Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

4th gen sub box build

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th gen sub box build (pics)

I was bored today because it's my weekend (mon-tues) so I decided I would try my hand at building a custom box for my runner. I have wanted to have something like this since I got her. I like the sleekness of the JL stealthbox but refuse to overpay for it, especially since I already have the sub and you can't just buy the enclosure.

I got the idea from someone on here that built a similar box but I never got the dimensions so I decided to just kind of wing it. I figure since I had 2 sheets of 3' x 4', 3/4" MDF left over from building my workbench in my new house I can't go wrong.

NONE of these are by any means precise dimensions, but its what I tried. I dont know how it will work out.

I decided the entire width would be about 7" wide. So I started by cutting a few strips to be 5 1/2" wide. See pic for lengths.

I just cut one piece after another and test fitted them. Some of the angles didnt end up being how I had intended, but I think it will work out ok.

Here's a pic of the old box I am attempting to upgrade from, mostly to save useable space for other junk:

I honestly have no idea what the interior volume of the new (attempted) box will be. Hopefully it will sound good. This is as far as I got today, I will continue working on it tuesday and post what else I have finished.

Also, here is some pics of how I mounted my amp under the front passenger seat. I would say it took me 5-6 hours. I was in no rush and had the day off. Because of how the 4th gen runners have the rear foot vent I decided to mount the amp on some 2x2 wood to make room for air to flow underneath. Due to limited wood on hand I actually used one piece of 2x2 on one side and 2 pieces of 1x2 on the other side.

a closer look

I ran 4 gauge wire to the amp because I plan to add another amp for the aftermarket speakers I will add someday. Never hurts to plan ahead. Here's how I ran the power cable for now. I mounted the amp fuse to the top of the fuse box. Just seemed like an easy place to put it.

Heres where I ran it into the car.

Here's the inside of where it came into the car.

Here's (roughly) the route where I ran the power cable:

I ran the cable down the center console and out the other side under the carpet to under the passenger seat. It was a PITA to get all the wires(4ga power, 4ga ground, turn on lead, interconnect) under the plastic and carpet and wasnt in the mood to take pics of that tho.

Anyhow, I will post tomorrow about how the rest of the new box build goes.

Last edited by v8sport4runner; 11-16-2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:01 PM

good stuff ... nice documentation too. Keep us updated
Old 11-17-2004, 03:22 PM

Thanks, I finished the box and put the sub in it today. It sounds good, probably not quite as boomy as the original box was, but i only listened to it for about 10 minutes so. All i need to do now is get some gray carpet to match the rest and figure out exactly how i am going to anchor the whole thing in to keep it secure. Ill post a few more pics later.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:39 PM

So here are some more pics:
I sealed the box with some silicone sealant

Here is where i mounted the terminal for the speaker. Its along the part that goes down the back of the wheel well.

Here is what it looks like in the car, the rope around it is just temporary. Although it does hold it in quite nicely.

About the cover fitting, here is a pic of it under the bar

and a pic of it where it hits

It doesnt hit so bad that i am worried about it, i kinda wish i had noticed this during construction but i didnt, so ˟˟˟˟˟˟ it.

The reason it is notched on the backside is so i can still ge to the outlet if i need to

I am still working on how i am going to anchor it. I will go to the hardware store and see what i can find to do the trick. As soon as i get some carpet for it I'll post pics of the final product.

Last edited by v8sport4runner; 11-17-2004 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:59 AM

Here is a picture of the final project

Here is how the cover hits a bit but is still easy to close

and here is how i have it mounted in right now. A couple of little d-ring type hanging brackets and some mini-bungee cords. It makes it easy to take out if i need to. And i dont have a problem with it moving/rattling at all.

Old 11-24-2004, 04:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good man, congrats!