84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 22rec starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 22rec starting problems

Hey guys. I've been lurking yotatech for a while but this is my first official post. Up until now I haven't encountered a problem that I haven't been able to find an answer to in previous threads. Anyway here's my issue..

I've got an 85 4runner with a 22rec, manual tranny, about 185k on the odometer. 4 days ago it died as I backed out of a parking spot. When I turn the key to try to start it after that I can here the starter motor working but it's not turning the engine over. Instead I get the starter motor whir plus a slight grinding sound that's not very loud. I can turn the motor over manually so it's not seized and the flywheel doesn't seem to be worn too excessively. I inspected it while I turned the engine by hand. I also checked for play in the flywheel and there doesn't seem to be any.

I had a number of people insist that it was a bad starter. I strongly doubted it considering that it first died while it was running and I couldn't pop start it after words but I got a new one anyway (the one I had was under warranty so I got a new one for free). After installing the new starter the problem persists. The starter engages but it's not turning the engine over. I also checked the battery and all the conections to make sure the starter was getting enough power. Everything checked out ok. I guess my next step is to pull the transmission from the engine and visually inspect the flywheel/clutch etc. Before I went that far though, I thought I throw a post out and see if anyone can think of anything I've overlooked or know of anything else to check before getting into pulling the tranny.

Also, I had no indication of there being anything wrong with the truck before this happened but I did here a very slight metal ting for a few days before. It sounded a bit like a valve sticking. I have no tach in my truck but my best guess was that it was most noticeable when the rpms dropped from around 3k to 1500. Couldn't here it during acceleration or at idle.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 05-09-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you tried "bumping" the starter by jumpering 12v straight to the solenoid (the smaller guage wire on the starter)?

When you spin the engine over by the crankshaft pulley (front end) does the flywheel spin in the back?

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-09-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:01 PM

No I didn't try to bump the starter but after digging deeper I found that the starter is in fact turning the engine over but it's turning over with no resistance (i.e. no compression). Anyway, looks like one of my timing chain guides broke leading to a chain jump and subsequent loss of compression.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 PM

That is not a good sign. Can you tell how far the chain jumped?
The 22re is an 'interference' engine, meaning that if the cam is not operating properly, pistons can contact and bend valves.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 AM

It jumped 3 teeth. It definitely bent valves because after the timing was reset I still get no compression. The guy that i bought the truck from a couple years back claimed to have replaced the chain himself not long before I bought it. The condition of the actual chain would indicate that it was replaced but the knucklehead only put one chain guide back on. I thought at first that the missing guide may have broken off but it's no where to be found. I'm surprised it took this long to jump time.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:45 PM

wow. sorry to hear about it.
You'll be out almost as much money to fix the bent valves, regrind the seats, etc. as you would to get a ready-to-install head... so maybe contact engnbldr.com about a head with valves installed... and maybe get a upgraded cam too? and also get the metal-backed guides from them as well.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:00 AM

Yea that's what I was considering but due to my circumstances I may just see if I can sell the truck as-is.

Last edited by j.dunning; 05-17-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:20 PM

I would just get a complete head out of a junkyard. Wouldn't cost you much.