YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Switched power

We put some PIAA lights on the truck (1994 pickup) and I am looking for a place to tap into the parking lights and steal some of the power. I would like the lights to only work when the key is on.

Can anyone provide an easy location to tap into the power
thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
2" OME lift in front and AAL in the rear
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wire it into the fuse box.

Find an accessory or your running lights fuse to tap into.

I see people over complicate these kind of things all the time, easiest and simplest way is to wire it into your fuse box.

If you own a 3.0 I applaud you. You are capable of breaking your own arm to reach impossible bolts, can drive with one eye on the road and one on your temp gauge, and know all the guys at the local parts store by name.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Red face

:jessica: well wiring into the light circuit would turn them on any time the lights are on .

Find a spot in the fuse panel that is energized when the ignition is on then but then unless you instal a switch they are on when the ignition is on.

Bottom line when do you want them to be on.

You can wire them any way you want but if you wire them through the ignition switch to also be powered by the parking light circuit you would need to add a relay

Then the relay coil is powered by the ignition switch when the switch is on the coil pulls the contacts closed that are wired to the parking light circuit and to your new lights. The light come on.

Is this what you want!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhed View Post
I am looking for a place to tap into the parking lights and steal some of the power. I would like the lights to only work when the key is on. Can anyone provide an easy location to tap into the power
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
Wire it into the fuse box.
By PIAAA, I'm assuming driving lights or fog lights? That will overload your tail light circuit if you stole power from that.
Gotta use relay to handle load current of your PIAA. Supply power directly from battery via inline fuse.

Wire it this way - Using switched ground control, consistent with most Toyota control circuits.

Click the image to open in full size.

If you want it only on only IF ignition is on, take positive power for control (relay coil) from cigarette lighter circuit, since it's already under dash.

IF you wanton only if tail lights are on, tap control wire positive from front marker positive in front corner fender, near marker light. Example of tap on first gen here.

Click the image to open in full size.

Look at your schematic to verify what color wire to tap from, other wise you could have blinking fog lights

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-10-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement