Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Free iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 04:07 AM
Spammer got spanked :)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free iPod?

Before you write this thread off as a spam thread, please read this webpage

**LINKS REMOVED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT**

Although I still think you should take that site with a grain of salt, I think it's still worth a try. As long as you don't use a normal email address (get a hotmail email maybe) just in case of spam email, you should be fine. I've done research on this and it seems like the best way for this to work is to sign up for the Ancestry.com option, wait until you get confirmation on your iPod website that you actually signed up with Ancestry, then call the toll free number to cancel your free trial. Then it's just a matter of getting 5 people to do the same thing. Anyway, check it out.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, ive seen this on plenty of message boards.. its a scam... not to mention this is your 1st post. mods please delete this garbage.

Originally Posted by bstboy
Before you write this thread off as a spam thread, please read this webpage

Although I still think you should take that site with a grain of salt, I think it's still worth a try. As long as you don't use a normal email address (get a hotmail email maybe) just in case of spam email, you should be fine. I've done research on this and it seems like the best way for this to work is to sign up for the Ancestry.com option, wait until you get confirmation on your iPod website that you actually signed up with Ancestry, then call the toll free number to cancel your free trial. Then it's just a matter of getting 5 people to do the same thing. Anyway, check it out.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

He's in the process of being removed. Until then, enjoy the caption under his user name...
Old 07-27-2004, 04:04 PM

HAHAHAHA, nice touch Tom!
Old 07-27-2004, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Ahh, can't take credit for that. Only Corey and Chris have the power to make those changes. I just thought I'd point it out!
Old 07-28-2004, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

No matter. I like it. The name, not the scam.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Nice! So I wonder if his username was intended to be a euphemism (Best Buy)?

Old 07-28-2004, 02:44 PM

He's actually a member of t4r.org and fellow 4Runner owner. He's a semi-regular poster there. This wasn't just some spammer that felt like promoting his scam here. He honestly believes in it; whether you do or don't, that's your prerogative.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:18 PM

not the best thing to post on your first time at a board
Old 07-28-2004, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kronicx
He's actually a member of t4r.org and fellow 4Runner owner. He's a semi-regular poster there. This wasn't just some spammer that felt like promoting his scam here. He honestly believes in it; whether you do or don't, that's your prerogative.
If anyone noticed the links he had posted, one was semi-generic to the site, the other was a link with _his_ referral number in it. Following that link, and signing up for the service, would help him get to his sign-up quota which is what's required to earn a "free ipod".

I started a thread here about that site a few days ago. I'd started to fill out the forms and then stopped. fwiw, just today I started getting spam to the email address I used when filling out the forms.

I think that the offer is "real", in the sense that you can eventually get a free iPod, but you'll tick off a lot of your friends along the way. It's a pyramid scheme that is banking on the users that you're sending to the site as a qualified marketing list. i.e., just by the nature of you filling out the form to say that you're interested, they already know a LOT about you, and that marketing info is then turned around and sold to other companies.

One interesting quote from their "privacy policy" is:
This Privacy Policy applies to consumers that have signed up on the freeiPods.com website. We may sell the personal information that you supply to us and we may work with other third party businesses to bring selected retail opportunities to our members via direct mail, email and telemarketing. These businesses may include providers of direct marketing services and applications, including lookup and reference, data enhancement, suppression and validation and email marketing.

And from the terms and conditions...
4. Being eligible to receive a free iPod

(a) Users must refer at least 5 friends to the site who must sign up, and correctly complete an offer from the site under the Terms listed above.

(b) Users must also complete at least one offer themselves.

(c) A user may not get credit for completing more than one offer. Their referrals must each do 1 offer, totaling 6 offers to be completed (1 by the customer, and 5 offers done by a minimum of 5 referrals).

(d) Referrals completing more than 1 offer will only count as 1.

(e) Users may refer more than 5 friends to try and maximize likelihood of getting credit and minimize the time it takes, but cannot receive credit for more than 1 iPod.

(f) Users may only receive one iPod for their account.

(g) Users must be residents of the United States.

Last edited by midiwall; 07-28-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

There are people on eBay selling the link for anyplace from $0.99 to $5.00. I guess if you don't mind SPAM it's a cheap way to get an iPod.