84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Starting Issues? Try this...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting Issues? Try this...

The 4Runner has had a similar, intermittent starting issues that my old Celica use to have; so got a relay wired in for it.

Here is the old diagram that I used for the Celica; same goes for the 4Runner:

Name:  starterrelaydiagram_zps0606ef1a.jpg
Views: 6936
Size:  22.9 KB

So following that diagram; I set to work.

I don't have a soldering iron; so I used solderless crimp connectors and shrink tubing that has an adhesive lining inside that melts when heated. It creates a waterproof seal.

After measuring, cutting, crimping, and shrink tubing; here are the 4 wires I ended up with:

Name:  relay_zps17ee57f3.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  77.3 KB

Wire 1: This wire connects to pin "86" on your relay using a female connector. The other end connects to the "ignition side of the starter wire". Meaning, when you disconnect the little brown plug from the starter; Wire 1 connects directly to the plug using a male connector.

Wire 2: This wire connects to pin "85". This is your ground wire. Connect this to a bolt close to your relay. I used an existing bolt that is used for another ground wire.

Wire 3: This wire connects to pin "87". This is your 12V power source (directly from battery). It is recommended that you wire in, an in-line fuse (30AMP). I wired in a mini 30AMP fuse holder, close to battery for easy access if need-be. I then connected it to the battery(+) using a spade connector.

Wire 4: This wire connects to pin "30". Once you have unplugged the brown connector on the starter (for Wire 1); you will then connect this wire to the starter using a male connector.

So now for some pictures. Here is what "Wire 1" looks like. The other wire running along side it is "Wire 4":

Name:  IMG_6381_zps72e0cb32.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  80.5 KB

Here is what the relay setup looks like. You can see "Wire 2" and how I just used an existing ground location:

Name:  IMG_6384_zpsb7f5e353.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  92.1 KB

This is how "Wire 3" is connected to the battery with its in-line, 30AMP fuse holder:

Name:  IMG_6372_zpsec88d043.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  76.4 KB

This may or may not solve your issues; but it's worth a shot. I've had mine wired in for about a week now and haven't had any issues. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by REVenge; 03-27-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only the first pic works for me... Thought I'd let you know
Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 PM

Blah, thought so. I gotta re-upload the others using a different site (same as first). I'll get it fixed asap
Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
For flicker click "share" then "html/bbcode" then select "bbcode" and it'll work.

Then if you choose to edit out the stuff thats not between the IMG tags
Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
For flicker click "share" then "html/bbcode" then select "bbcode" and it'll work.

Then if you choose to edit out the stuff thats not between the IMG tags
I tried to get the flickr pictures to work but I have now uploaded them using photobucket. Thanks for the tip though; I'll know for next time

So pictures in original post should work now
Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 AM

Excellent write up!

I'm curious as to what the issue was that this fixes? I've had a few 4runners, and the only starter issue I've had has been worn out contacts in the starter which requires a rebuild. I think that if I started having intermittent issue I would just assume its the contacts and pull it out to replace them. If you could elaborate on the symptoms you were experiencing, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM

interesting,

FWIW 30 is supposed to be the battery (+) and 87(normaly open) and 87a (normaly closed) are the outputs.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by frankryzzo
Excellent write up!

I'm curious as to what the issue was that this fixes? I've had a few 4runners, and the only starter issue I've had has been worn out contacts in the starter which requires a rebuild. I think that if I started having intermittent issue I would just assume its the contacts and pull it out to replace them. If you could elaborate on the symptoms you were experiencing, it would be greatly appreciated.
Sure, I'll elaborate on the issues this fixes.

If you've had issues where when you turn the key and nothing happens, the starter just clicks or a long delay from when you've turned the key to when it actually starts; this will usually fix it. Usually when this happens; you will hear the Circuit Opening Relay click, but the vehicle won't start. From what I've learned. The 20+ year old wire that runs from the ignition to the starter gets frail over time and doesn't supply a strong enough current to get the starter to turn over. Will this mod, the starter gets a DIRECT 12V power source from the battery. I also recommend a thicker (over stock) gauge of wire too; I used 12 gauge.

On my old Celica for example. The previous owner replaced the starter with a new one from Toyota; and it still didn't fix the issue. I believe it worked for a little while then the issue returned where when he turned the key nothing would happen. Had to resort to bump starting the car. When I purchased the car; I did this mod the same week. I never once had an issue with the car not starting. I owned it for about 2.5 years.

Does this make more sense?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by toyquad
interesting,

FWIW 30 is supposed to be the battery (+) and 87(normaly open) and 87a (normaly closed) are the outputs.
I wonder if you're talking about a different relay type? The relay I used doesn't have 87a; only has 4 pins. This was the diagram I used and was told how to wire it.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:57 PM

It will work this way, but if someone else was trying to diagnose a problem with your set up they would be scratching thier head.

4 and 5 pin relays function and are wired the same. the 5 pin relay has an extra circuit (87a)

whoever told you to wire it this way doesnt know the proper way to wire it.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 PM

It will work this way, but if someone else was trying to diagnose a problem with your set up they would be scratching thier head.

4 and 5 pin relays function and are wired the same. the 5 pin relay has an extra circuit (87a)

whoever told you to wire it this way doesnt know the proper way to wire it.
Hmm I see. Next time I'm at the parts store I'll see if I can find a 5 pin relay. Only ones I was able to find were 4 pin. I guess for me anyway; since it works I'm happy
Old 03-28-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
standards smanders
ISO starts on page 8. http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf
Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Yes, Best to wire it the "Standard Way"

REVenge,
Good write-up. Would surely help those whose trucks do not have the starter relay.

I'm guessing that your Runner is pre-mid 86, that's why it does not have a starter relay? Mid-86s and later have the relay.

It will work this way, but if someone else was trying to diagnose a problem with your set up they would be scratching thier head. 4 and 5 pin relays function and are wired the same. the 5 pin relay has an extra circuit (87a) whoever told you to wire it this way doesnt know the proper way to wire it.
Agree with toyquad if we are to wire it the clean. Don't we just hate it when we see the sloppy ways previous owners did our trucks?

Originally Posted by REVenge
Hmm I see. Next time I'm at the parts store I'll see if I can find a 5 pin relay.
5th Pin is not needed for this application, your relay is fine.

A couple of details I might add...
This would be the more proper/conventional/standard wiring & terminology:

Pin 30 connects to power supply/fuse = Pin 30 connects to 30Amp fuse... see?

Connector below on wire coming from ignition switch (on REVenge year-model that does not have existing starter relay) will connect to pin 86:

Pin 87 will connect to starter solenoid power connector (male spade terminal down there):
Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 PM

Thanks RAD4Runner for adding in that extra info!! My 4Runner is an '85 so is did not come stock with a relay.