86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I think I have figured out a way to efficiently place a turbo on my 3vz

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so you guys want me to go back to the junk yard and find a turbocharger off of a blue oval of all things. I'd probably be easier finding a Buick or Pontiac turbocharged engine than the above mentioned scenarios. However, I think whatr I have here is just fine to rebuild. I think what I have will spool early and top out about 3k or so, (Driver?)
Looking at what I have for the T3 rebld kit, it looks identical to what i have as far as the innards, size brngs, clips, gaskets, washers, etc...

I mean all orifices are smooth no nicks or scrathes, the blades are all good and have no damage, the bearings just felt a bit sloppy. I dont think there should be a margin of considerate play for the floating bearings ?? So I voted to rebuild it. Then seeing CX Motorsprts unbelievable deals I got excited. But after being asked to take a closer look I see chincyness.(aluminum casting way to shiny like its thin).
and other fine details just look cheap.
anyway I have this, just rebuild it. The A/R's are similarly low. I think if it builds quick and tops out at about 3000r's I would be happy not tohave to pull alot of rpm's to get the power, less revs less likelihood of damage?
I am so damned antsie, my hand isn't healing as quickly as I want it to. I was stupid and took out the stitches cause it iytched like hell and had been a week(stupid huh) but the rip where the webbing comes through to my palm hasnt closed. so I guess I have been a little too rough so far with it(now if I could just get the wife to use the jar openr).lol. ... I needd a monkey .
sorry bout the typing fellas, Go figure I drive a stick, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Banned

If I dont make any sense sometimes, I probably am not feeling any pain at that moment if you know what i m,ean....it will wear off...and hell I probably won't remember saying it anyway....oh damn.....it's all in writing...lol
Old 04-07-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DIRT CLOD
1.) However, I think whatr I have here is just fine to rebuild. I think what I have will spool early and top out about 3k or so, (Driver?)

2.) Looking at what I have for the T3 rebld kit, it looks identical to what i have as far as the innards, size brngs, clips, gaskets, washers, etc...I mean all orifices are smooth no nicks or scrathes, the blades are all good and have no damage, the bearings just felt a bit sloppy. I dont think there should be a margin of considerate play for the floating bearings ??

3.) I think if it builds quick and tops out at about 3000r's I would be happy not tohave to pull alot of rpm's to get the power, less revs less likelihood of damage?
1.) I think it will probably produce usable boost right off idle.

2.) Journal bearing turbos actually do have some radial play even when new. If the wheels don't touch the housings, then the play usually tightens up when they get oil pressure. It's the axial play from a worn out thrust bearing that appears to be more worrisome.

3.) Not necessarily. Having the boost come on early is going to put more emphasis on a good tune and good fuel. You will have to pull the ignition timing back quite a bit because the cylinder pressures and likelihood of pinging are higher at low rpm.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
The XR4Ti was the US version of the Sierra, not a Taurus. The Taurus was a front-wheel drive platform and the XR4 was RWD.
That's right I'm pretty sure we did get the sedan/wagon versions of the sierra though I remember the Car and Driver spyshot article from back in the day they just called it something else here... I think I still have the old mag. at home I'll try to find the article and scan/link it here or some thing...
Old 04-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Banned

I already figured I would have to retard it a bit. I have it advanced about 7 or 8 deg.
I was going to go back to 0 and go from there. I heard I may need to go - back 5deg. or so possibly?

I cannot believe how simple these are mechanically(turbocharger itself).
I wish I have thought about turbocharger back in the pontiac days(at least when I had p[ontiacs, but then I had kids and cannot afford the parts anymore) then again that was 20 years ago. I'm a late 70's firebird NUT. (77-78 favs)....lol...here I go again...ramble ramble...
Old 04-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

haha yeah I like those Bandit special editions too...
Old 04-08-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I already figured I would have to retard it a bit. I have it advanced about 7 or 8 deg.
I was going to go back to 0 and go from there. I heard I may need to go - back 5deg. or so possibly?

I cannot believe how simple these are mechanically(turbocharger itself).
I wish I have thought about turbocharger back in the pontiac days(at least when I had p[ontiacs, but then I had kids and cannot afford the parts anymore) then again that was 20 years ago. I'm a late 70's firebird NUT. (77-78 favs)....lol...here I go again...ramble ramble...
I don't know how far the timing will have to be pulled back, but 0° BTDC is probably a good conservative start. Keep an eye on EGTs if you can. You'll know there isn't enough timing if the EGTs are really high.

Turbos were all the rage from the late '70s to early 90s, but remained a seemingly black art until the end of that period. Digital EFI systems were just getting good by the early '80s and the programmer/chipping market didn't exist for quite a few years afterward. I think now is probably the heyday of high performance engines and it will continue to improve until no one can afford(or obtain) petroleum.

Last edited by Dirt Driver; 04-08-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Banned

I can concuur with that...
Old 04-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

Its not just the bandit ed. that I like its the body all together...I love the grills and the hood etc...also it is the last generation body to have the pontiac 400cid, which is probably my favorite motor of ALL time. in 78 they started using an oldmobile 403 and started doing away with the 400. they still made the block for a few years after but all their v8's were based off of the same block, 301, 350, 400, 455. they discontinued the latter 3.I think it all started as the 389. I know I had a 74 400 that I put 389 heads on.
anyways..healing up pretty good now so should be able to get to work on my toy.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wish I have thought about turbocharger back in the pontiac days(at least when I had pontiacs, but then I had kids and cannot afford the parts anymore) then again that was 20 years ago. I'm a late 70's firebird NUT. (77-78 favs)....lol...here I go again...ramble ramble...
I have a '72 firebird (sorry, know it's not the 3rd gen but I like the picture window in the back) that needs some care: used to be my bro's and he had several kids... I used to launch my jet ski with it and have replaced the wheel and carrier bearings but haven't got around to the pinion, and it also needs front sub-frame (encountered a chunk of concrete at 35 miles per hour) with a 400 pontiac engine 2bbl and floor shift th350 that I might be persuaded to part with...
did I mention the class III trailer hitch welded to the frame?

Last edited by abecedarian; 04-16-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

'72 was a great year1 I like the open nose on those. In '74 they changed to second. gen I never really cared for the reduction in the openings of the grill until the 77 came out. I love the honeycomb detail of the car. the grill the wheels etc.. I hated in 79 when they did away the the exposed grills all together. They moved it to the bottom of the nose.

Anyways, back on topic...
I am HOPING to have my mod done by the first of May. I intend on going to the dunes and trails that weekend.

With being unable to work as of late it makes things a bit hard on the pocket, but since I am having such a low budgeted mod, I am able to hopefully trudge on.
I ordered a diverter valve for my excess( DRIVER: I am glad that you brought that up earlier in the thread )for after doing some research found that it is most recommended.for turbo fabs. on non turbo engines due to excessive pressure build up in the intake and heads upon decel.and shifting. I honestly wouldnt probably used one until something stupid had happened.

If things dont work out as planned I am looking for a smashed taco or runner with the 3.4. I have seen the used 3.4 go for up to 1200 used. I have seen salvage trucks for just a cpl hun. more with still engine harness ecu engine and all the fixens....but i have NO FEAR! that my 3vz will do JUST FINE with 6 or 8 pounds of boost....also going to order some choice H.G's just in case....we all know why....maybe keep a bottle of blue devil in the box as well...lol...

Last edited by DIRT CLOD; 04-18-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

so if it's already destined as a failure...I CAN'T WAIT TO BREAK IT!...LOL
Old 04-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Banned

Yeah, Got an o2 sensor off of e bay..$50! and it is new in wrapper! Factory! (Nippon Denso). I couldnt find a universal that cheap... Arrived today and its exactly that.
But...yea, always a but, when I crawled under to replace it , everything is RUSTED solid...Guess I am going to have to get a new down pipe form the man. to the cAT....small change in plans too...the Turbo charger is going to be the muffler...

hand is doing well so its BACK AT IT....YEEEEE HAAAW
Old 04-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Banned

for kicks and giggles I am bidding on a Garrett T3. Extremely low bid but I am still in the lead...I mean if I get get a Garrett T3 new IB cheap....and its same A/R... .42 cold...dunno the hot side yet...but most are .50 or .48....yeee haaw