Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Two cracked fuel tanks in three months

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 05:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Two cracked fuel tanks in three months

So as the title says I’ve have two fuel tanks give up the ghost in the past three months. Oem tank lasted 33 years, new spectra premium tank lasted three months. Cracked in nearly the same location, bottom of the tank where the weld around the drain plug is, and bottom of the tank where the fuel pick up baffle is spot welded to the bottom of the tank. You guys think this is a fluke? Just bad luck? My 4Runner is long travel and it is driven hard but it hasn’t really been beat on since I replaced the tank. Has maybe 60 dirt miles and most of those were smooth roads with the occasional hard hit. It’s basically stock except for upgraded diffs, suspension, and solid mounted drivetrain. I have a new tank waiting at the parts house cause spectra premium warrantees for three years. Just kinda stumped why this happened again. Also no, no rocks or logs have jumped up and punctured, it’s a crack.

any idea yotabros? This is weird and have never heard of this happening to anyone. Thought about rubber mounting the tank, kinda how a Dirtbike does it, but that’s just one more thing to worry about wearing out and failing when I’m miles and miles from civilization. Also would probably need longer bolts and to double nut them on the other side of the tack welded bolts on the frame.
Old 06-10-2023, 02:40 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
probably just luck (or bad) of the draw, especially nowadays. the spectra premium tank i installed in mine in 2013 is still working after 120k miles.
The following users liked this post:
Jimkola (06-10-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 11:00 AM

Received 284 Likes on 212 Posts
the words "solid mounted drivetrain" are a red flag to me. Probably too much vibration at just the wrong frequency or flex in the chassis from engine torque that would normally just flex the engine/trans mounts.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by wallytoo
probably just luck (or bad) of the draw, especially nowadays. the spectra premium tank i installed in mine in 2013 is still working after 120k miles.
yeah I’m really hoping it’s just bad luck. New tank is currently hanging in my garage with the rubberized undercoating drying, gonna throw it in tomorrow morning and hope for the best, if the coating is dry. It’s pretty much still winter here in SoCal, in the 60s and heavy cloud cover with high humidity. Then it’s on to rear wheel bearing replacement lol

Originally Posted by akwheeler
the words "solid mounted drivetrain" are a red flag to me. Probably too much vibration at just the wrong frequency or flex in the chassis from engine torque that would normally just flex the engine/trans mounts.
I mean, a lot of people do it. The motor mounts on these are a well known weak link, especially for those of us that off-road a decent amount. Maybe these trail gear mounts just vibrate worse than others? Might try ruffstuff, heard those are a lot more smooth. I have bad vibration from 1800-2800 rpm. Like mirrors aren’t usable because the vibration is so bad. Maybe the fuel is acting like an amplifier for the vibration? I don’t know much about fluids and vibrations so I really have no idea. Chassis has no cracks and doesn’t flex much, has the big oem cross brace for the trans and I made a 1.75x.120 tube cross member with gusset tubes behind the axle to mount my rear shocks to so that probably stiffened it up a lot back there. I’m kinda stumped as to why it cracked again in almost the same spot on a different tank.
Old 06-11-2023, 09:09 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by h0runner
So as the title says I’ve have two fuel tanks give up the ghost in the past three months. Oem tank lasted 33 years, new spectra premium tank lasted three months.
I got a Spectra Premium tank a few months ago too, hope it wasn't a bad batch!!
Old 06-11-2023, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by hurricanes
I got a Spectra Premium tank a few months ago too, hope it wasn't a bad batch!!
I hope not too. This new one looked a little different and was absolutely covered in what I’m guessing is the thick grease they use when stamping it, maybe flux paste if they dip them? Either way it’s finish it a little different.

rubberized under coating didn’t work very well, was crumbling off as I was working. It’s probably too cold or humid to dry, it’s 55° and raining out this morning. Anyway it’s in and has a few gallons in and the truck runs so I’m gonna say success so far. Still curious if anyone else has heard of this happening or has had this happen themselves. Super weird situation! Hopefully I don’t have to drop the tank again for a while.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:45 AM

Welp another spectra premium tank cracked on me, in the exact same spot as the last time. Once again covered under warrantee but I still have to spend an hour or so swapping them out. Lasted a little over a month. Kinda baffled, can’t really think of any reason other than my solid motor mounts are creating so much vibration it’s causing it to crack at its weakest point? I put solid motor mounts in around June of last year, by January I think the tank cracked, kept smelling fuel for a while but didn’t think much of it till I noticed drips around March, that’s when I swapped the first one, then again in June, now again this weekend. Nothing else on the truck has changed in that time frame other than motor mounts. Crawled around for about an hour last night and don’t see any cracks anywhere on the frame so it’s not being stressed that way. Kinda stumped.
Old 07-28-2023, 01:04 PM

Received 610 Likes on 446 Posts
Can you find a professional shop that boils and repairs tanks???
Perhaps a professional could drill a couple stop holes at the ends of that crack and silver braze a spot over it.
A braze patch would be more flexible than the worked steel tank is.

Warning!!!.... Do Not Try this at Home.....

Last edited by millball; 07-28-2023 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2023, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by millball
Can you find a professional shop that boils and repairs tanks???
Perhaps a professional could drill a couple stop holes at the ends of that crack and silver braze a spot over it.

Warning!!!.... Do Not Try this at Home.....
Id just do it at home or have a buddy tig it, but if it’s cracked on the HAZ three times before, I don’t know if introducing heat to it again will have the desired outcome. I have my oem tank that’s been empty for months, thinking about tig welding the crack and putting that back in. I’ve already got new oem motor mounts that I’m going to “MarMod” cause those won’t vibrate like the trail gear mounts I have.

also yes do not try this at home if you’re not a competent welder or understand flammable fumes
Old 07-28-2023, 01:17 PM

Received 610 Likes on 446 Posts
I suggested brazing because the added material is softer and more resilient than ferrous welding would be.
I see no reason that a steel weld repair would not just crack again.

Last edited by millball; 07-28-2023 at 04:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (07-28-2023)