like the fuse panel at the driver's feet, as well as the two yellow things (what I presume are the circuit breakers) in front of the fuse panel. I checked the fuses and reset both yellow circuit breakers, but neither of those things seemed to solve the problem.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

No fuses typically, only the yellow circuit breaker. You could see if power is getting to the relay socket or bypass that relay with a jumper wire (as shown on that web page) and see if that does anything. If not, likely something in the window switches or wiring. Not sure if you have the all switch type system (like my '85) or have additional relays for the power windows. A FSM wiring diagram should show you which you have.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:32 PM

I know that I have the power window relay mounted on the rear driver's side wall. I tested the wiring, but like I said in the OP, I didn't see any power or signals to any of the wires, which leads me to think that I have a problem somewhere earlier in the circuit. Fuse or circuit breaker, maybe. I tested the 2 yellow things directly to the right of the fuse box (I guess those are the circuit breakers?), and they both show continuity.

I'm at a loss here.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

In addition to the relays that run the window motors up and down, there is a relay up by the circuit breakers that is used to supply power to the windows when the ignition is turned on (that is what prevents the windows from working with the ignition is off). Might be that relay that is not working. I bypassed that relay on my '85 wire a length of wire:
Old 08-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Here is a pic of my truck. Sorry for the cell phone camera quality. Both of these circuit breakers have continuity...

BTW, thanks for all the help. I have no A/C, so with windows that won't go down in the heat of summer, I really appreciate all the help I can get.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Any other ideas?

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Probably time to break out the volt meter or test light. So you have power at the circuit breakers but not at the relays. So locate the wiring between those two points and find a place to test some place in between the two ends to see if there is power there. If not, work back towards the breakers or if there is power, move towards the relays and re-test.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:29 AM

Thank you, sir.

Just an update. The fuse box is getting 12V, but the circuit breakers are getting nothing, but when I test the breakers independently, they both show continuity. If I put my voltmeter across the terminals where the breakers plug in, I get nothing. The 80amp, 40amp, and 30amp fusible links under the hood all look good. The power door lock switch is working, but the front windows are not. The window switches aren't getting any power from the car, not is the window relay on the rear driver's side wall. Obviously power is being lost before it gets to the circuit breakers, but I'm not sure where it comes from before that point.

Last edited by The_Jerbel; 08-10-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:47 PM

OK, another update. I spent some time today with the multimeter and the FSM wiring diagrams, and the door control relay is getting power, except for the terminal that controls power being cut off from the windows with the ignition off after a 60 second timeout, or when a door is opened. Also, the lower breaker has power to it, but the upper one does not (with ignition on). All fuses and fusible links are good. The only thing I can think of now, is a bad wire to the breaker socket, a bad relay, or a bad window switch. Any ideas?
Old 01-01-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I want to try 4crawler's jumper wire solution. My 86 4runner has two yellow circuit breakers to the right of the fuse box. When I pull the top one out I see a black two blade receptacle slot for the circuit breaker, not a set of 4 blade terminals as shown in 4crawlers pic above.

Do I need to remove something else, or should I put the jumper wire in the two circuit breaker slots?

Thanks!
Mike
Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

You want to jumper/bypass the relay and not the circuit breaker. The relay is the thing that turns on and off with the key/ACC. I think the later 1st gens changed the power windows to add more relays. In the '85, there is the one relay for power and the rest is the window switches. Later models have multiple relays for the power windows so find the one relay that turns on and off with the key (FSM wiring diagram and Body Electrical sections).
Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks 4Crawler! I located the relay box and found a few solder joints that were burned. Resoldered them and the windows work like new!

Thanks so much!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:13 PM

Where was that relay box I am also having the same issue can you post a pic?