GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

GPS Topo Maps ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS Topo Maps ?

I use an iPAQ PDA with a bluetooth receiver for GPS.

As you can see I use TomTom, also SmartSt when I Use the Navman Sleeve (a bit more portable). These little iPAQ's work pretty well, even pickup and connect to WIFI hot spots easily.Does anyone know where to get a hold of some topo maps for use with TT or SS. Right now I can use the gps and set POI but it looks pretty lame on a blank solid screen (does give me gps positon though, which is nice to know off the road in the dark. So any topo's out there?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Memory-Map navigator ($99) with free downloadable topos commonly available online.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

PNB, how has the Axim performed? Will it accept NG topos or is MM adequate? Where is the antenna mounted? If you did it again, would you do the same, get a dedicated GPS, or a laptop? Whats your fav GPS oriented site? TIA, very nice, rare 'Runner, tastefully done.

Edit: Looks like Axim just got the axe.

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6174546.html

Last edited by BT17R; 07-29-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:42 PM

xplorx4 and I were just talking about how much we like our Axims on a camping & wheeling trip last weekend. As you have probably noticed, Dell, HP and seemingly everyone else are abandoning PDA production and going towards the PDA/phone market, something I am not interested in at all. You can still find plenty of Axims and HPs around though. And yes, I would still make the same purchase today. In fact, I just ordered a Proclip mount that is specific to the 4Runner and a Seidio charging Axim dock. I will post pics of the setup once it arrives.

The Dells and HPs run Windows Mobile 5.0, which means you can find just about any software you want for them. I am not sure if NG Topos has a PDA version of their software, but I can speak for how good Memory-Map works.

The antenna is bluetooth and is velcro'd to the center of my dash. I use a $69 i-Blue 737, which is known for its strong receiver and excellent battery run-time.

I recently bought a new Dell laptop, but I have no plans to use it in the truck--the Axim, along with the Memory-Map software, does everything I need it to do without taking up all of my interior space.

Hope I answered all of your questions. Most states have topos available for download for free. For California, you can find them at gis.ca.gov. Click on "interactive mapping" to the left and pick one of three ways to download your quads of choice.

Ken
Old 07-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Ken. Looks like a great way to go.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:03 AM

lol, I print them out at work and use my cheapo garmin to tell where I am on the map. I did just order 3 DeLorme PN-20s which are capable of showing where you are on a topo base (downloadable form Delorme for a price). We ordered the more expensive GIS-like software and will be able to upload a topo base, imagery , and whatever else we might want. I'm hoping it will make my mapping more efficient.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:46 PM

I set my laptop in the passenger seat. Use Delorme Topo 6.0 with the earthmate lt20 usb device attached. works wonderfully. Tracks your postion, tracks your path, you can enter more POI's than you can ever want. Use my hand held magellen when I go by foot.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

It maybe old school but I can make you guys some paper topo maps. It might take me a little while to find the data but I can make some nice maps.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

I've been using an IPAQ 4350 with an IPAQ bluetooth GPS and I LOVE IT!
I just scan and calibrate any map I want, most often grabbing a screenshot from Google Earth and calibrating it. If I need topo, I grab a screenshot from Garmin Mapsource, and calibrate that. The 4350 sits in the previously useless 'cup holder", the gps on the dash. The whole thing pops out and goes into the plane in seconds. It's not that I don't know where I'm going, but that I like to see where I've been.
There is a ton of software out there for all kinds of GPS applications. Just try to figure out what your needs are for any particular mission.

Paddlenbike is right about the switch to PDA/Phone combos, but what's out there right now is kind of like using a Spork. Sure, they work, but they don't do either job as well as a dedicated unit. My IPAQ 4350 has been like a workhorse for me. Wireless, bluetooth and a built-in keyboard. HP only made the one model with the keyboard and only Treo made one like it. They don't make them anymore, but you can get them on Ebay for about $150.00.

If anyone needs a Bluetooth GPS, drop me a PM. I thought mine quit and bought a new one (Ebay $50.00), and then my first one came back to life, so I don't need the new one after all.