Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

when i enable the WEP code, the internet crashes, anyone got ne ideas?

Old 08-30-2008, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when i enable the WEP code, the internet crashes, anyone got ne ideas?

ok so ive been noticing a lot of high latency times in games, and i figure it must be someone stealing my internet and downloading. so i enable the WEP key on my router, and the internet will work for maybe 3-4 minutes, then it dies. (wireless anyway). when i disable the WEP key, the internet works 100% fine. do i have something goofed in the router setup, or is the router a piece of poo? its a linksys btw
Old 08-30-2008, 10:59 PM

any thoughts?
Old 08-31-2008, 06:06 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I am running both a Linksys Vonage router for my telephone and PCs, and a Linksys wireless access point that plugs into the former so I have wireless for the laptop.

You mean the security key so no one can get onto your connection unless they have the login password?

I run WPA2 Personal for my security.
You should always have that enabled to keep neighbors and drivebys from parking in front of your home from getting on to your connection.

By the way, when I sit in my recliner with my laptop, I can scan the area here and see about ten secured wireless connections, and about three unsecured.
Yes, I can get onto those and surf on their dime, but I do not.
My connection is much faster anyways

If that is what you meant by the WPA, try running the one I run.
If it does not support it, it might be time for an upgrade.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:22 AM

all it supports is WEP 64 bit and WEP 128bit
Old 08-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That is actually the first protocol in my list in the drop down box for where I select the security settings.

How old is the router?
Might be time to trade up to a new Linksys?
Here is a good one.

My new Dell laptop I bought last Christmas only goes up to wireless G, but this new router here goes up to N.
It is backward compatible.

If I was not on Vonage for my telco, this would be the router I would more than likely get if I was looking for a new one.
But I need my current one since it has my telephone number hard coded into it.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Any update to this?
Old 09-19-2008, 08:40 PM

nope... when i get my paycheck im just gonna buy a new router and hope that fixes the problem. i think WEP 64 bit is kind of outdated anyway...
Old 09-04-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brain Waves

Originally Posted by Corey
I am running both a Linksys Vonage router for my telephone and PCs, and a Linksys wireless access point that plugs into the former so I have wireless for the laptop.

You mean the security key so no one can get onto your connection unless they have the login password?

I run WPA2 Personal for my security.
You should always have that enabled to keep neighbors and drivebys from parking in front of your home from getting on to your connection.

By the way, when I sit in my recliner with my laptop, I can scan the area here and see about ten secured wireless connections, and about three unsecured.
Yes, I can get onto those and surf on their dime, but I do not.
My connection is much faster anyways

If that is what you meant by the WPA, try running the one I run.
If it does not support it, it might be time for an upgrade.
Considering that all wireless routers use radio waves on certain channels and frequencys.. there is probably mulitple signals of the same frequency bouncing around that match yours so your laptop gets confused.. yes anything that is hard wired (plugged in) wont be effected at all.. might want to go in to the router settings and change you channel and maybe use a differnet set of bands.. N is not always better then B or G.. N is just for range and if its not working...... please PM me is you need help adjusting any settings at all.. i own 3 linksys routers and share with people.. and i had that problem when i set my network up....
Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by RAWRMON
Considering that all wireless routers use radio waves on certain channels and frequencys.. there is probably mulitple signals of the same frequency bouncing around that match yours so your laptop gets confused.. yes anything that is hard wired (plugged in) wont be effected at all.. might want to go in to the router settings and change you channel and maybe use a differnet set of bands.. N is not always better then B or G.. N is just for range and if its not working...... please PM me is you need help adjusting any settings at all.. i own 3 linksys routers and share with people.. and i had that problem when i set my network up....
lol thanks for the tip... but did you happen to notice this thread is 3 years old?

i had totally forgotten this thread... and i had bought a router, same thing. internet would crash even with the new routers, this time the WEP didnt matter. so i am STILL using that old wireless B router until i feel like running a hard line through the attic into my bedroom.