Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Tires and lockers for 79 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires and lockers for 79 pickup

Greetings! I've already scoured the forum for this information and I can't quite find what I'm looking for so here it is. I'm trying to find a good size tire to fit a stock 79 pickup. Currently looking at some treadwright 31x10.50x15 Guard dog MTs, based on my friend's experience in his trooper. If I can fit 32 or 33 without major rubbing though I would like to. Read posts about 2nd gen 4 runners using 33s with minor rubbing, would it be the same for my 79? Also considering f/r lockers but I'm concerned about street use with them. Would it be worth looking into limited slip? Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Limited slips aren't worth the money and labor, for something that only works some times, in my honest opinion.
You'll need new gears if you step up to 33's too, btw.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you don't necessarily NEED new gears, the truck will drive just fine with them, but it'll be pretty slow getting up to speed, and gas mileage won't be the best.

i've seen 33x12.50's put on the stock 1st gens and they fit fine with the right backspacing on the wheels (idk what is the golden number for 1st gens as far as backspacing) i ran 31x10.50 TSL's on 15x8" wheels with 3.75" backspacing and i never ever rubbed, not even fully flexed and turning (it didn't flex much though lmao) and my springs looked pretty new...not all sagged out like everyone elses.

33x10.50's will fit your rig fine though.

i agree with Scuba on the limited slip....a detroit is the strongest auto locker out there for the toyota axle i believe.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 PM

Alright, I appreciate the input. My only concern with full lockers was drivability on the street during the winter. If I had another vehicle that could handle the snow I would, without question, do front and rear lockers. Any input on snow and ice drivability with them? I think I may just stick to 31s, new gearing may be a little too far down the road for me and that motor already doesn't like getting up to speed.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
go with 31's, you can always get a bigger set when your budget allows it to do it right with gears.
A locked front end (unless you go with a selectable like an ARB or E-locker, both $$$) isn't the best option on a truck that sees DD duties during the winter. They tend to pull straight in a turn.
Since it sounds like you are on a budget (like who isn't) I would recommend an Aussie Locker. It is something that with a few tools and an afternoon you can do yourself.
There is a write up in my build thread. Also You can find Matt16's write up and several good write ups on Zuk's site: http://gearinstalls.com/
Old 01-31-2011, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're looking for no rubbing at all, I can tell you that 33x10.5r15 fits with 4.5" backspacing and 1.5" spacers(had to to clear the v6 calipers since I already had the wheels). If you don't mind a little rubbing or a little trimming to fit then 33x12.5's will more than likely work with about a 3" backspacing.

The guy I bought my truck from had 35x12.5's and ran it stock with no trimming, still didn't beat up the fenders.

I would recommend gears at the same time as you do lockers, but you could get sway with a couple aussies/lockrights without having to regear. I lucked out on some 5.29's, otherwise I would've still been stock 4.10's with my 33's right now. Not sure what I have in the front of mine, but it's either an aussie or lockright, and it's held up pretty well so far, welded rear. My rear tires do wear down faster than the front, even though I mostly drive on the hwy. Might also be that I have km2's, pretty soft rubber.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:38 PM

If you're going to run Treadwrights (which IMO are dang good tires) then what I'd do is run the 31x10.5 Guard Dog MTs and put an Aussie in the front and SPOOL (yes, I said spool) the rear.

I say spool the rear because I LOVE my spooled rear. It is VERY streetable, no problems with it as a DD. Sure, if you like doing u-turns everywhere you go, then you're gonna get some extra scrub and tirewear from the spool, but in regular everyday driving it is MINIMAL. (and the TreadWrights are inexpensive, comparatively speaking, to replace)

Out on the trails I have gone places in 2WD with the spool that others had to lock front hubs for. And in the snow and ice it's awesome as long as you understand the characteristics of both rear tires locked together.

Spool it...you'll love it!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:17 AM

Hey once again I appreciate everybody's input. I'm going to go with the 31.10.5 guard dogs, that's what I was thinking anyway. Aussies front and rear look good, any reason why you couldn't just lock one hub during the winter on the front to maintain your different rotation speeds? Also has anyone heard of skyjacker leaf springs? I need new fronts anyhow and these look decent enough.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by joshua.murray
any reason why you couldn't just lock one hub during the winter on the front to maintain your different rotation speeds?
Do NOT do this.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 PM

Ok, gotcha, don't do that. Any partiular reason? I have a buddy that posts on planetisuzoo and that was the advice he got. Is there a truck-specific reason that you can't leave one hub unlocked? Also ever heard of skjacker springs?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by joshua.murray
Ok, gotcha, don't do that. Any partiular reason?
If you're on the trail, it's a good way to trash a birf, if you run like this on the street it's a great way to propel yourself into oncoming traffic or that big mean telephone pole on the side of the road.

Skyjacker.....heard of 'em...don't know much about 'em.