Old 03-21-2006, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question planning transfer case rebuild

1st my toy specs:
86 IFSrunner Canadian built 230kmi
22re EFI non turbo
A340H auto transmission
c/tr,a/tm # 3d7fw41g282a340h

Q: Most impoortantly, does anyone know what xfer case I have with the above specs, or where it may be stamped?
I have obtained FSM docs on a "VF1A xfer case" Which is matched to an "A340F auto transmission". Unsure of compatability.
Q: What is a common parts list for a rebuild?
I have slop @ the rear output, "Driven Sprocket Bearings" maybe.
Q: Does anyone typically go any further than this & can these bearings be replaced, on the truck, by dismantling the 1st stage?

There are a lot of replaceables i can see from the FSM, bearings, seals, chain,pump... I know they are not all going to have part#'s & I certainly dont have all the label names.

Marlins Complete rebuild kit doesn't seem complete to me & certainly not model specific: VF1A vs. RF1A or possibly more models.

so, if anyone can help me out or point me in a different direction that would be great.
thanks
sean
Old 03-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You should know, I haven't actually torn into a transfer yet. With that said...

I am pretty sure all 4cyl transfer cases are gear driven, so no chain to wear or replace. Also pretty sure you have 21 spline input and output shafts, which might be helpful for parts.

My guess would be that you won't really know what you need until you tear into it. I am sure you are looking to avoid downtime when ordering parts, but that might be the best course of action and possibly save some money.

Try searching this board and other sources online for transfer ID methods.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The transfer case on my 88-4R (22RE) is chain driven and is matched to a 340H tranny. Typically, you get the rebuild kit part number for the tranny and add a 'T' to the end to get the xfer case rebuild kit.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The A340H transfer case is integral with the tranny. They are almost like one unit.

Mike in AR
Old 03-21-2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by regularguy412
The A340H transfer case is integral with the tranny. They are almost like one unit.

Mike in AR
What he said. They even share the AT fluid.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:46 AM

I have exhausted myself searching for the xfer case tech docs.
One dealer said that the xfer case part # is this:
610335014 and its $999.
Another couldn't tell me anything other than they were all the same from 85-89 and no rebuild kits.

i dont want to tear into this w/o the proper docs.
the VF1A model docs are from an (92 22RE, A340F tranny)

>Internetroadkill< could you elaborate a little with your experience w/your xfer case??

if anyone can volunteer "year related docs" or "xfer model type", i can go from there.
thanks guys,
Old 03-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Have you checked the Marlin website? They have a lot of info with their selling crawlers and gear upgrades.

If you are looking for parts they sell, I am sure they can help with the identification and tech side of things.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:23 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you go on the toyota tech site and download the FSM?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:10 PM

>Elvota< I didn't really spend any real time in "Marlins" web site. only to do a quick search for a rebuild kit which seemed to be for all toyotas, not model or gen specific. If you claim they have more to offer, i'll check them out more thoroughly.

>TC< "toyota tech site "?? do you mean @ ( http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/ )?
I had attempted to dig through this site in the past and their google based search function didn't seem to grab everything. I have started digging again and i can't seem to find the FSM dwnld page. Not sure if this site is the one that FSM's started from the 90's. I'll keep looking though.

on page ( http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/ ) i did find they state that it may be a "VF2A chain drive transfer case" or an "electronically controlled integral transfer case" or one in the same. (ECC) "power & economy" electronic ctrl functions on the console, & display on dash is starting to make sense now. I thought this waved a magic wand in the transmission, not xfer case. I'm starting to see the extent of integral you guys are talking about.

thanks,
Old 03-22-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The kit I have is the K97900T which I think is made by Makco. So far, it has everything for my 88 xfer case except for the friction plates and one O-ring that seems to be missing. The friction plates were bought seperately.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

This page seems to have a lot of info as to how to indentify cases... but maybe your past that point and are looking for parts now.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/
Old 03-22-2006, 05:02 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry - don't have a link, but mean the Toyota site where you can pay $10/day and unlimited download all the technical info you want, so you can download the entire FSM.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the Toyota Tech Site.

http://techinfo.toyota.com/

Apparently you can just do the 1 day thing and just download it all....hopefully. I'm about to try it, because I have to do my transfer case too.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:22 AM

>Saint_Berzerker< Good to see someone from Austin. I lived there a few years back. Great, clean town. Most friendly town i can think of. Probably due to it's diversity.

How has the semiconductor Industry been recently there? I see that you are into electronics... Have you checked out AMD yet? Extremely awesome company to work for...they don't get any better than that.

I checked out ( http://techinfo.toyota.com/ ) this morning, & it appears that they probably dont have FSM Docs for an 86 4runner auto, since they claim most 90 & newer. If you dont mind, could you check to see if they have mine listed.

( http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/ ) Check this out. It's not complete. Mine is probably not compatable, but may have all you need.

for me, i'm still digging
Old 03-23-2006, 06:31 AM

OK, I think this is what i need...
a detailed exploded view of an A340H transmission + teardown/buildup procedure.

I think the A340H was applied from 86-95 although i've dug through a lot of data discrepancies.

I thought that i would try to RETORQUE the companion flange nut 1st.
Does anyone know what it should be?

Last edited by SR5_Sean; 03-23-2006 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, Austin is nice...the semiconductor thing kinda tanked a few years ago. It's not as good here, but it's nice still...better than houston where I lived for 5 years before moving back last year.

Anyhow...I think I have what you need. I have the service manual for my truck, 93 pickup, and I have the whole file for the A340H transmission. It's in PDF file, only about 1.5 meg for the transmission files...I'll email them to you right now.

I'm gonna have to do my transfer case too. I have a manual transmission though. My front wheel drive is shot, hasn't worked since I bought it last year, and I'm going to be attempting to do it soon. A rebuild doesn't seem that hard. If you need the file for the transfer case, I have that. I don't know if the files I have are the same that you need though.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:59 AM

Right-On

>Saint_Berzerker< I sent you an e-mail.

if anyone is curious...
this is a side profile link to an A340H Transmission/transfer:
( http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...27descript.pdf )

I'm not sure what the deal is with posting pics yet or i would have posted them here.
A .5Mb limit?? Do we have to use our own server as access port?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SR5_Sean
Right-On

>Saint_Berzerker< I sent you an e-mail.

if anyone is curious...
this is a side profile link to an A340H Transmission/transfer:
( http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...27descript.pdf )

I'm not sure what the deal is with posting pics yet or i would have posted them here.
A .5Mb limit?? Do we have to use our own server as access port?
The moderators prefer you use a 3rd party pic posting site with links, instead of using server space on the board for pix.

Mike in AR