84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Removing rear shackles (85 4runner)...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing rear shackles (85 4runner)...

So I'm trying to swap out the stock shackles for some Downey cantilever's that i bought this Christmas and...

I can not get the stock shackles off.

i have the body of the truck supported on blocks and i removed the wheels so i could try and locate the point when the leaf springs are not under tension or compression... any tips for this???

i thought i had the spot and when i go to pound the shackle plate the bottom pin won't budge! The top pin slides out no problem but the bottom is fixed. I don't know if the springs are still exterting a force on the shackle which is binding the pin or what?

I have considered going to the nearest auto store and renting a steering kit for the pitman arm puller, i can rent it for free, and trying to push the bottom pin out. If all else fails i can cut it with an angle grinder but from looking at how shackles work i should be able to get it out!

Give me tips or how you got the shackles off thanks!!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
they are rusted into the bushing. You will likely need new bushings in the leaf spring, especially living in MN where they salt the roads.

That means you will have to cut it out of there as well.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:06 PM

you should be able to at least get the one side of the busing out of the spring eye with the shackle....if nothing else works try heat preferably a heat gun as flames will light the bushings on fire (smells bad lol) that should soften up the bushings and they should come out easier... but i would buy new bushings anyway because your there..
Old 12-31-2007, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
they are rusted into the bushing. You will likely need new bushings in the leaf spring, especially living in MN where they salt the roads.

That means you will have to cut it out of there as well.
Yeah i figured i will need new bushings (the diameter of the new shackles bolts are larger than stock). Eventually i will be going with the OME lift for this truck so i might just pick up those bushings( will the fit into the stock leaf eye's?).

Bleak: i have tried heat, though i only did it until they started to smoke, and yes it smelled awesome.

Thanks for the feedback, i'll get to cooking or cutting. Any tips for finding that magic load free point with leaf springs?

Matt
Old 12-31-2007, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I find that if I support the frame on jack stands then lower the rear axle down with a floor jack under the center I can find where there is no load on the shackles pretty easy. I had to work one of my shackles out, was able to get the shackle hanger end out pretty easy. Then with that end out, I could twist the other end out with time and liberal amounts of penetrating oil on the shackle pin. What happens is that you get rust on the pin in the center. The rust bonds to the rubber bushing and makes a big fat blob in the center. That won't pull out through the bushing. Lots of good penetrating oil will eventually soften the rubber to the point it will.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:37 PM

Well, i got'em.

I used a tie rod end puller or a pitman arm puller. Man those things are useful.

I was also able to salvage all the bushings, and i checked the diameter of the bushings are they are perfect for my new shackles.

Also when had the shackles off i sanded the area down and coated with rust penetrator. I'm in business. Thanks for the info guys!

Matt
Old 01-03-2008, 11:15 PM

How do you like the cantilevered shackles? According to the Downey literature they are supposed to improve highway ride 'dramatically'. Have you noticed any difference?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:40 AM
Contributing Member

Any info on the last question?