Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

3vze, bought a reman engine and something is not right

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze, bought a reman engine and something is not right

Heyya guys and gals. I am stuck, bad. I have a 95 Toyota 4 Runner with the 3vze in it. The original engine threw a rod bearing, so.....I ordered a reman. I put it in, finally got it timed. PITA to time only scratches the surface of this thing. Anywho, got it running but wasnt happy with idle rpm. Got it idling about 950 in park, 1100 in gear and it seemed to be happy. Took it out for a spin. Very little oil pressure. Brought it back home, very little oil on dipstick, WTF ? I had just put five quarts of Rotella in it. I put another quart in it thinking it just took some to get everything lubed and happy. I got a reading on the dipstick ( it was still low ) but the oil pressure came up. I took it out for a little more bonding time and things seemed on the up and up. Oil pressure on the gauge was still very low but I was being patient. I stopped by Wally World and purchased another quart, dumped it in .( I wasnt comfortable with this but I was clueless. ) I drove it around, up some hills, just trying to see how she was doing. On the way home, oil pressure bottomed out, almost completely. I took it it nice and slow on the home. I got home and when I removed the oil cap the oil was smoking a little. I begin looking for leaks, checking oil cooler hoses, something blown out......anything that would show some form of ailment. Nothing. Then I checked the breather tubes and boxes. I noticed oil coming out of the first plastic box contraption. I pulled the tube, soiled oil coming through the throttle body and leaking out the breather box. I have no idea. I am techanically inclined but lack the neccessary experience for these sorts of things. Anyone out who can shed some light on this would be my hero, quite literally. Ahh yes, before the engine replacement, the truck was great, started right up and ran like a beast. No, it sucks starting. I have to hold the accelerator on the floor to get it going. Replaced cold start valve, no change. I dont know if these two issues are related, but thought I would throw that in there. thanks in advance for the help fellow yotans ! I feel like my girl is laying on the floor bleeding out and there isnt a darned thing I can do about it .
Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Alright, update. I pulled the vacuum diagrams and things were out of place and fixed those. No major improvements. Back to the drawing board.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope u get it figured out man.Let us know if the remanufactured engine is worth whatever you payed for it.God bless.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe keep adding oil a little at a time until it shows normal on the dipstick. Did your remanufactured engine come with any sort of warranty?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:49 AM

Tonight I am tackling the PCV. Probably throw a fuel filter in as well. I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever it is, must be computer related. The idle changes by itself. That doesnt make sense to me. Mechanically, thats not possible. But with a computer aided idle, anything is possible. I am thinking sensor of some sort. As far as oil in the throttle body, that came from backwards vacuum hoses. I don't understand the science behind that but.....sure. As soon as it was started with correctly routed vacuum hoses, the oil shot out of the tailpipe. The throttle body has been clean the three times I've checked it. I cleaned the EGR vacuum modulator last night just for fun. The new issue is....not a whole lot of power. Pedal to the metal to get it up a moderate hill at 15mph. All of the sensors and what not look factory. For someone in the know, do you think the TPS could be giving me problems ? I was thinking when the throttle body got fouled with oil, the TPS could be equally fouled. The truck wants to run ! In the midst of the problems she is running. She wants to feel better. I don't want to give up. i payed fifteen hundred for the reman. She has a three year, unlimited mile warranty. Everytime I google various issues for my truck, this page is the number one hit, everytime. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum. I am impressed. I am hoping someone out there can steer me in the right direction.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:53 AM

Ah yes, as far as the oil pressure is concerned, you know that oil pressure sensor, up and to the front of the oil filter ? Well, that little wiring harness to it was broken during the reman install so I just crimped the wire to that little contact in there. Well, it was on very good and was just loose and bobbing around in there. So, I took the sensor out and soldered the wire to the contact. No more problems with the erradict oil pressure.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:54 AM

"Well, it *was* on very good......."

*wasn't*
Old 12-17-2009, 12:10 PM

DO you have an O2 sensor (covered in oil) maybe, or the MAF is dirty, what about the pcv valve, did you check it and make sure its working? DOuble check the plugs and wiring all over the motor, had a bad TPS before, where the wire went into it was broke. Welcome to yotatech also.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:27 PM

Anybody know where the Engine Coolant Temapture Sensor is located ?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:28 PM

I found out the EGR Time Delay switch is busted. How detrimental is that ?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by JasonCooper
Anybody know where the Engine Coolant Temapture Sensor is located ?
Back of the engine next to the fire wall - you almost have to take off the air intake plenum to get at it.

Do you know about the online FSM? There is sticky here somewhere.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:09 PM

I found out the EGR Time Delay switch is busted. How detrimental is that ?
Never ran into an EGR time delay switch before. Are you sure you don't mean the cold injector time switch?

Cold injector time swich could affect starting if it does not allow the injector to open, but usually this switch is set up to turn off the injector after a little while.

Some EGRs had a temp sensor - you could bypass them with a resistor. You can find threads on that.

Generally the EGR does not have much of an impact on performace - many vehicles actually run better without it. However if it throws a code it will retard your timing - and your engine will perform poorly.

You mentioned timing in your original email - have you checked/confirmed it is OK with a timing light? That could result in poor performance.

Last edited by BC Rider; 12-17-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:56 PM

Alright, I finally stopped timing by ear and got a light. It was timed at zero. I put it on 10 degrees and she is screaming. The "EGR Time Delay Switch" part number is 8946220040. Autozone is asking 129.99 for it. I could replace my debatably bad TPS for that. i am telling you fellas, when she was warmed up tonight, she was screaming ! if it werent for the wranglers, she would peeled out no doubt. starting her from cold........oh jesus.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:10 PM

this is the "new" list , long block reman, all seals and gasket on engine, radiator, oil pump, fuel injectors, cold start injector, water pump, thermostat, new plugs, all new belts, fresh oil, air filter, oil filter. after this weekend- new pcv and fuel filter.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:12 PM

sorry, i forgot. that o2 sensor is expensive as all get out. can it be cleaned ?
Old 12-18-2009, 09:49 AM

sorry, i forgot. that o2 sensor is expensive as all get out. can it be cleaned ?
Can't be cleaned - but you don't need OEM.

A generic one (get the japanese one made by NGK - I think they call them NTK) is just as good. NAPA and others have them.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:53 AM

Can you clean the MAF ?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:52 PM

Now, oil pressure gauge will go all the way up, then all the way to the bottom.....for no apparent reason. Geez. I am losing hope.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 AM

Alright, not sure anyone is going to read this, it's been awhile since I was on here. I finally got things figured out. The oil pressure gauge going crazy was just something stupid. I put an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge in and all is fine. She is running good, not great, but good. I will finish ironing her out in the spring. Thanks to all who posted above!