Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How are Cigarette lighters fused?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How are Cigarette lighters fused?

I was airing up my tire with my portable compressor the other day and suddenly it just quit. I thought that the compressor was toast but then realized later my cell charger wasn't working either. I lost power completly to the cigarette lighter. The fuse in the fusebox is good and I am getting power to the fuse at the box so it's someplace between the fusebox and the lighter itself. Is there some sort of internal fuse on the back of the lighter?? Just curious if it might be something simple like that before I start chasing wires.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
I was airing up my tire with my portable compressor the other day and suddenly it just quit. I thought that the compressor was toast but then realized later my cell charger wasn't working either. I lost power completly to the cigarette lighter. The fuse in the fusebox is good and I am getting power to the fuse at the box so it's someplace between the fusebox and the lighter itself. Is there some sort of internal fuse on the back of the lighter?? Just curious if it might be something simple like that before I start chasing wires.
Which fuse box did you test at? On my 87 4Runner the cig lighter fuse was inside next to the drivers left leg. I haven't torn into my 99's fuse system yet though, so maybe I'm no help

Erich
Old 01-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Ya that's the one I checked it's down there by the drivers side kickpanel. Seems weird it would cook something between the lighter and fusebox without blowing the fuse. If I remember correctly I think I tapped into that wire for the power to my indiglo gauges because I needed a wire that came on hot with the headlights. Maybe something came apart there.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a fuseable link on the back of the recepticle. I blew it myself once when using a compressor. You will have to take the dash apart to get to it and replace it with fuseable link wire avalible at auto parts stores.

Lamm
Old 01-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mine decided to explode apart on me, so i went down to radio shack, bought a replacement. i had to file down the plastic a little bit to get it to fit, but now i have the cig. lighter hot all the time.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
the black plastic part comes off just leaveing the round outlet. i actully have 3 of these wired in my truck. one in stock location, one above the fuse box for my gps, and one in the back. they are really nice to have.

Last edited by ToferUOP; 01-21-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yep, the fusible link beind the lighter can melt. Looks like a big lump of solder. Easy fix is just to solder the two ends of the fusible link together and wrap it in some heat shrink or electrical tape.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

Right on YT pulls through again. I was hoping that's all it was. I'll tear it apart tomorrow. Can't be driving without the GPS running...haha
Old 01-21-2006, 04:36 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
There is a fuseable link on the back of the recepticle. I blew it myself once when using a compressor. You will have to take the dash apart to get to it and replace it with fuseable link wire avalible at auto parts stores.

Lamm
Yep, mine quit and I installed a new one below, because I just didn't feel like taking the whole dash apart again, especially with the clinometer in there.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It happened to me to Joey with my '90 Extracab I had before the 4Runner.

I did the same as Roger suggested.
I put the two ends together and crimped them.

If you need more outlets too, try the extra outlets mod.
I have a write-up in the Tech section as well as a few others in there.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:46 PM
BAZ

not to hijack

My cell charger works but my actual lighter doesent get hot? My dads fj80 does this too. Not even if you hold it in.

Last edited by BAZ; 01-21-2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Well I tore into my dash today and pulled the lighter out. The fusible link was good. I have power at the wire that plugs onto the back of the lighter but the lighter doesn't get any juice. I took it clear apart and can't figure out why it won't work it all looks good. The ground wire is still connected. I guess I am just going to have to get a new one and try that. Anybody have any other ideas on stuff to check?
Old 01-22-2006, 08:56 PM

Did you try different things in the lighter socket? Lots of cigar plugs (male end) have a fuse in them.

Lamm
Old 09-11-2006, 07:23 PM

I melted my fusible link with an air compessor too.

I replaced the fusible link with copper wire. I hope this is not a problem? Does anybody know for sure if replacing the fusible link with copper wire is a problem?

I took the lighter out without taking the dash off. If you twist the internal metal part about 180 degrees the metal part will become loose and extend about half-way out. Then you twist again and the metal part will come out along with a plastic sleeve. Then just unplug the lighter. It's quite easy. It's easier to take out than to put back in though. If you look at it you will see a tab on the bottom and top which will dictate how it goes back together. It took me about 10 minutes to figure it and to get it back in. I'm sure a seasoned pro could do it 5 seconds.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
No problem w/o the fusible link, there is still the fuse in the circuit. The link is probably there in case the lighter stays on and gets too hot. If you primarily use the lighter socket for aux. power, then no link is fine. I just re-powered mine off the battery (fused) so I have constant 12 volts.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
Did you try different things in the lighter socket? Lots of cigar plugs (male end) have a fuse in them.

Lamm
yep you might want to unscrew the end cap on the plug and see if that fuse is still good. It sounds as though thats not the issue since 2 different things didnt work, but it takes all of 10 seconds and is worth a try
Old 09-12-2006, 06:11 AM

I googled this topic and found this: "Cigarette lighter connectors can only handle about 150 watts. More than that can blow your fusible link or melt the plug! For anything heavier, use an appropriate cable of gauge, good battery clips, and an inline DC fuse or breaker that will handle the expected startup surge."

There is quite a bit of info on this topic through google so, I won't repost all of it.

These little air compressors seem to be faulty in that their power requirements exceed that of their type of electrical connection.

And, just in case anybody missed it. . . you don't have to remove the dash to remove the lighter
Old 09-12-2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by creekfisher
Does anybody know for sure if replacing the fusible link with copper wire is a problem?
ive done it w/o issues.
be sure that the gauge(size) of the wire is similiar or smaller to the fusible link, or it wont work as intended.