Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Old Man Emu leaf springs/shackle on 91 truck?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Man Emu leaf springs/shackle on 91 truck?

Anyone put these on? In my rebuild and thinking about dropping new leafs on. Apparently I can only use CS019R or the heavy duty CS020R. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the 19R because I had the HD skyjackers on my truck and it was miserable riding around on the road.

My question is for the rear shackle and bushings. They don't offer a zerk'd shackle for this truck. I know Trail Gear offers some (which would be great with the 5" to boost me up a bit, I have a 3" lift and the OME springs are only for a 1.75" lift... Was going to add a leaf to get me to 2.25") but both bolts are 18mm whereas stock Yota is 18mm on the frame and then 14mm with a bushing through the spring (I think). OME rep told me to just reuse my old shackle but I'm trying to go the zerk'd route.

Anyone do any conversions, use TG shackle kit on OME springs, or know of any greasable shackles that are stock for my 1991 pickup?
Old 06-30-2015, 01:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I have a 93 xcab that I put OME leafs on about 5yrs ago. I used the medium duty (19r) and kept my stock shackles because I wasn't sure about the height, since nobody could give me a straight answer regarding the resulting height of an OME lifted truck. Kinda glad I kept stock shackles, at least in the beginning, since the truck was significantly higher than it was with saggy butt - like 4"+!!!

After it all settled the height was perfect, but then I added 33x12.5s and had to raise the front slightly. I also did a ubolt flip, triangulated my rear shocks, and removed the rear bump stop - so now the tire barely kisses the rear fender at full stuff. My ride height is 22.5" on all 4 corners, from center of axle to bottom of the fenders - so I guess that's level or ever so slightly raked forward (since I think the fenders are different heights like the previous gen trucks, but not quite as much difference). In regards to new shackles, I think I'm finally ready to get some - but not very long because I want to only be maybe 0.5-1" higher in rear, just to clear the tires at full stuff and to keep more level bed when I have over 1000lbs loaded up.

There are LOTS of vendors who sell shackle kits with metric hardware - look at all the vendors for aftermarket toyota parts, they should all carry them. Not all of them are gun-drilled and tapped for the grease fitting. I'm not really sold on the idea personally. To me, the void makes them weaker than the equivalent unmolested bolt. Sure its more convenient to grease it up, but its not hard to pull the bolt to grease it you'll do a much better job of inspecting everything and making sure it's all ok - like observing the condition of the bushings. Can't say I've even greased the shackles again since install and everything seems fine to me. maybe with heavy articulation use, grease works it way outward more frequently than a street driven vehicle.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:15 AM

Thanks highon! Alot of great info. What kind of a lift did you have on your truck before you put those 19r OME springs on? I was thinking 1.75" wouldn't be enough for my 3" but your making it sound like they'll work perfect even without the added leaf.

I'm lazy so that's why I'm looking for the zerked shackle bolts With my last set I just left em as is. Bushings weren't in terrible shape but the sleeve is rusted onto the bolt now. I figured I could take a 10 minute job and turn it into a 10 second job

I talked to the ARB guy yesterday and he said the leaf spring eyelet is 30mm which is the same as the skyjacker springs I had. I assume they're OME direct replacements so I could probably just use a different vendors bushings. If this is the case I think that sleeve is 18mm so I could probably just use one of those 18mm zerked bolts and call it good. Maybe I'll just drill out my stock shackles instead of spending $90
Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 AM

I didn't have any lift before the OME stuff went on, it was saggy stock suspension and stock shocks with 31" michelins. I installed the OME leafs, 4 shocks, stabilizer, and ubolts. I also added bj spacers, an IFS truss, rebuilt some of my steering parts, and swapped in some 4.88 differentials. About 2yrs later I got some 33x12.5 Toyo MTs and needed to adjust for the width of the tire - which is why I plan to get longer shackles...but it's been a few years and has been fine.

yes, the OME bushings are equivalent of all the other brands - it's kind of a universal size. i'm fairly certain all the shackle kits have the same size bolts on both ends, so perhaps everyone is ditching the sleeve when they use them? might want to look into that.

for the shackles, your cheapest option is either find some used or make them yourself. I've seen people cut/extend the stock shackles, but not so sure it's the smartest decision for such an important part of the suspension that you don't want failing.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:42 AM

Thanks again highon! I'm thinking I'm gonna buy these and just build some custom shackles out of flat stock laying around and put in a .375" spacer to get the extra lift.... Bolts and spacers should be all I need to buy... Hopefully save $50 this way.

Last question... How do those springs ride? I know our trucks aren't caddies but it'd be nice to get a softer rear end when I'm driving around.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:00 AM

I'm not clear on what "spacer" you're looking to get with shackles - for the width difference? All you need for lift is longer shackles - stock are 3.5" eye to eye. For every 1" lift, you need 2" longer shackles. You can easily make your own - just get some 3/8" flat stock, mark and drill your holes, buy new bolts. Keep in mind that the shackles for our trucks aren't straight/parallel - the spring width is less than the hanger width, so you'll either need to bend the plates or add a spacer. spacer is easier, it can be a piece of flat stock drilled and welded on, a solid spacer, multiple washers, etc. you can also buy individual shackle parts - some vendors sell them this way.

In terms of ride I think it's fine. Definitely a truck still like it should be. Initially the ride was rough because they weren't broken in. I removed my front swaybar to compensate and found the ride to be much much better and didn't even notice it was gone, even on curvy roads. Taking it off definitely helped front articulation too and less tire lifting. Triangulating my rear shocks also helped a lot in softening up the rear, previous the shocks limited down travel in stock location (OME shocks). I think the only "soft" riding leafs are the stock worn out ones or a chevy leaf swap - but soft is no good for hauling stuff in the bed.

Last edited by highonpottery; 07-02-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:08 AM

btw, here's a pic of my resulting height after it's all settled in. 22.5" from center axles to bottom of fenders, all 4 corners:
Name:  0733a59e.jpg
Views: 5923
Size:  174.9 KB

here's the setup with 31" tires and a load in the back (crates are empty, so not too much weight):
Name:  569733ae.jpg
Views: 5541
Size:  135.5 KB
empty:
Name:  DSC_0376.jpg
Views: 5090
Size:  117.1 KB
Old 07-15-2015, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
I'm not clear on what "spacer" you're looking to get with shackles - for the width difference?
Sorry for the delay highon... Been MIA with holiday and work but your correct in your assumption. I tend to lump everything together and am not always clear. I was just talking about the spacer for the width difference and a longer shackle for the actual lift.

Pics look great too! I ended up ordering them and they're waiting to get put in. I wished the springs were a bit longer though but oh well. My old skyjackers were roughly 47" eye to eye and that's almost what these are. The angle on my old springs was pretty shotty...

Name:  IMG_0583.jpg
Views: 5512
Size:  319.4 KB
Old 07-15-2015, 04:17 PM

well they're made for a stock truck's mounting points, so I dunno what to say. I'd be more worried about that rust I see in the pic! I can try and snap some pics of my shackle angle if you like. Stock shackle bolts are simply pressed in, with splines.
BTW - wtf is that clamp in the picture? some sort of hydraulic c-clamp?
Old 07-17-2015, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
well they're made for a stock truck's mounting points, so I dunno what to say. I'd be more worried about that rust I see in the pic! I can try and snap some pics of my shackle angle if you like. Stock shackle bolts are simply pressed in, with splines.
BTW - wtf is that clamp in the picture? some sort of hydraulic c-clamp?

No I know it's stock... Just a talking point is all. Be nice for a little extra length is all.

Rust... what rust? Actually I'm in the process of rebuilding. Made a thread for the process but here's my frame blasted... Had a mishap with paint so gonna reblast and reshoot. The clamp in the pic is a ground for the welder. I had to cut the tube cross member out and weld a new one in it's place. Began rusting through in a spot... You can see the old one laying on the ground in the pic from below

Name:  IMG_0624.jpg
Views: 4929
Size:  332.6 KB

Last edited by duckhead; 07-17-2015 at 04:46 AM.