Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Engine wizards, please look at my engine. Pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dcg9381
The rockers can be resurfaced by a machine shop.
Maybe. The problem is that simply grinding them smooth again may not be enough. I believe that the face is hardened. If you grind them, you remove the hardened surface.

I don't know how toyota finishes the face on the rockers. But I do know that it's critical that it be correct or bad things happen. (I can post pictures from my experience with improper rocker finish. It cost $400 in parts to fix.)
Old 12-28-2006, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going to go through the trouble of rebuilding/replacing the whole top end, then there really isn't any reason not to go ahead and rebuild the lower end too, or at least the main components. The motor is already out of the truck and mostly ripped apart. Honing the cylinders is free, the pistons are obviously still good so you could reuse them. Rings and bearings are realatively cheap. And there shouldn't be any real machining needed on the block since the motor didn't blow.

Like you already said, talk to Ted at engnbldr. He's a good guy and is very helpful.

Also make sure you use new head bolts.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for talking to Ted (engnbldr) - he'll set you straight on what to do with your valvetrain and you can weigh working with OEM rockers or going to a new set of aftermarket rockers... Make sure you ask his opinion of the aftermarket rocker assemblies.. :-)

Rebuilding the bottom end isn't what's mentioned above.. If you're going to just hone it and throw new bearings in there, don't bother... If you want to rebuild it right, it may need to be bored, the crank may need to be turned (polished for sure) and it will cost you some money... Course, doing the entire motor correctly and adding a decent timing chain, you'll be ready for another 150k miles without even thinking about any major work on it.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:18 AM

Since you have the Engine Torn apart anyway. May was well spend a little extra cash and have the Cylinders bored out a little say .020 install new pistions and rings.

My rebuild was all from Ted at engine Builder.

Pistons (I went .040)
Rings and bearings,
Oil Pump, Waterpump
Timing chain with Steel Guide.
Timing Chain Cover,
Complete master gasket Kit. including Head Gasket
Head Bolts

Heres a Pic with everything but the Pistons and rings (Decided to replace those after I bought all this stuff)

Ted will not steer you wrong. and his stuff is the best I've seen around.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:26 AM

I agree that a "complete rebuild" does involve more than I mentioned but I have seen many low budget rebuilds last many years under normal use done like that.

All you have to do to determine if it needs to be bored is take some accurate measurements to make sure the cylinders are still round and within spec according to the FSM and make sure you have no scores in the cylinder walls. If everything checks out, then only honing is necessary.

If the crank is still in good condition, why machine it? I don't disagree that this is a good step if your crank is bad or if you are building a high output motor. However, I've seen too many bad machining jobs to just automatically send one to the machinest if it is still well within spec. Again, accurate measurments will tell you if your crank and journals are within spec. If it hasn't spun a bearing, the crank is likely just fine.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:31 AM

4 hummer. I used the master rebuild kit from Ted which included the pistons and rings. I did not get a new timing cover though because mine was still OK. I think I paid around $380 for everything including shipping and new head bolts.

Ted was extremely helpful and the parts were definately top notch. I wouldn't do anything until I talked to him.

What you buy will be determined by what you want out of the engine.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:58 AM

I appreciate all the feedback/comments.

I will be talking to Ted once he gets back on vacation about where I need to go with this engine project. I plan on keeping the truck for a long time, and as long as I own it, it will see very easy use. It won't be driven in a Michigan winter, driven thru the salt, it won't be taken out in the mud, abused, etc.

Most of you folks here will just be shaking your heads on how I will be using my truck. That's ok. I simply liked the looks of the 1st generation 4runner, so, I bought it. The truck won't be doing what it was designed to do.......simply bang around town and the occassional two tracking.

Anyway, gotta run. Can't wait for Ted to get back from his vacation!! And thanks again.

vmax84
Old 12-28-2006, 12:01 PM

What I'm trying to weigh out is how far do I go with this whole thing. By the time I get done purchasing all the parts from Ted, I could have a complete engine from Orient sitting in my pole barn, ready to install.

I do enjoy working on the 4runner. I am pretty slow when it comes to turning a wrench, and, my time is somewhat limited having a wife and kids, etc.

I do wonder what type of components Orient uses in their engine (what kind of cam, head, etc.).

vmax84
Old 12-28-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by vmax84
What I'm trying to weigh out is how far do I go with this whole thing. By the time I get done purchasing all the parts from Ted, I could have a complete engine from Orient sitting in my pole barn, ready to install.
Ted's "master" rebuild kit is $219. That's pretty much everything you need.

Total machine work - worst case - shouldn't cost you more than $700 or so.. Thats fully balanced, cutting the crank, boring the block, surfacing the head, blah blah. Most of the time it will cost you less.

I think you're still into it for less than an Orient motor, especially if you consider the cost of shipping and the cost of returning a core.

I don't have any experience with orient directly, but I do know that the reman in my 1981 failed (rings) after 75k miles.

Teds stuff has been great... With an older rig, one way or another you're going to learn how to work on it - an engine rebuild is a great way to get it all figured out.