GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

Apple GPS App?

Old 08-27-2015, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apple GPS App?

Any recommendations for a GPS off road map app that is any good and works on the iPad? Id like to be able to download maps to run with out service, as well as plotting/planning trips.
I know lots of people say getting a GPS device is better, but I dont have $400+ dollars to spend and we already have an iPad so I thought I would make use of it.
Seams like Australia and NZ have a few real good offroad map apps like HEMA. I dont understand why we dont have any in the US.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I have used Apple for a few years but some GPS apps I use on my galaxy tablet and phone
include:
Gaia GPS
Back Country Navigator
OsmAnd

they all allow you to download offline maps and work pretty good.
Just not sure if they are available for Apple but gives you some names to look for.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dropzone
I have used Apple for a few years but some GPS apps I use on my galaxy tablet and phone
include:
Gaia GPS
Back Country Navigator
OsmAnd

they all allow you to download offline maps and work pretty good.
Just not sure if they are available for Apple but gives you some names to look for.
Thanks for those. I'll search the Apple App Store for them. I went ahead and did some searching and found some info on overland journal. Went ahead and bought MotionX GPS HD. I haven't used it yet, but just from looking at the app it seams real nice. Good definition and color with a few map styles including topo maps with good detailed roads and trail. It lets you set way points and plan routs as well as download Mao tiles for offline use. And it was only about $3.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garmin has a really solid app whose name escapes me at the moment.