Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

another key question!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another key question!

so since everyone is having key problems, i thought id ask my key question too:

my truck came with one key. it works in the ignition but is a little sticky... and it doesnt even fit in any of my lock cylinders (doors or tailgate) itll open the cylinder flap but wont go in passed the flap. has anyone else had any experience with this?? its making it problematic to fix the rear window since i cant test the key slot, and also, i cant leave anything in the 4runner because i cant lock the doors... and its a pain to get into the back by climbing over the seat!

any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:17 PM

I would take it to a locksmith and see what they can do about it. Im sure it wouldnt cost too much. Might even be cheaper if you remove the lock cylinders and bring them when you go
Old 03-24-2011, 05:26 PM

sounds like the ignition was replaced and the door and tailgate locks werent. this would explain why it only works in the ignition. you will most likely need to have a separate key made for the other locks, or replace them to match the ignition key.

to make the key stick less in the ignition just squirt a small amount of wd-40 or di-electric lube into the key slot and work the cylinder around a few times
Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 PM

good call on the locks being swapped out... ill make some calls tomorrow morning. thanks!

and you know... that makes sense... my key says "fits tracker" on it haha

Last edited by acousticrawk; 03-24-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I have a sugestion on locking your rig. The drivers door of my runner is a different lock than the rest of them (doors from another truck) So I lock all the doors and leave the slider window behind the drivers seat unlocked, so I can slide it open and reach in and unlock it. The window still looks closed.

Or I could walk around and unlock the pass and climb through to unlock it, but thats alot of work.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Go to the dealer, give them your vin#. Ask for the key code to the rig, either have them make you a new key or take the key code to the locksmith and have them make you one. The dealer should have blanks they can sell you or be able to order them. if the key only works in the ignition i'd be willing to bet the doors and tailgate are the same and original. If they are original then the key code will work.

Last edited by mightymouse; 03-24-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by RE-RE
I have a sugestion on locking your rig. The drivers door of my runner is a different lock than the rest of them (doors from another truck) So I lock all the doors and leave the slider window behind the drivers seat unlocked, so I can slide it open and reach in and unlock it. The window still looks closed.

Or I could walk around and unlock the pass and climb through to unlock it, but thats alot of work.
this is a great idea for the time being! especially since my slider doesnt even lock! haha. good call thanks! ill be doing this for sure... im going to toyota next week.. but ive searched a lot and it seems 1990 is the cut off for the key code search.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM

I owned a 1990 toyota pickup and yes they can do it for them as i have done it for my old rig last year. First hand experience for ya, better than a web wheelers opinion.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
New lock cylinders are pretty inexpensive, and you can get it coded to your existing key. When I bought my Pickup, the driver's side lock had been replaced with one from a junkyard. After a year and a half of using two keys (one for driver's door, other for ignition and passenger's door) I went to my local dealer and just ordered a new cylinder for the driver's side door.

One key, super smooth in comparison to the passenger lock which is original, and just overall awesome. Made me smile for a good month.

By the way- I hate keys. The fewer keys on my ring the better!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:54 PM

or are you saying that any rig before 1990 is not an option? If so i don't know. Doesn't hurt to check. And as mentioned you could replace the cylinder and rekey the rig if need be.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
There would be a problem.

Since the ignition key does not fit in the door cylinders you can`t rekey the door cylinders to fit the ignition.

You will be stuck with 2 keys unless you swap out the ignition cylinder to one that the keys fit the door cylinders.

Try the key out of a new ignition cylinder before you buy to make sure they fit.

Then pull your door cylinders and have them rekeyed to fit the new ignition key then all your lock cylinders have new pins and should give years of service.

It is much cheaper to pull your own cylinders then to have them pulled by the locksmith
Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 PM

I got a single key with my truck. Worked in the driver door, sometimes the ignition, sometimes the gas cap. It was a real pita.

Drove over to the dealer, gave em my vin, and they cut me a new key. All of a sudden I could open all the doors, the gas cap, and the ignition turned too! Imagine that. After 20 years or so, I guess keys wear out.... Little bit of powdered graphite all around and stuff is turning like new.

Food for thought
Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

pull the pass side door lock assy. key code is stamped on it. take to your local dealer and have a key cut for under five dollars. or just pm me the code and i will cut one and mail it to you.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by toyotaPmanager
pull the pass side door lock assy. key code is stamped on it. take to your local dealer and have a key cut for under five dollars. or just pm me the code and i will cut one and mail it to you.
im going to pull the code today if it breaks 40 degrees. its way to cold out to do anything.