Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

79-83 pickup ideas on sound systems post ur pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 79-83 pickup ideas on sound systems post ur pics

I've searched and searched and havent found any threads on audio for these first gen pickups...... sooo I figured I'd start one to give some ideas on where and how to mount speakers of all shapes and sizes. So on that note PLEASE post your pics of your radio,speakers and custom work, along with an average of what it cost you to build it. If you didnt build it feel free to post links and pics as well. Thank you!

I have a bench seat in mine and I'm loooking for ideas on where to mount a 10" sub behind the seat
Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Love my Infinity Capa 10" sub granted not in an older yota but I dont think ide buy any other sub for the money. Love my Infinitys all around
Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM

about what did your sub cost ?
Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Sorry, I do not have any pictures. However, I would say an 8 inch sub would suffice, unless you are listening to dubstep. I had a JL Audio 8W1V2 sub in my old '88, and that sub was plenty for that little truck, this was with 150 Watts going to it, though. I built the box out of .5 inch thick MDF board. I believe the dimensions were 15" wide, 12" tall, 4.5" deep at the top and 6.5" at the bottom. The back was vertical and the front was sloped. I slid this behind my passenger seat and had to cut off the diagonal support that keeps the frame a rectangle. I never had an issue with the strength of the frame though. The sub was $99 I believe (Kicker and Rockford make similar subs for $50, I believe). I also had a pair of 4" Infinity's in the dash (I don't know if the first generations have spaces for them), and I had 6"x9" Sound Ordnance 2-Way speakers. The 4" were $100 and the 6x9's were $50. I had a Kenwood HD Radio that I purchased for $130 I believe, and a Kenwood Amplifier that I picked up for $50 new on sale. All in all, with wiring, I believe my system was around $450. Which is a little bit expensive, but sounded great. I listen to country, rock, dubstep and some rap. This system handled it all.

For information, look up Crutchfield, and give them a call. They are great with audio and very helpful for me.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 PM

well i spoke with a guy from crutchfield and didnt get much other than its next to impossible lol although he did shed some light on portting a box
Old 12-04-2012, 01:45 PM

Don't have any pics right now. My set up is 6x8 in the doors and 6x9 behind the bench seat. I made boxes to fit behind the seat.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:33 PM

ive found some fiber glass kick pannels on ebay to hold 6.5s and im thinking this is the best route to take so i dont have to do any cutting
Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 AM

Kick panels work great for your highs. If you want some bass go with a cannon. You can buy a powered bass tube that will fit. Even the 6-1/2 model puts out pretty good bass. I would go with an 8" though. You can find some pretty good ones on eBay. Especially bazooka.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:06 AM

I snagged a pair of rear speakers from a '91 Oldsmobile Delta-88; they come in plastic buckets and tuck neatly behind the seats.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Kenwood system installed. A 3008 head unit, 10 disc changer, 4 channel 50 Watt per channel Amp, 5 1/4" 3-way door speakers and 6 1/2" 3-way rear speakers. Look at my album "My Toy". The head unit fit like factory with just minor brace trimming and filing. It will blast you out of the cab if you turn the volume up high and the sound is crystal clear at all volume levels.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by suncomb1
I have a Kenwood system installed. A 3008 head unit, 10 disc changer, 4 channel 50 Watt per channel Amp, 5 1/4" 3-way door speakers and 6 1/2" 3-way rear speakers. Look at my album "My Toy". The head unit fit like factory with just minor brace trimming and filing. It will blast you out of the cab if you turn the volume up high and the sound is crystal clear at all volume levels.
Holy crap where do u keep it all lol I have a quick fix I sawed an old road master box in half and put one speaker on each side for now and in a few weeks im going to but kick panels and some new kicker 6 1/2s to go on the wall by your legs and a probably a 10inch sub to put behind the seat

P.s 6.5in speakers fit under the seat loose and I think I have enough room to build a small box to sit them in these are mid bass and they still sound decent for under the seat lol

As of now I'm just running cheap stuff but now that I have it mechanically sound I'll probably start working on the sound system and extras like roll bar and that stuff
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by RobotMoose
I snagged a pair of rear speakers from a '91 Oldsmobile Delta-88; they come in plastic buckets and tuck neatly behind the seats.
Jaw any pics ?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by duckmaster88
Jaw any pics ?
I'll try and snap a few pics tomorrow morning after work.

I've tinkered with three "systems" to date.
1. A power inverter running a pair of cheapie computer speakers. It got the job done, but it's hard for computer sound system to compete with a 22R and a screaming L52.

2. A bottom-shelf JVC head unit powering the Olds speakers in the rear. I fabbed up a quick bracket stand to mount the stereo head on the tranny tunnel between my bench seat and T-case shifter.
After a while I gutted the computer speakers and had them high in the doors, but the moisture got to them. I picked up some Ferd 6" speakers from an Exploder and have those now. I'm pretty happy with this system, but it's such a space hog.

3. Currently in the process of making this right now:
- I've acquired an older Toshiba laptop with a burned out video card and purged it. It will dwell underneath my glove box.
- MP3Car.Com sold me a 7" liliput touch screen monitor that runs strictly on USB, and it fits almost perfectly over the stereo and map pocket bays of a stock first-gen dash. (You may have to relocate the OEM pot switch for the fan controls).
- I'm planning on getting a pair of mid-range marine amplifiers to mount under the passenger seat. One amp runs the front speakers, one amp runs the rear speakers.
- I'm currently using StreetDeck as a UI. I've tinkered with Centrafuse and RideRunner as well. CF crashed religiously and RR was confusing at best. I've had the best luck with SD.
- A pair of PAC Audio pot switches to control zone volume.
- GPS and wireless antenne for sat-nav and internet.
- Random USB extensions for keyboard and Zune.

I'm planning on posting a thread on the buildup of this soon. I'm still in the early stages, but it seems to be the best way to get a quality sound system with navigation and a remote face. It's the most efficient way to utilize the limited space in our trucks.

However, there is an easier way than my project:
- Remove the plastic bin that makes up the glovebox, beneath it, there's enough space for a decent amplifier. Buy one, wire it in on its own circuit with a toggle.
- Run a PAC Audio pot switch to the amp, and mount it on the dash.
- Reassemble the glove box.
- Plug in your MP3 player to the switch and go.
It's a great system that alot of Rodders use (my uncle has it on his 50 Ford pickup). It can be wired into the OEM speakers with very little cutting of wire, and it's well hidden, and doesn't stand out to potential thieves.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 AM

Head unit is in stock location, Amp is under the driver's seat, Disc unit is mounted on Passenger side rear wall, 6.5" speakers are mounted in rear pillars and 5.25" front speakers are mounted in lower front sections of the doors. Amp power wiring is run under Driver's side threshold plate, Amp signal / Speaker wires are run along center hump on Driver's side. All speakers have foam mounting baffles. Like I said, the system will blast you out of the cab and is crystal clear at all volume levels.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 AM

Well here is what I done for now I ordered some kick panels so I can replace this jerry rig but it works for now and I didn't have to tear anything up

This I a box I had laying around so I cut it down the center and tacked a piece of plywood on the side so it would fit one on each side looks tacky but it will work until my kick panels come in
79-83 pickup ideas on sound systems post ur pics-image-1653769266.jpg

79-83 pickup ideas on sound systems post ur pics-image-3588920176.jpg

I have two 6.5s mid bass (one under each seat) I need to build a full box for it but like I said this works for now since music isn't a necessity right now
79-83 pickup ideas on sound systems post ur pics-image-4168968286.jpg
Old 03-18-2014, 03:01 AM

I put a 12 inch sub speaker box that I had cut down to size to fit behind the passenger seat of my 82 pick up and then I threw some 4 inch speakers on the doors and I haven't had one complaint except from the neighbors saying they're trying to go to sleep.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by 2wdTOYota
I put a 12 inch sub speaker box that I had cut down to size to fit behind the passenger seat of my 82 pick up and then I threw some 4 inch speakers on the doors and I haven't had one complaint except from the neighbors saying they're trying to go to sleep.
That's the reason why we can't have nice things!
Old 03-18-2014, 04:41 AM

I need some ideas on a type of radio and speakers.And also places to put them in my 86 toyota 4x4 single cab.I have two pioneer speakers are they the good type