Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

REVIEW: Q-Logic's Q-Custom Subwoofer Box

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
REVIEW: Q-Logic's Q-Custom Subwoofer Box

Hey guys,

I bought this at a very good price and i decided to try it out. Model # is QL-C1T4R110. i wanted to purchase this when i was researching subwoofer options, but some of the guys on the forum said they were not great at producing good sound. so based on that recommendaiton, i bought a 10" sub box from Q-logic too. But because i got such a great price on this q-custom box, and also given the fact taht have (and love) the Q-forms holding my CDT components, i gave it a shot.

Quality
It's pretty well constructed. It's definitely a quality item using quality plastic and MDF. the one thing i don't like about it is the tape and vibration dampening foam tape they use. the main tape they give you is actually a rubber compound and does nothing to dampen vibrations---which is the #1 complaint i've seen on the internets about this box. so i ended up buying some better quality vibration damepning foam tape from mcmaster and completley covered it. Guess what? no vibration

Design
This thing fits perfectly into the right side cargo area. if you have a 98 like mine, you have to remove the cargo panel to install this. However, i am a little suspect of the amount of room for the sub to operate. This is one of those times where you consult a good, knowledgable expert who can match subs and boxes. one thing i think needs improving is that the terminal cup is at the bottom of the unit itself. it faces downwards towards the floor. very hard to access.

Installation
you have to mount the speakers into the box and then install the cover onto the sub box. once done, install the sub box onto the rear panel. there are two mounting points that require #8 3/4" screws. But guess what? those are totally inadequate to hold the box to the side panel. so i bought some toggle screws, widened the two holes w/ an 3/8" drill bit and fastened the sub box to the panel that way. another con is that even though using the toggle screws worked 100% better than the #8 screws, the top is sort of loose. therefore, i just used a 8" screw and that seems to hold it in place.

Pros
- Fits very flush and uses that space effectively. Bass without sacrificing cargo space
- Quality materials

Cons
- Bass is not as crisp, but still is adequate. Box design may be suboptimal.
- if you have a Husky liner, you cannot lay it flat anymore. i am going to try to see if i can slip it under again, though.
- speaker faces towards the other side of the cabin and not towards the back for good bass reflection
- putting holes in your cargo panel!

I'm going to give this about 30 days before i decide to keep it or not.

Oh, you definitely have to get a quality speaker for this to make up for the shortcomings in box design.
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: Q-Logic's Q-Custom Subwoofer Box-box1.jpg   REVIEW: Q-Logic's Q-Custom Subwoofer Box-box2.jpg   REVIEW: Q-Logic's Q-Custom Subwoofer Box-box3.jpg  

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 08-02-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you still have this?