Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I think I have figured out a way to efficiently place a turbo on my 3vz

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this worth wheelin oiut in the bogs for?

I think I have figured out a way to efficiently place a turbo on my 3vz-picture-113.jpg
Old 03-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

So was it the fish that took a bite outta yer paw? or did somebody goof when they should have gaffed?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Banned

actually that was unrelated. I was just thinking that I wish I had some pictures of the time my buddy and I had gone over and through the river to get to the lake. We got stuck at least a dozen times and almost had to spend the night...lol....ran out of gas on the way out. BUT IT WAS WORTH IT! That is the only picture I have from that trip. The big mouth that DID"NT get away, taken after I pulled up in the drive!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Banned

Oh the hand. I ummmm....well...basically the head of a screw ripped through my hand and finger webbing....I was like "WOW"....lol...never seen so many non mechanical moving parts...NASTY....but I dont feel a thing...I feel pretty damn good at this moment (at least for the next 3 hours or so...lol but hey I'm a carpenter....I got screwed.
I knew I should have been a machinist!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DIRT CLOD
Oh the hand. I ummmm....well...basically the head of a screw ripped through my hand and finger webbing....I was like "WOW"....lol...never seen so many non mechanical moving parts...NASTY....but I dont feel a thing...I feel pretty damn good at this moment (at least for the next 3 hours or so...lol but hey I'm a carpenter....I got screwed.
I knew I should have been a machinist!
The head of a screw?... ok... soooo you were holding some wood together with your hand and used a screw that was too long... and drove the screw in with the 'gun and forgot to pull you hand out of the way... or the screw slipped off the edge of the work and into your hand... either way all I can say is ouch!...
those tendons are pretty cool looking though are'nt they?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Banned

yeah, cool,I would have rather not seen them first HAND...lol..
Actually what happened is that I have a piece of 1 and 1/2 sch. 80 pipe cut down to fit as a block for my sliding glass door, I put a screw into the pipe for easy removal from the track.
I woke up tues morn and was pulling the pipe out to open the door and had noticed that the dogs had gotten hold of my new limited edition U of A hat and shredded it all over the yard. I had a hold of the pipe and just went to smash it down to the ground (rather than take the taurus to the dog) and unfortunately the head of said screw was in the palm of my hand and well...you see...
Old 03-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Banned

At least this will give me some time to gather all my neccessities for the project. As far as when I can get started, as long as surgery isn't required I should be able to start crankin again in a couple a weeks. (3 weeks before I should grip a hammer they say) but I have never been one to follow...I more or less like to go my own way...but...given the sit. I should probably listen to the doc.

that said and done poke me with some humor and or ideas...I got time to kill...lol
Old 03-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

I had a hold of the pipe and just went to smash it down to the ground (rather than take the taurus to the dog) and unfortunately the head of said screw was in the palm of my hand and well...you see...
leverage and a fulcrum... it's a wonderful thing
don't be mad at the dog... he found something that smelled like you and wanted to play with it... not his fault "somebody" left the hat where he could grab it... go give that little guy some love...
Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Driver
That reminds me, what are you going to do about air metering?
Whatever it takes,
The reason I asked is because if you maintain a draw-through VAM like stock, then that more or less rules out using a BOV. It doesn't mean one cannot be used, but venting air that has already been measured will cause a momentary rich condition and will probably be accompanied by a stumble.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Banned

so would I rather leave the vacuum actuated alone and not worry about the BOV? Anyway, Getting it all together at least material wise
Itll be about 14 inches from tail tipe end
Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

hey clod how're you healin'?

you know we have to come up with a better back story for your scar then "I screwed myself" [a-hyuk]... that has soooo many wrong connotations... especially for a hand injury...
anybody got any suggestions?

Last edited by aviator; 03-31-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:31 PM

This sounds like a really cool project! Can't wait to see. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

What about "I cut myself peelin' taters"... or "I was filleting a fish and the knife slipped"...
"I was sharpening my axe and I sneezed"... that sounds sorta cool...
Old 03-31-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so would I rather leave the vacuum actuated alone and not worry about the BOV?
Are you talking about the actuator on the turbo? If so, that is for the wastegate and is a separate part of the turbo system.

You can use a BOV with a draw-through metering setup if the it is routed back between the air meter and turbo so the metered air isn't lost.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Banned

well.....unfortunately ALL those wound scenarios would be fine and dfandy but I do believe I used the term "ripped" there really was no cut about it. Had I been using a knife that makes an injury like this I would be no fisherman at all.
ever seen the bones in the back of your hand from the front side?...It's actaully kinda cool...until the injections start!

progress soon

Last edited by DIRT CLOD; 03-31-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

The axe scenario could work if you assume you caught a corner of the axe as you sneezed... don't worry I'm workin' on it... I'll have a good story for you soon...

Hey! what about this... you were working on your gf's car and the electric fan started suddenly... that could work and explain the rip... unfortunately you still sound like a doofus for not disconnecting the batt. but then real men never do [unless they have to] so it might work...

or you were working on your truck and your gf was helping and she thought you said, "give it a try honey" when you said , "pass me the pry honey". your hand got caught in the fan... it could work and the gf takes the blame... best of both worlds lol...

Last edited by aviator; 04-01-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
"'tis only a flesh wound!"

less hurting yourself and more working on the turbo...
and pics of what you have...
Old 04-01-2009, 05:52 AM

Regarding the hand wound, here's a good one to try..

You were out in the Pacific about 100mi offshore in a rowboat and a cruise ship came by and became capsized after hitting the Loch-Ness monster. You rescued as many of those that you could see on the surface and then got into melee combat with the Loch-Ness to release the 80yo grandmother.

Oh, and you ran the corkscrew through your hand after getting back to shore with all of the survivors (you decided to celebrate with a bottle of wine).

Old 04-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

LMAO!
Any of those would be great!
But I'll just stick with the whats done is done and I obviously did it wrong theory....hopefully thats the last of that.
So getting back on track.
I have found a local hose and rubber supplier that has very reasonable prices on the materials I need. ... I hope to do SOMETHING...ANYTHING...soon....so freakin bored.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

A gf once cut her hand up pretty good on a twist off beer cap... her injury was very similar to yours...

she was'nt lame the bottle neck had a flaw and broke off...

Quick Reply: I think I have figured out a way to efficiently place a turbo on my 3vz