Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

new motor still not running right

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new motor still not running right

Hello. I was looking for some insight regarding an '86 with an new motor. I previously had a cracked block. So I had my friend put in a new 22r, and he also replaced the carb with one he bought from a friend. I drove it 2 hrs back home and performance was ok. I sometimes seemed to feel like something was dropping or slipping at about 50 mph. So I had a new clutch installed. From the beginning when the car sat for more than a few hours it had a hell of a time starting. Most of time I was required to put gas in the carb. to get it going and then it took a lot of warming up, or else it completely would bog out. I just got home from a wk trip and I was told my a family member that the car was making noises that were similar to someone with indigestion while it was just parked. I cant confirm the noises for I have not heard them yet. When I started it today i wound up getting gas out of the tailpipe sprayed on the garage concrete. I also had to put gas in the carb to start it and it still was bogging out. (noted the cat was hallowed out by a mechanics shop, for it was only 3wks old. and was already completely clogged). Also I havent driven more than 400 miles and its burning oil like crazy. Ive already had to put an additional 3 qrts in. Can anyone make sense of this b/c Ive had it with this truck to the point where i almost want to sell it and buy a cheap import car just for the fact I cant afford the frustration or the financial burden. Ive always have been told toyotas were some of the best trucks out there, and always enjoyed my friends in school however my old gmc with 215k miles proved to be much more reliable, go figure. Anyways Im in the Sacramento area so please give a holler if you know anyone who really knows these trucks well.. thank you.