84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Starting leaf spring swap this weekend, and I've got a couple questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starting leaf spring swap this weekend, and I've got a couple questions...

Edit: Updated with pics of the finished product at the bottom!

Howdy, ya'll!

I'm going to swap my leaf springs (EDIT: in my 4runner) this weekend with the longer ones that pretty much all the vendors sell, and I've got a couple questions about the install. Here's a link for reference...

Front: http://www.wabfab.org/Leaf-Springs/F...ypage.tpl.html
Rear: http://www.wabfab.org/Leaf-Springs/R...ypage.tpl.html

Also, they are the 3 inch lift, in case that makes a difference.

So, on to the questions... I've been looking around without luck, so if anyone has a link to an actual write-up for installing this kit, you'll be my hero simply by posting a link!

The front seems to be a bolt on part and will use shakles to compensate for the extra length. I've got a couple different shackle lengths to try and find an optimal height.

The rears will require relocation of of both sets of mounting brackets since the springs are much longer than stock. I'm assuming that I would relocate the rear hangers as far back as they'll go on the frame, make sure my axle hasn't moved, again use a shackle to compensate for the over hang, and then just mark the fronts and weld them in place... Is this the recommended method?

And now for the stupid question: Do they need to be under any load for proper installation? I would assume not, but I've lost the assumption bet before. As always, your help is most appreciated!

PS: Has anyone relocated the rear mount by the gas tank without removing the tank? If so, any tips? I really don't want to pull it if there's another way.

Last edited by frankryzzo; 06-18-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remove the tank, its easier. Along with the bed...

Instructions come with the kit and it tells you dimensions based off the existing OE brackets.

And I may be wrong, but I believe the front springs, front hanger has to be relocated as well. It says "Not an OE replacement". Not positive though since I haven't done my fronts yet.

Last edited by rokblok; 04-17-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 PM

Sorry, I always forget to mention, but I have a 4runner so removing the bed isn't an option.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 AM

I'll have to check the packaging when I get home, but I don't think were any instructions provided as this isn't actually a kit. I bought the springs, hangers, and brackets all separately. I don't know that there is any real way to relocate the front shackle mounts without drilling the frame, and everything I've been able to find indicates that the shackle will compensate for the extra length of the leaf spring but just at a sharper angle than stock. When I measured it all out, it seems like they should just bolt on. It seem like its just the rears that will require relocation of the mounting hardware.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gotcha. Hopefully it'll bolt in, and let us know how it turns out to maybe help the next fellow.

I have 4" rears and my OE hangers are gone now, but I will help where I can, when I can. Been working so much, and I haven't been driving my truck hardly at all.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 AM

So how did it turn out. I am about to do a swap and I am also looking for some pointers!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:28 PM

I pushed the springs back a bit while i regeared the transfer case, but I'm most of the way through it now...

Front springs are done and installed. They bolted in, but there is an issue... a major one! They are 3 inch lift springs, but I'm not sure how they measure the lift because it seems like way more than 3 inches. Not complaining because the stance is very aggressive and looks great, but even though they are the same length as the ones I took out, the pin is about 1.5" closer to the front, so the axle had to be shifted forward a bit. This would be great if my drive shaft was long enough... I'm having the shaft lengthened and rebalanced next week.

Got the rears hangers cut out last night and it seems like the rear springs will have the same deceiving issue with the new ride height, especially because of having to relocate the hangers. The rear hanger isn't bad at the back of the frame and just has to go back slightly, but the front hanger will get welded in basically the full hanger's length forward on the frame as it slopes down, so I'm getting extra lift since the mounting bracket is starting at a lower point. This will be coupled with a slightly longer shackle to avoid drastically changing the pinion angle.

I'm going to get it all tached and mocked up tonight so that i can throw the wheels on and set it on the ground to check the rear drive shaft for fitment, so I'll know soon enough if I need 2 shafts worked on or just the front.

Initial thoughts... I like the new stance a lot (at least of what I've seen in the front). Some will say it's too high for 33's, but I'm cool with it for now and they still have to settle a bit as they get worked in, so we'll see. I love that the front axle is further forward so bumping up to a ledge will be easier to get the rubber on the rocks for climbing. What I thought would be a 3' lift is closer to a 6" lift... not sure how I feel about this yet. Taking it up to Rausch next week and my toy drives itself, so we'll see how it handles highway and trails. My guess is that most of the flexing will be through up travel now since the axles are much lower and can't drop much on either sides due to the shocks, and I'm also not sure how that will pan out either yet. Laos, I'll need to lengthen the ebrake cable, but that's no big deal.

There will be an update on this soon with pics!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:06 PM

Well sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I have IFS so I am only doing the rear. I got Skyjacker springs because they didn't require relocating the hangers. It is only 4 inches though according to them. They would be in already but when the parts got in on Thursday Summit decided to send me a leaf spring for a land cruiser... Thanks Summit. I returned it and ordered from Amazon. It will be here tomorrow, but I will probably have to wait until the weekend to install most likely :/

Thanks for the update man! Sounds like maybe you should just get bigger tires Why not right? lol
Old 06-12-2013, 04:50 PM

Angry

HOLY CRAP! I can not remove the front hanger bolts! I have got the nuts out but the bolts just spin and spin and wont budge. I have beat them with a hammer. I have heated them up with a torch and put the impact gun to them. i have cut the head off one and hammered it the other way and it still wont budge. apparently the bushings are permanently joined to the damn bolt inside the leaf spring. Does anyone have a suggestion? I am losing my mind!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 PM

Had the same problem, but i soaked them in penetrating oil and beat them out. I threaded on the nut so i didn't mess up the threads and hit it with a small maul until it came loose, then tapped it flush with the maul, and finished it with driving it out with another bolt. The hanger bolt was really rusted. I had to clean it up with a wire wheel and then greased the hell out of it before it went back in.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:10 AM

I ended up burning out the bushing on the driver side and cutting the head off with an angle grinder.it was no joke. When i finally got what was left of the bolt out the bushing sleeve was pretty much welded to the bolt and that is what was keeping me from getting it out. i reckon 26 year old hardware that spend alot of its like in Arkansas mountain country will have that kind of problem lol. The other side is gonna be tougher since the gas tank is there and I dont feel like dropping it, it is almost full.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 AM

The other side is gonna be tougher since the gas tank is there and I dont feel like dropping it, it is almost full.
...boom

Last edited by Stetson_md; 06-14-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 PM

The gas tank should have a drain plug in it. Drain the fuel and drop the tank...it's a lot easier. I had the same problems; lots of salt used up here in Canada.

Cut each end of the bolt flush with the bracket, bend the bracket slightly out on each side, and the spring drops out with the bolt still frozen in the bushing.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:44 PM

That is exactly what I ended up doing yesterday. You obviously have felt my pain before. Well everything is removed and since I only though about 4 set of bushings I am waiting on a new set for my hanger. Since I had the extra downtime I cleaned up the brackets and got replacement hardware. I also sanded all the rust off and painted the gas tank rock guard, brackets, bumpstops and hanger brackets. As soon as I get those bushings it will be good to go! Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. Definetly has helped me stay calm.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 AM

Got everything installed and tested it all out at Rausch Creek over the weekend. I really like the new setup. The flex was amazing and the truck seemed much more stable on and offroad without the worn out old springs. Here are some pics as promised...

Name:  downsized_0615031722.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  downsized_0615031721.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  cp1_0615031721a.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  downsized_0615031721b.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  75.5 KB

As you can see, the stance is a little longer now with the front axle going forward a couple inches. Please ignore the cancer... I'm getting replacement panels for the rear fenders and rocker panels as soon as I can, but it was more important to get the truck functional than pretty.

Last edited by frankryzzo; 06-18-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:19 PM

Glad you got it worked out man. I am doing mine in a few hours, last parts came on, just waiting to get off work! That is a sweet looking runner! Eh I have a good bit of rust myself but that is on the backburner. Being purdy is the last priority for trucks with me. If I wanted a pretty truck I would have one of those fancy new ones that never leave the pavement Enjoy it bud!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:15 PM

Good looking 4runner!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:22 PM

Thanx!

Here's a pic of the old ride height for comparison...

Name:  downsized_0122021222.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  52.6 KB
Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 PM

Here is my write up on my spring install guys. http://https://www.yotatech.com/foru.../#post52088393