84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

1985 Chevota Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1985 Chevota Questions

Ive got a 1985 extended cab pickup with a SBC 350 in it. RUns like a top, however have a few knick knack problems I don't exactly know how to tackle, and could use some guidance. Ive used the search but haven't exactly come up with what I need. Thanks in advance for the help.

First off-Ive got that damn leaky hub issue. It is leaking diff grease on the front drivers side knuckle and making a damn mess! Is it the inner or outer seal? I am confused as to which one it may be, and how difficult it is to replace each one? Do I need any specialty tools/pullers?

Also, Ive got some more diff grease leaking in the back. I looked up a parts diagram, and it is the rear differential oil seal...It looks like it is right under that "cup" on the tail end of the diff where it bolts up to the driveshaft. How do I get that off and where do I find JUST the seal, Ive looked everywhere!!

Anyone know of a good place to get front steering components such as linkages, arms, etc? I am in dire need of an alignment but need to replace a few parts first.

ALso- what kind of shocks are a good replacement? Ive got a lift kit on my truck, and need some new shocks. ANy suggestions?

Oh, and my truck is a pic whore...so here u go
Attached Thumbnails 1985 Chevota Questions-truck1.jpg   1985 Chevota Questions-truck3.jpg   1985 Chevota Questions-truck4.jpg  
Old 08-04-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If your leaking gear oil on the front axle then the inner seals are bad, you will need to pull the whole front end a part to replace the seals. The back isn`t as hard, disconect the brake lines and unbolt the axle and pull it out and you will see the seal, knock out the old seal and tap the new one in place.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:52 PM

Ok what all does pulling the entire front end apart entail?
And the back is on the stem of the differential-there is a large nut (im guessing 23mm or so) that is there when u unbolt the driveshaft. On the diagram there is an "oil seal" listed on that stem under the cap, it is leaking there, not at the hubs. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
To pull the front end a part you need to start by removing the hubs and working your way back to the knuckle, once there you need to remove the trunion bearings to get the knuckle off and then you can pull the birfield (axle) out, then look inside the axle tube and you will see the inner seal, you need to remove the old seal and replace it with a new one. The seal your talking about on the rear end is the pinion seal, your better off letting someone with experiance replace this seal, it requires special tools to set the preload on the pinion bearings and crush sleeve, if not done properly you can destroy the rear third member. You shouldn`t have any problems doing the front, just take your time, and be prepared because its a messy job, so have lots of rags close by.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Transmission Frank
I have extensive info about the reason for your leaking balls I can be contacted at backwoodsgoop@gmail.com
leaking balls sounds like a personal problem...
Old 08-16-2009, 05:08 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Axle oil seal. While you are in there you should just do a knuckl service kit.
Metric sockets, brass drift, hammer, fish scale, 54mm socket, etc.

FSM has the knuckle service clearly outlined and numerous write-ups online.

Stop trying to spout your propaganda Frank.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:39 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Transmission Frank
I have extensive info about the reason for your leaking balls I can be contacted at backwoodsgoop@gmail.com
Geez that info is not top secret about leaking inner/outer seals and worn parts where you need to con a guy into emailing you. backwoodsgoop sounds like tree sap

Originally Posted by NicCantDecide
leaking balls sounds like a personal problem...

toyotajake;
try this source of free info: http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
you will find an downloadable pdf on SA toys

good write ups on repairs can also be found here:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml

seals and rebuild kits: marlincrawler.com , trail-gear.com ,wab-fab.org

Sounds like you have a sweet truck, just needs some of the old stuff repaired.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4x4 wire has good write ups with pictures too
Old 09-02-2009, 03:50 PM

What kind of exhaust manifold/ header are you running? I have manifolds on my 85 w/ 305 in it. Any exhaust ideas?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:53 PM

custom headers, 4 tubes dump into a collection, then run into straight pipe with a flowmaster dual setup. Its pretty farkin tight in there...