GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

Good CB Set-up for 94 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good CB Set-up for 94 4runner

Guys i'm not sure what would be the best system to get that doesn't break the bank...

Can anyone shed some light on what brand and size whip i should get ?

Post some pics of your set up that would be awsome.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a little Uniden 520xl and a removable Wilson Lil' Wil 1000 hard mounted to the top of my pickup. It did everything I needed it to and wasn't too expensive. I'm sorry I don't have any good pictures of the install.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a brush guard, and i have a double whip set up. if i remember right each of my whips are 3'. basically i just drilled some holes in the side of the brush guard, attached an L-bracket (with a little customizing) with the individual whip attached to the other end and ran the wires inside the hood. it works good and looks ok. it would look better if i spent a little more time making sure the brackets were parallel. one of them is slightly tilted. my whips are maycom brand. if you do it this way, definitely use brackets and bolts that aren't steel, otherwise you'll have a rust problem like you can see in my pictures. i would change it, but if you saw the rest of my truck, you'd understand why a little rust of the brackets isn't worth the effort of changing it.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a rig you get what you pay for, however since not many use CB anymore you can also get a deal. I run an older (metal cased) cobra-19 and find the audio tx and rx to be superior to many other lower end, no thrills radios.

I know well that more important than the rig is the antenna. You cannot get better (for mobile) than a 102" stainless whip, mounted on top of truck in center. Do not let fancy coils, pointy things and exaggerated/false claims tell you otherwise.
You can always tie the end back with cord so it does not hit every tree in the woods or knock chips off the McDonalds drive thru.
If 102" of antenna is too much to deal with, a center loaded 4' steel whip would be my second choice. Anything shorter and you might as well just go out and buy a $39.99 pair of "37 mile" FRS/GMRS cause your range is going to be cut down to less than several miles.
BTW, I can talk 10 miles over mountainous terrain between my truck and my "vintage" radio shack TRC-211 handheld. I know, sounds like I am a telling you a tale but its true, and even more unbelievable is the TRC does not even put out quite the FCC limit pep.
Most say a handheld CB aint good for more than 2 or 3 miles if that. That is because short antennas do not work well with low frequencies(longer wavelengths).
The TRC-211 has a ridiculously large, telescopic center loaded antenna, about 4' in length when fully extended.
Also make sure to get a SWR meter and match your antenna, is cheaper to buy one than take it to a shop and remember not just adjusting the length affects signal to wave ratio but also especially for shorter loaded antennas, where its at on the metal body does also.
That truck of ayoung101's looks cool, but a 8' whip would do just as well, maybe a little better for being out in the woods. "co-phase" is nice when you got a wide vehicle and want a better radiation pattern front to back, like on the highway.
I might run duals myself, with one cut a little shorter than the other for 10meter and the other for CB, and it also lets me double how many rebel flags I can fly.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i run a old school uniden pc76xl with a fender mount 3ft wilson antenna works just fine i did have a 102'' whip which is better but its soo tall
Old 10-30-2009, 10:16 AM

if you do it this way, definitely use brackets and bolts that aren't steel, otherwise you'll have a rust problem like you can see in my pictures. i would change it, but if you saw the rest of my truck, you'd understand why a little rust of the brackets isn't worth the effort of changing it.
Rustoleum Cold Galv. or Sherwin Williams Zinc-Clad will make it near as good as hot dipped, even better than plated. Make sure if you do to take a wire brush and brush hard for you spray it. I been using this stuff for years on structural steel at work and it last a long long time.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:18 AM

i would weatherproof that connection also, at least wrap some tape (tape+butyl perfered)