GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

A few questions to those who run CB's

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions to those who run CB's

Well i had my cb setup for about a year and i would say that I only used it 2 times. Since my mic was stolen i am trying to decide if i should replace it.

In the last few months i have been useing some little had held radios that claim a 25 mile range... I can usually get 5 in a good thick woods area, sometimes as far as 9 miles.

My question is why not replace my cb with the little hand held things?

I don't think i was ever able to get 9 miles out of the cb, (although it may have had more potental then the handhelds)

Also do CB's and Hand held radios share the same channels? (i know it might be a newb question but i would like to know).

I was just thinking it is easer to carry my radios in my pocket and then i have extra's i can hand out to people walking around outside.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to answer your question- no radio that I know of uses the same channels. Mine came with a guide that told you the frequencies, they were way off from cb.

Really, it depends on what you want. I run CB because I live in a town where everybody has a cb. We even have a restaurant that takes orders via cb. Another thing is the loggers use CB, so when you are in the woods, you need one (at least around here).

Just my opinion
Old 10-28-2007, 07:58 PM

CB radios operate in the High Frequency band at around 27Mhz. Those other radios operate in the Ultra High Frequency band at around 462Mhz. You cannot communicate between the CB and FRS/GMRS bands. CB radios need to be tuned correctly to get any decent range out of them. I carry the walkie talkies around in my truck so that messages can be transferred back and forth.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Dang,

Most groups require a CB if you want to wheel with them, so i guess if i cannot use a hand held then i will have to stick with the cb.

I know that you have to tune a CB for it to work, Mine was tuned rather well but I was still dissipointed by the low proformance of CB's. (I had too high expectations, like 50 - 80 miles is what i was hopeing for )

Can a HAM radio communicate with CB?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:46 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A ham can communicate with a CB AFAIK, you wont ever get more than 20 miles out of a CB period. Its to low powered, now crank up the power and VOILA! But thats illegal..

May want to see if you convince your buddies to use VHF/UHF, we use it in our work vans (I work as an AAA contractor doing batteries) and it will reach 50 miles easy..
Old 10-28-2007, 08:51 PM

just use a linear... just keep it under your seat so if you get pulled over a cop doesnt see it. thats what i did. im simply stating a fact, im not proposing anyone do anything illegal. and without a linear, isnt it possible to sometimes talk to someone across the continent if the solar flare/whatever its called is JUST right?
Old 10-28-2007, 09:00 PM

you know there are hand held CB radios, they basicaly look like an old ghetto cellphone, or a WWII radio. I have on i got from an army surplus store, i keep it with my quad so whenever somebody is on the quad and runs out of gas or gets stuck they can radio back to the CB in my truck.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:02 PM

well i use a Uniden GrantXL that has been big time tweeked out. both on AM and on the sideband. i use a 102" whip on the front left fender. i can get about an 20-75mile chat going. u have to remember that an antanna will transmit on "THE BOTTOM BASE" of the antanna..... so the higher that u mount it the farther u transmit... the top of the antanna is the reception. just a little to know.....
Old 10-28-2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by bruzryoda
well i use a Uniden GrantXL that has been big time tweeked out. both on AM and on the sideband. i use a 102" whip on the front left fender. i can get about an 20-75mile chat going. u have to remember that an antanna will transmit on "THE BOTTOM BASE" of the antanna..... so the higher that u mount it the farther u transmit... the top of the antanna is the reception. just a little to know.....
so basically you can broadcast farther if your base is on your rollbar in the bed, lets say, than if it was mounted on the bumper or the side of the taillight assembly?
Old 10-28-2007, 09:09 PM
CJM

Exactly, alot mount antennas to the bumper. I chose to mount it on top of my toolbox and get much better distance vs others and can pick up other stuff easier.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:13 PM

ive seen the toolbox trick done, and was considering doing that until i realized to fit a toolbox in, id have to take out the bar, which is somethin i dont want to do. if i figure out a way to mount it to the roll bar, ill let you guys know. damn this thread was informative.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:46 PM

i plan on mounting the 102" on the roof only cuz i do alot of solo wheelin' in this part of Idaho. "don't use the fibreglass antannas cuz they tend 2 break or crack when they hit trees, rocks, ETC.......ECT......
Old 10-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

The only problem i see with running a HAM or "fixing" a CB is that i will be able to transmitte much farther, but i will not be able to pick up any CB transmissions any better, Is this correct?

So for it to really work i would need to have all my friends run a similar setup.

It would be really sweet if we could communicate 20+ miles away then when i take a wrong turn and drive for 45 minutes they can still get ahold of me

I have seen the handheld CB units. The local Goodwill had one in MINT condition in the origional case for 20.00, i almost bought it... but i realized why would i need it?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
With my old Uniden Grant XL and 4' Firestik antenna, I could get 15-20 miles of range in good conditions (transmit and receive). One time was able to talk to some folks in my group that were up on a ridge while I was down on the highway coming back with some spare parts ( I was about 30 minutes from the start of the trail). The guys on the ridge could talk back to the folks with the broken down rig on the other side of the ridge.

I also have a hand held FRS radio that I usually take along. Have used it 1-2 times on the trail in 6-8 years. So I guess it all depends on what the other folks have/use. Also carry a hand held CB for backup in case the main CB has an issue. Hand held CB is also handy when you need to get out of the truck to help spot a truck through some tough area when you can't get really close to the driver.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 10-29-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

I have 4 cobra GMRS/FRS radios. I love those things. I got tired of never using my CB, because no one I know or go wheeling with has one, so there was no point.

With the radios I can be sure that they have what I have.

I've considered getting a hand held CB as well, just in case.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:26 AM
CJM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
ive seen the toolbox trick done, and was considering doing that until i realized to fit a toolbox in, id have to take out the bar, which is somethin i dont want to do. if i figure out a way to mount it to the roll bar, ill let you guys know. damn this thread was informative.
Mount it to your stake hole int he bed (they make mounts for them) or the bed rails or something. That way its up and outta the way and high enough.

Originally Posted by bob200587
I have 4 cobra GMRS/FRS radios. I love those things. I got tired of never using my CB, because no one I know or go wheeling with has one, so there was no point.

With the radios I can be sure that they have what I have.

I've considered getting a hand held CB as well, just in case.
I dont like them b/c they suck in range and are $$$, they work decently at best too.

Last edited by CJM; 10-29-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CJM

I dont like them b/c they suck in range and are $$$, they work decently at best too.
I don't think they're that expensive....I wouldn't have bought them if they were, because I'm cheap.

I've never operated on the GMRS because you need liscencing, but I've gotten up to 3 miles in suburban, and urban areas.....and the buildings are hell on radio range.

I'm sure if I got up in the woods, and some higher elevations I could get 5-7 maybe a little more out of the FRS. Which isn't great, but should be enough for most uses.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM
CJM

Originally Posted by bob200587
I don't think they're that expensive....I wouldn't have bought them if they were, because I'm cheap.

I've never operated on the GMRS because you need liscencing, but I've gotten up to 3 miles in suburban, and urban areas.....and the buildings are hell on radio range.

I'm sure if I got up in the woods, and some higher elevations I could get 5-7 maybe a little more out of the FRS. Which isn't great, but should be enough for most uses.
Ive tried GMRS and the FRS (who buys licenses for this junk, I dont see anyone using them that does??). I have some higher end uniden ones, all I got is 5 miles-my cab can pull 25 and it cost me less than the 70 dollar set of radios, and wont go dead on me.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CJM
Ive tried GMRS and the FRS (who buys licenses for this junk, I dont see anyone using them that does??). I have some higher end uniden ones, all I got is 5 miles-my cab can pull 25 and it cost me less than the 70 dollar set of radios, and wont go dead on me.
70 seems pricey.....

I find that CB's are a hassle. You have to find a place to install it, the antenna, run the coax, get it tuned, blah blah blah. I got sick of the stupid thing and sold it.

The only time I got any use out of it, was when I got info about traffic jams on the interstate. Other than that, the only thing was trucker sex talk....

Not to mention, that you can't take it with you when you leave the vehicle. The FRS radios are just a lot easier to deal with, and much more versatile. And I don't think that you would get much better with a hand held CB, plus, those thigns are huge and bulky and take like 10 AA batts. I've had them. They weren't very useful, and much more expensive than the GMRS/FRS radios.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
With my old Uniden Grant XL and 4' Firestik antenna, I could get 15-20 miles of range in good conditions (transmit and receive). One time was able to talk to some folks in my group that were up on a ridge while I was down on the highway coming back with some spare parts ( I was about 30 minutes from the start of the trail). The guys on the ridge could talk back to the folks with the broken down rig on the other side of the ridge.

I also have a hand held FRS radio that I usually take along. Have used it 1-2 times on the trail in 6-8 years. So I guess it all depends on what the other folks have/use. Also carry a hand held CB for backup in case the main CB has an issue. Hand held CB is also handy when you need to get out of the truck to help spot a truck through some tough area when you can't get really close to the driver.
YES! I TOTALLY AGREE WITH 4CRAWLER. THAT IS A GREAT IDEA!

Quick Reply: A few questions to those who run CB's