Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Brake change advice where to buy OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake change advice where to buy OEM?

Hello YT!

My fiancee and I recently acquired a 99 SR5 and the front brakes are pretty shotty. An auto repair shop estimated ~$700 for the complete front job which includes:
-rotors
-calipers
-pads

From researching past posts I've learned that the front rotors are prone to warping. The mechanic said the calipers are rusted, but from what I understand just because they're rusted does not mean changing them is a necessity? I also read on these forums that mechanics will often try to sell you a caliper job?

My plan is to buy OEM discs and pads and have some independent install them. Do I need calipers too?

So I have a couple of questions for you guys:
1) Where online would you recommend I purchase OEM brakes? I'd be willing to buy other brands too, but I know I can depend on the quality and reliability of OEM.

2) After looking at toyotapartscheap.com I see
DISC, FR 98-04
DISC, FR 98-00
Rotor, 4-runner, all, w/16" wheels 96-02.

The tires say 265 70 16, but I haven't measured the actual rims, so I guess I need the 16" wheel ones.

I guess all of these would "work" for me since I have a 99, but there are no other descriptors for these items on the website. Would they all work? They are all around $80 some bucks. There are multiple options for the pads as well:

Front pads, 4-runner 96-02
PAD KIT, DISC BRAKE 99-03
PAD KIT, DISC BRAKE 99-00.

What do I buy? *ARGH*

Thanks so much guys, all suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:24 AM

Unless the piston on the caliper is frozen or rusted out, there is no need to replace the calipers. If they are shot, try Ebay or a junkyard. Most members here have had good luck with most types of rotors. If you want the most minimal dust, OEM is the way to go for the pads. I think that there is only one size pad for the 16" wheel (04465-35230).

Since new calipers are probably not necessary, use excess $$$ to replace all the old brake fluid with new.

If OEM is what you are after, try www.toyotapartszone.com. Just enter in your VIN #, and then four subcatergories appear. They offer instant online help. Savings equate to roughly 30% off dealer retail minus shipping.

Post a pic when you have time.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. If most types of rotors work, are there any online retailers you recommend where I can purchase them?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't this guy just go to the auto parts store and get everything he needs for like $300 or less? There isn't a reason to get OEM in the brakes department as far as quality issues that I know of. If you got calipers from the parts store I'm sure they would be rebuilt OEM and I don't think rotors are a big deal OEM or aftermarket. Just my opinion.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by richf
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't this guy just go to the auto parts store and get everything he needs for like $300 or less? There isn't a reason to get OEM in the brakes department as far as quality issues that I know of. If you got calipers from the parts store I'm sure they would be rebuilt OEM and I don't think rotors are a big deal OEM or aftermarket. Just my opinion.
yeap your right, somethings your better off getting at the dealership.. but things like this.. no need to. go get some ebc brake pads and some rotors.. youll be set.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

There is something nice about buying some things local.

I just bought Rotors and front brake pads from the dealer it is nice to not see made in China on parts

Depends where you are Napa Advanced Auto Auto Zone I would and have bought brake parts in the past

Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Thanks guys. I have bought a set of premium Napa pads and rotors. I want to install myself but I think I read something about brake fluid spillage and frozen pistons that I got discouraged.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen some cars still under warranty with a whole new brake system (calipers, pads, rotors, and master cylinder) because some shops replace all as a CYA (cover your ass) or it is the only way they will warranty anything. I don't believe you need new calipers, and unless you feel pulsating in the steering wheel or brake pedal, you don't even need rotors. The OEM pads are manufactured more for a reduction in noise, so they will not be the best performance pads, I would just get some nice aftermarket pads and get the rotors turned if they needed it.