Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Custom Woofer box build

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Custom Woofer box build

Alright well now since I have my bucket seats installed im going to be building a custom box/ center consol with some cup holders to go right inbetween...

anyway...
I have 2 kicker c10's...Im reading some articles and the specs say I need between 1.0 Cu. Ft and 2.4 Cu. Ft
Now I think i want to shoot in the 1.5 range...
Does this mean I need 3 cubic feet in order to get the best sound with both...?
Heres a rough, I MEAN ROUGH, sketch of what i would like to do...

Anyone I'd like some input from you audio gurus out there...what should I change?...Is this a good idea..? And so onn..
Old 11-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so from the looks of your drawings you will have the speakers facing towards the front of the truck

if so might be a bad idea because they could be damage more easly facing foward then facing towards the rear of the truck

also you might want to put the tweaters on the side of the box in fear of being damaged up top

and your math seem right to me

Is the box going to be vented or not

Last edited by 96redtoy; 11-03-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 PM

What about some mesh grille covers...is that what you mean by damaged...?
And it's going to be non vented..Im not a math genius and this is my first box build..so i know the shape and design is a bit complicated...but adding ports would make it more complicated...
Old 11-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With those woofers right beside you and the tweets by your ear you are going to have some imaging problems... having the tweets that close is going to make the music sound too bright and the woofers will be less effective firing into the centre of the cabin.
You do want to have the woofers and tweeters as close together as you can but you might be better to have the woofers in boxes behind the seats with the tweets on top of them firing at the ceiling and the woofers at the seat backs... as long as you don't overdrive the bass you won't damage them and as a plus you will gain some low back massage effect lol..

Last edited by aviator; 11-03-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
With those woofers right beside you and the tweets by your ear you are going to have some imaging problems... gotta run catch the daily show I'll explain in a few...
X2 nice idea but your gonna regret the sound imaging your gonna want to have the subs facing more toward the windows so you get a full wave and it can reflect off the window so it can travel through out the truck.

As for your tweeters I say place them on the A pillar so they face downward toward you and they can send the wave more fully through out the truck as well.

Imaging is all about getting the sound to surround and envelop you and fooling your ears into not being able to differentiate where the sound is coming from but believing it is surrounding you completely at all angles and meeting in the middle.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:24 PM

hmm, I get what you guys are saying...so where am i left putting the subs...?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:07 PM

What about take 2

Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Another thing is those are big subs for a small space. With just them and the tweets you're going to loose all the mid-range sound, it like all you will hear is the high hat the kick drum and the bass guitar and someone screaming cause their shorts are too tight, you're going to miss the rest of the band lol.

What you almost need for best sound would be a single 10" firing towards the back wall/window like you have in the second drawing, the pair of tweets and a pair of 5"-6.5" mids.
Keep the 10" in the console and put the tweets and mids in the doors. If you choose to put the tweets in the A-pillar then have them as close to the bottom of the it as you can, this will give you the best staging.

Remember highs are very directional so if you have them to close to your ears it will pull the stage closer to you... kinda like sitting first row floor at a concert you can't see squat and you can't hear half the music.
With the tweets at the bottom of the a or on the outer corner of the dash in a pod surface mount you won't have that problem. The closer you can get them to the mids the more balanced the sound will be.
The subs on the other hand are very non-directional they fill in the bottom end sound were ever they are but like harleyman said you want to get their sound to "bounce" of the surface they are aimed at for the best effect... unless you go for a sealed band-pass box then it does'nt matter as much because you are getting the "thump" from the air movement with-in the box itself.
It really all depends what your goals are with the sound system and what you like to listen to.

Last edited by aviator; 11-04-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Another thing is those are big subs for a small space. With just them and the tweets you're going to loose all the mid-range sound, it like all you will hear is the high hat the kick drum and the bass guitar and someone screaming cause their shorts are too tight, you're going to miss the rest of the band lol.

What you almost need for best sound would be a single 10" firing towards the back wall/window like you have in the second drawing, the pair of tweets and a pair of 5"-6.5" mids.
Keep the 10" in the console and put the tweets and mids in the doors. If you choose to put the tweets in the A-pillar then have them as close to the bottom of the it as you can, this will give you the best staging.

Remember highs are very directional so if you have them to close to your ears it will pull the stage closer to you... kinda like sitting first row floor at a concert you can't see squat and you can't hear half the music.
With the tweets at the bottom of the a or on the outer corner of the dash in a pod surface mount you won't have that problem. The closer you can get them to the mids the more balanced the sound will be.
The subs on the other hand are very non-directional they fill in the bottom end sound were ever they are but like harleyman said you want to get their sound to "bounce" of the surface they are aimed at for the best effect... unless you go for a sealed band-pass box then it does'nt matter as much because you are getting the "thump" from the air movement with-in the box itself.
It really all depends what your goals are with the sound system and what you like to listen to.

Intresting to here....
Well aviator...lets just say I like to Bumpidity Bump Bump to the blackest stuff i can find...I like my rap, but then again 5 secs after that Ill throw on some country or some HxC
I really Listen to everything...And As of right now, the pioneer speakers in the door just dont sound good enough handling it all, although I have the lows on those almost all the way down...The highs and mids just arent as crisp...
So would I be ok keeping those and throwing in some tweets...?

I'd really like to make this sounds as good as possible, thats why im looking for the best advice...So...Im Listening guys...

Old 11-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Oh, And now that you say i'd Be better with 1 sub, Im thinking about selling both of mine and pickup up a kicker 10 that can handle 600rms instead of these puny 300 peak...
Old 11-04-2008, 04:46 PM

So aviator...You think take 3 would be my best bet...?

Old 11-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Looks pretty good but again you'll have to judge by what you like to hear... if you like pounding bass then maybe one sub won't do it for you. A good idea would be to go to a few different car audio specialty shops if you can and discuss your needs with the staff/installer. Let them know you are shopping around and you may be able to source anything you might need at a lower cost.

Some low cost things you can do to help improve the sound are deadening as much of the cab as you can. The rubberized asphalt undercoat spray you can get in a rattle can from napa/pep boys and so on is a low buck version of the expensive Dynaspray sound deadener that Dynamat sells. Spray this on the inside side of the door sheet metal and you will reduce a lot of road noise and help rust proof the car at the same time, just make sure you don't fill in the drain hole/slots at the bottom of the door or you will have rust issues from rain and condensation . You can also use this on all the metal surfaces behind the trim plastic on the back of the cab.
Or you can also apply a sound deadener like Dynamat or B-Quiet to these surfaces and the doors replacing the plastic sheet sealer. Be sure to lubricate the door locks and window crank amd so on well if you do this getting in to service them afterward will be a PITA. I used the B-Quiet product myself it was much cheaper then Dynamat and had a higher noise reduction rating as well... go figure.

Last edited by aviator; 11-04-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:40 PM

Well im trying to make overall sound a bit better...Im thinking some tweeters will put a bit less strain on the door speakers...
And a sub that has an RMS equal to the peak of both of mine now...Sounds good to me..

So, Suggestions on an Amp..Should would 2 channel be what i need ?

And tweeters..?
Alpine..JL..?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:21 AM

how much room is there between your seats? in my truck there's only 9 inches between my seats and it's kind of hard to fit a 10" sub in there. I spent almost 2 weeks building a custom fiberglass box, but it was in our garage when it bunt down
I have a kicker CVR 10 and it needs nearly a cubic foot of internal box volume to sound good. if you're going to go with a 10" kicker then you should build a box with 1.1-1.3 cu.ft of volume. if the box too small volume wise the sub will "bottom out" on it's own pressure in the box.
if you want to sound good spend the time, do the math and double check the math.
BTW: Kicker and JL stuff is pretty much the best out the there for subs and amps and speakers, Pioneer makes some sweet speakers as well and I personally only use Pioneer headunits
Old 11-05-2008, 07:38 AM

Ive had alot of different speakers, kickers, pioneer, jvc, blaupunkt, clarion and out of all of them, infinity speakers sound the best. I dont think your going to like the sound of the highs coming from the middle of the truck, youll be missing out on the right side highs. Box design and cubic feet is all going to depend on your listening preference for your bass, tight and clean, or blow your guts out. There is a decent book that radio shack sells about box design that might justify a quick read in the store for ideas. Best way to figure out your tweeters is to take an old speaker and hook it up to your deck with a long wire and move it around in different spots to see where the location sounds best for you. My subs are right behind the seat and in a smaller box because I dont like alot of bass, just a nice balanced soundstage.