86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1992 22re pickup Alternator failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 22re pickup Alternator failure

While putting together the rebuilt short block and its various parts, I took the alternator to have it tested at Autozone. According to the test results, it showed three areas of failure on the alternator:

Lamp/Diode Trio test FAILED
Regulator test FAILED
Rectifier test FAILED

I think I caused the failure on these parts mentioned above due to the fact I was cleaning the alternator and the starter motor using a pressure washer. Must be a very stupid and dumb thing to do on my part. Prior to removing the engine and its parts, the alternator was working fine and charging good. The starter motor was also tested as well and it is working fine now. I may have screwed up the alternator using the pressure washer to cleaned it. Perhaps the electrical components on the alternator does not react well with water using the pressure washer. Can these parts be checked out and maybe save to use them? Possibly loose wiring, connectors, nuts and bolts due to the pressure washer caused them to failed? Live and learn.

I don't know if the tests are true or not. I suspect maybe the parts store person did not know what he was doing. Could it be falisfying the tests at autozone? Just throwing in my 2 cents worth.

I would like to have the replacement parts as mentioned above or do I have to get another alternator? I searched for replacement parts and there is no regulator, rectifier and Lamp/Diode trio parts that I cannot find that specifically match parts on the alternator. Or maybe I did not research it deep enough. The failure of the above parts are three separate parts? I am aware of the regulator and the rectifier are separate parts. Is the Lamp/Diode Trio part of the regulator or rectifier or by itself a part? Also, I searched for the diagram of the alternator assembly/disassembly and its parts so I can see what parts that I can replace and where the parts go. Are there any specific tools require? Is there a step by step process to remove and replace the parts? There is not any alternator diagram/pictures found on the manual.

According to the type of alternator I have and its interchanges, here is what I found:

1992 Toyota pickup 22re 2.4L SOHC alternator interchanges:

INTERCHANGES:

DENSO 100211-9840

TOYOTA 27060-35130

LESTER 13398

BOSCH AL218X

REMY 14389

Also, I checked out the alternator repair kits on ebay that has rectifier and regulator replacement parts but does not show specifically for the alternator repair kit for the 1992 Toyota 22re 2.4L alternator I have. There is no replacement part for the Lamp/Diode Trio, either, that I am aware of.

Does anyone out there have any feedback/comments/advice on this issue? Thanks for reading.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:22 AM

I finally found the section on Generator in the FSM and its assembly/disassembly parts. I was under the impression of Alternator and not Generator for the issues I am having.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Learning
... I took the alternator to have it tested at Autozone. ..
... Prior to removing the engine and its parts, the alternator was working fine and charging good.
... Perhaps the electrical components on the alternator does not react well with water ....
Why have it tested when it was was working in the first place?
No electrical or electronic part likes water.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Did you spray the Alternator with the full force of your pressure washer ??

I think he may have realized the error of his ways with the pressure washer

Since the alternator has a board in there that is the voltage regulator and the rectifier

I bet the water took out the traces

We all make dumb mistakes learn for this

Till you get done sourcing all the parts cheaper to buy a New Denso New not rebuilt!!

Last edited by wyoming9; 06-23-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
The FSM has a procedure for testing the rectifier with a multimeter, and you can test the regulator as well using your car battery, an 18V drill battery, and a spare 12V brake bulb. The brushes are really the only real feasible items to replace, the rectifier can be found but is expensive.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Till you get done sourcing all the parts cheaper to buy a New Denso New not rebuilt!!
Rebuit but with warranty from Toyota is fine, too. Need to return the old alternator for core refund. For example, I bought a Denso reman starter from Toyota Parts Deal (28100-35060-84) and it came with Toyota warranty.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by coryc85
The FSM has a procedure for testing the rectifier with a multimeter, ....
http://web.archive.org/web/201102051.../3generato.pdf

RockAuto has replacement voltage regulators (if the regulator is damaged the test may show bad rectifiers, or you could have damaged both). But RockAuto also has replacment Alternators for not much more money. I know what I'd do.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:15 PM

RAD4Runner, thanks for your comments. The reason I pressured wash the alternator in the first place was because it was dirty. Then I realized afterwards the electrical components with water on the alternator may caused the alternator to have failed Lamp/Diode Trio, Rectifier and regulator tests.

wyoming9, thanks for your comments as well. Yes, I sprayed the Alternator with full pressure washer. Yes, we all make dumb mistakes.

coryc85, thanks for the FSM tip in regards to testing the alternator using a multimeter. Instead of going through all the processes of testing the alternator and possibly getting new parts replacement, which is probably going to be expensive, I decided to order a rebuilt alternator.

RAD4Runner and scope103, thanks for your comments as well. The rebuilt alternator I ordered does not require a core charge. I am keeping the old alternator and possibly to take it apart. That way I can see if I find out what exactly is the problem or problems. Thanks to all for reading and posting comments.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:01 AM

Update:

I got the rebuilt alternator and went to auto parts store to have both the old alternator and the new rebuilt alternator to have it tested for voltage. The old alternator passed and the rebuilt one did not. Funny, though, the old alternator was tested after I pressure washed it and failed. Now the old alternator is fine. I guessed the parts that failed earlier must have dried out and now is working.

So the rebuilt was not working according to the tests due to faulty grounding. I went to another auto parts store to test both alternators. Both passed!!! I am going to use the rebuilt alternator on the pickup and keep the old alternator as a backup. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Yep, hard to rely on those part store testers, or rather the store associates performing them. Good idea to at least hang onto your OEM one.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Yep, hard to rely on those part store testers, or rather the store associates performing them. Good idea to at least hang onto your OEM one.
Second that.
AND IF you ever buy another rebuilt OEM, store will only accept OEM core for refund.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:57 AM

RAD4Runner and coryc85, thanks for your previous posts and excellent feedback!! I appreciated it.