Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Anti Freeze spilled on 91 4 runner engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti Freeze spilled on 91 4 runner engine

My son took his 91 4 Runner to an oil change place for a radiator flush and oil change. When the technician disconnected the upper hose, he spilled the old coolant all over the front of the engine. When the service was completed, he started the truck but it stalled after 20 seconds. They determined that there was no spark, and helped my son push it out of the bay, insisting that it was not their problem. They did give him $5 off his $135 bill for any incinvenience.

He had the truck towed to a local AMCO transmission shop, and they think it might be the distributor.($560)!

Any ideas on what might have happened. The truck had been running perfectly for the last 2 years and is very well maintained.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would hands down go to that shop and get them to PAY. I wouldn't have even taken the truck back until they fixed it, but since that is no longer an option I would definitely talk face-to-face with the owner.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to yotatech ... they should fix it as it was there fault any pics ?
Old 11-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

The spilled antifreeze on the distributor then the truck wouldn't start and they said it wasn't their fault?

I'd be dropping a poopstorm down on them if I were you.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by printing
My son took his 91 4 Runner to an oil change place for a radiator flush and oil change. When the technician disconnected the upper hose, he spilled the old coolant all over the front of the engine. When the service was completed, he started the truck but it stalled after 20 seconds. They determined that there was no spark, and helped my son push it out of the bay, insisting that it was not their problem. They did give him $5 off his $135 bill for any incinvenience.

He had the truck towed to a local AMCO transmission shop, and they think it might be the distributor.($560)!

Any ideas on what might have happened. The truck had been running perfectly for the last 2 years and is very well maintained.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
I agree. bastard mechanics However, worst case scenario, you could put a new distributor in yourself for about $100 +/-. Just pay attention to which way the contactor is facing on the old one when you take it out & make sure the new one is pointing the same way when it seats (the splines will make it turn a few degrees from where it sits when you insert it). You'll have to recheck your timing, but that's easy as well. Good luck & keep us updated!!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

There is no way I would have taken that truck back when it didn't run, I had the same thing happen a few years ago when I had a tranny rebuilt, they ruined my distributor. I would have a serious talk with that shop, and even get a lawyer to write a nasty letter, you would be surprised what that will accomplish, its a minimal cost for the lawyers time to write a letter, and then the shop will know you are SERIOUS. It works. Good luck. Keep us updated.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
welcome to yotatech ... they should fix it as it was there fault any pics ?

So far the oil change guys are saying they didn't do anything wrong, it is just a coincidence that whatever failed did so at the time they were workinng on it. The shop he had it towed to is suggesting to just put in the distributor to see if it will work.

Does anyone know specifically what could be affected by old coolant spilled on the engine. I thought the distributor and other electrical components were pretty well sealed.
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2006, 12:46 PM

just check the cap and rotor. probably got in there an fouled it up. and since antifreeze doesn't evaporate too well it won't dry off as if you are at the carwash